Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 d4d yaris whooshing noise on acceleration

bluerav4

Coming back on the M1 today I noticed the car started making a whooshing noise on acceleration. There’s no loss of power or speed just makes the whooshing noise when you accelerate. When I left the motorway it wa a fine unless I put my foot down and then it does it again. Would be grateful for any advice. 
TIA 

How long have you owned it? You do know it's got a turbo? Have a look under the bonnet while somone blips the accelerator to see if a hose has blown off.

Yeah, check your turbo hoses and also the air filter - Something might not be sealed properly or have come loose!

My 2nd Mk1 Yaris had a much more noticeable turbo whine than my first one when I got it, and I discovered it was because the previous owner had somehow put the air filter in wrong (I still don't understand how - It's keyed!!), so the air box wasn't shutting properly :laugh: 

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, check your turbo hoses and also the air filter - Something might not be sealed properly or have come loose!

My 2nd Mk1 Yaris had a much more noticeable turbo whine than my first one when I got it, and I discovered it was because the previous owner had somehow put the air filter in wrong (I still don't understand how - It's keyed!!), so the air box wasn't shutting properly :laugh: 

I don’t have a clue about cars or where to look 😩 but thank you for the advice I’ll ask my neighbour who’s a bit more knowledgeable than I am.

43 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

How long have you owned it? You do know it's got a turbo? Have a look under the bonnet while somone blips the accelerator to see if a hose has blown off.

We’ve only just recently bought this one as a temporary car to replace the Rav but we’ve had it for about a month now and it spends most of its time on the motorway and it’s only happened today but thank you for your reply I will ask someone to check for me 

So, Sheen, you talking here about a 2007 Yaris d4d. In the answers you mention the Yaris temporary replaced a Rav (does that mean you will be getting another Rav), and your avatar says you have a 2010 SR180, do you still have that car? You can alter your avatar as you add delete cars. Makes it easier for someone trying to help with problems, for example we have two Toyotas, both clearly identified by year and model in my avatar.

7 hours ago, Catlover said:

So, Sheen, you talking here about a 2007 Yaris d4d. In the answers you mention the Yaris temporary replaced a Rav (does that mean you will be getting another Rav), and your avatar says you have a 2010 SR180, do you still have that car? You can alter your avatar as you add delete cars. Makes it easier for someone trying to help with problems, for example we have two Toyotas, both clearly identified by year and model in my avatar.

Lol, yeah I need to update it the Ravs now gone and will be replaced with a Rav. We had C-HR Excel up until last week too but the PCP finished and we’re still deciding Rav or the new Corolla crossover. In the meantime the Yaris belonged to a member of the family who’s had it from new so will be using this.

• Like 1

Update

you guys were right it was a pipe that had come loose somehow. So it was the pipe when you remove the black engine cover to the right there’s quite a large pipe that goes into engine I think and that was loose. Put a new clip on and it’s perfect again. 
thank you again for the advice 

• Like 2