Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tear In Leather Seat

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hello Everyone,

My others half was devastated to find what seems like a tear on the side of his drivers seat, possibly a crack maybe in the leather, its his pride and joy and regularly cleans his seats with a damp cloth.

Can anybody suggest a fix? 

It's a 2010 t27 2.0 diesel now touching 72k on the clock and very well look after.

We've no idea what caused this tear.

20220211_173607.jpg

I recommend Furniture Clinic's leather repair kit. Couple of my friends have repaired tear in their seats with that kit and I've used same company's steering wheel repair kit to my T27.

• Like 1

Sam, and any one else with leather in the car or home, contact LTT (leather technical and training), speak to Judy. She will be able to advise a local technician who can solve your problem

https://www.lttleathercare.com/

Sam, leather needs feeding or it will dry and crack. Where that crack/split is a point in the seat cushion that gets squished over and over again. Water will not keep it supple. When that seat was part of a cow it would have nourishment, that’s what’s needed when it’s a seat. Once it is repaired you can get quality, and I mean quality, products off LTT that will maintain your hubbys seat.

• Like 1

Online you can find a website that tells you everything you need to know about leather. 

When you get to cheap mass produced products like car seat the leather will have been reduced to a pulp and reformed as leather.

Found it:

Www.Libertyleathergoods.com 

Car leather is most likely Bonded Leather 

Cheers guys, much appreciated are your inputs, jiin and catlover provide 2 avenues to pursue, I think applying a learher glue and holding it down and using a hairdryer to reduce drying time may be the way. The vehicles getting on 12 years now, as with anything in life age will always finally catch up.

Just butting two pieces together with glue….. I think it would soon part ways again.  Is there any leather under the seat spare…. Cut it bigger then slit, length and width, press it in behind the tear, try and get gorilla glue or such like behind the tear onto this fresh piece and then do what you suggest… that will work better. Gorilla glue is pretty quick to set, but time is better still.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've also got a Avensis 2010 and I've always thought the leather was just leather look ie man made PVC type stuff and not real leather.  Can anyone confirm? As the care maintenance and cleaning would be quite different depending on which it is.

On 2/13/2022 at 8:46 AM, Catlover said:

Just butting two pieces together with glue….. I think it would soon part ways again.  Is there any leather under the seat spare…. Cut it bigger then slit, length and width, press it in behind the tear, try and get gorilla glue or such like behind the tear onto this fresh piece and then do what you suggest… that will work better. Gorilla glue is pretty quick to set, but time is better still.

Yes Catlover is correct you need to provide a backing material behind the tear to reinforce the repair, otherwise it will come apart when it comes under any sort of pressure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links