Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yearly Service & Oil Question

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Everybody,

Gosh time flies, just realised we've had our Aygo for 6 years now! 

My question today is in regards to oil consumption. Did my service yesterday evening, genuine parts from toyota as usual, oil, oil filter, 3 sparks, air filter and pollen filter.

Anyway, upon draining my oil I noticed that it didn't drain much, I'd say 1.5L at the most. I couldn't see any obvious leaks from underneath. She drives much better post the service.

My question is where does most of my 3.3L service oil go in a year? And should I consider an oil and oil filter change every 6 months maybe?

She's a 2008 3 door manual petrol, with 75,286 miles on her now, purchased 6 years ago with 43k on her, I currently drive approx 600 miles a month local runs..crazy I know.

Cheers guys

To many unknowns. Did you measure 1.5L draining out or just think it looked about like that? First question has to be whether you actually check the dipstick throughout the year and to see if it really is using oil.

• Like 2

most of these cars burn oil as do many other brands 

you should be checking it more often and topping it up , will cause severe damage if it ever runs low  

• Like 1

How much oil was left in the filter?

3.3L - 1.5L = 1.8L which is about twice as much as the difference between the upper and lower marks n the dipstick, which surely you would have noticed when regularly checking the oil level?

Like others said :

start checking the oil more often by making use of the dipstick.

Every 1000 km, or to make it easy : every second petrol filling, check the oil too.

This car in particular should have it's dipstick checked often enough as there is so little oil in it.
Things like this usually go worse and not better if you don't do anything to prevent worse.

No need to do more than one oil change a year with that mileage you are doing.
Just add 1/2 liter on the way every X months when that appears to be necessary.
Don't overfill. The name 'maximum' on the dipstick is something to be taken literally.

Worst case scenario, you would be using (according to what you say) around 1 liter every 6000 km.
That's not even very bad..  I would not consider an engine to be worn before it burns one  liter

every 500 - 800 km and you are a long way from that.

Where is it going ? Through the tailpipe probably. Your engine is burning it if you have no leaks.

You could check and see if there is oil on the bottom of the engine or if your screw on the bottom of the oil pan got it's new washer and didn't leak a bit.
Other possible cause : did you use too thin oil / not the right viscosity/ garbage priced (Aldi type) oil. That could make you burn oil too.

Good luck and hope you will be happy many more years to come.

• Like 1

If it's a Mk1 and esp if you're using 0w20, they do tend to use up more oil at higher rpms so if you've been hooning it about a bit it's probably normal. Still would be worth checking it and tyre pressures on a semi-regular basis (Although I'm being a bit hypocritical as I'm down 5psi on all 4 corners and have been slacking off the oil checks as it's such a new car that if it has used any oil I'm going to get anxious!)

i use 10/40 in mine and it hardly uses any now.....okay 0/20 was fine for a brand new engine , im so sure its suitable for a used engine and using oil will damage the cat too 

By the way : 3,3 liter is the factory filling number, total content.

Refill for maintenance is 2,8 liter. Oil filter replacement included.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

If it's a Mk1 and esp if you're using 0w20, they do tend to use up more oil at higher rpms so if you've been hooning it about a bit it's probably normal. Still would be worth checking it and tyre pressures on a semi-regular basis (Although I'm being a bit hypocritical as I'm down 5psi on all 4 corners and have been slacking off the oil checks as it's such a new car that if it has used any oil I'm going to get anxious!)

Was 0w-20 recommended for use in a 2008 Aygo?

Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

Mooly: I must admit I did not measure it, I should have but I didn't due to the weather, and I poured the old oil from my oil pan into a 3litre plastic vimto bottle which filled less than a quarter from the bottom.

Steveo3002: I agree that I need to keep a closer eye on my dipstick from now on. At ever fill I check my tyre pressure, I'll add dipstick checks to it. Interesting how you use 10w 40, what year and mileage is your Aygo? Do you find it affects fuel economy re your car too?

Haelewyn: I have 1.5l of fresh oil left hence I'll use that for top ups, to confirm I only buy my service parts at my toyota dealership, hence genuine 5w 30 toyota oil. You mention 2.8L of oil at service yet the handbook states 3.3L so I'm little confused there. 

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Was 0w-20 recommended for use in a 2008 Aygo?

Hi 

I was just thinking that, it does state clearly in the handbook use 0w 20 and if that isn't available use 5w 30, as I buy my parts at my toyota dealership they just hand me 5w 30 and away I go. 

When my Prius, or the wife’s Auris, goes for service I always stipulate 0w-20 to be used. That’s because somewhere on this forum it was suggested the dealer will stick in the cheaper 5w-30. I don’t know if that true but I now stipulate what the book says.  Last service for the Prius they told me they were putting in 0w-16 which I think is dearer still. I queried it, as it was a change, they checked and said yes 0-w16, I agreed, and they put it in. I will add that I do have a good dealer, and I not the only one that thinks that.

• Like 1

https://howmuchoil.com/toyota-aygo-engine-oil-capacity/

Found on this website the pre 2014 models take 3,1 liter for oil change while mine (post 2014) would take 2,8.

I did find the 3,3 liter original filling on an other website.

0,5 liter difference between the one and the other would imho be too much though.

I guess yours is 3,1 - 3,3 , service - original filling.

If you top up to maximum and use the right numbers for your particular car, you can't go wrong.

Each to his own... I wouldn't buy the oil from the dealer.

mine is an 11 reg i got it at 77k ...the 10/40 doesnt effect the fuel economy its always done 56mpg with 0/20 or 5/30 and the engine sounds a little better

its still an approved grade so youre not doing anything silly , ive spoke to several  owners over in europe and thats what they run 

main thing is NEVER EVER  let it run low - bad things will happen £££ 

my thoughts are they are forced into using water thin oils to comply with modern emissions standards , while i would go along with it for a car under warranty , im happy if the engine sounds happy and isnt using 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles 

Oil viscosity is specific for the engine as per manufacturer recommendation for a reasons, best to stick with it. Thinner oils does not cause harm or provide less lubricating to the engine parts, even quite opposite. Oil pressure is the one responsible for good protection properties and when oil is thicker or out of specs may cause premature wear. Oil film usually is very thin, it’s like nothing between the moving parts but actually creates invisible protection, no need to be thicker to protects more. Oil also has to work in various temperatures, the thicker one may not be as good as the thinner one in cold but the thinner one is good enough in hot if within the specs. 10w40 often is semi synthetic, less quality oil than full synthetic 0w20 for example, and has completely different parameters, not only for fuel efficiency but for everything else. The oil level is best to be kept at max level for cooling reasons and if eventually oil consumption, less risk of running out of oil, and the most important of all is to do regular under bonnet checks, once a week, or two weeks at least, less you  drive more often you check, perhaps if you drive ones a month, tyre checks, fluids and oil checks before each departure. Forgot to mention, check your air filter, sometimes when oil is low, can be burnt, leaked or went into the air filter if the car has an issue with pcv (positive crankcase ventilation), new valve needs to be replaced and new air filter 👍

• Like 1

Our Peugeot 107 (2008) with same engine, my service handbook recommends 5w/30, but mentions 10w40 also ok amongst a few others, possibly even chip fat 😊, in my experience heard of many of these engines start to burn oil but can quite happily go on for 150K+ with regular servicing with quality oil. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our 100k 11 year old Aygo uses a little oil - we've only had it since November, but son racked up 4000 miles in it. It does use more than our two 4 cylinder Nissans by some way (they get a little top up between services), but I check the Aygo monthly, and it usually takes a little. Nothing like what a new Alfa took - always had to carry oil.  I'm just out of practice checking and topping up as a Yaris we had from new in 1999 for 17 years never needed top ups between services, but that was a 4 cylinder. 

• Like 1

A bit late to the party here but I just took a look in the Haynes manual. It says 3.1 litres total fill to top mark. It also says that between top and bottom marks it is approx 1 litre. So on bottom mark there should be 2.1 litres in it. To only have got 1.5litres out it must have been well off the bottom of the dipstick unless Haynes have it wrong. Its not even as though there is much in the diddy oil filter you disposed of.

There have been so many discussions here and on other forums regarding oil. I was considering a compromise of 5w 40 which should in theory give a decent cold start but wont thin so much when hot.

According to the user guide the recommended oil for my Aygo, which was registered last July, is 0W 16.  When I started driving many years ago I think that would have been regarded as water.

• Like 1

An extensive test of VW 502.00 motor oils was published in the magazine Svět motorů No. 8/2022, published in the Czech Republic, and the original Suzuki 0W16 oil was also tested for comparison purposes. The Suzuki 0W16 oil test was extremely favorable in terms of engine wear. I have no problem with these low viscosity oils, especially in Japanese engines.

9 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

According to the user guide the recommended oil for my Aygo, which was registered last July, is 0W 16.  When I started driving many years ago I think that would have been regarded as water.

I know, I bought a top-up bottle of 0W16 oil today and it actually sounds like water when shaken! 

• Haha 1

Mine's specced for 0w8!!!!

I wonder how long before we get -16w0 :laugh: