Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trading in corolla for Rav 4 AWD Excel

Rosgoe

I am thinking of trading in my corolla for a rav4 excel AWD with pan roof which takes it over £40000 first years road tax is £210 then next 5 years is an extra £335 on top of the £210. If I can negotiate a price below £40000 does that mean I won’t have to pay the extra road tax or is the road tax based on the full retail price.

Basing the VED on a negotiated price wouldn't be workable.

1 hour ago, Rosgoe said:

I am thinking of trading in my corolla for a rav4 excel AWD with pan roof which takes it over £40000 first years road tax is £210 then next 5 years is an extra £335 on top of the £210. If I can negotiate a price below £40000 does that mean I won’t have to pay the extra road tax or is the road tax based on the full retail price.

Based on list price, which is OTR price minus VED (road tax) and registration charge so whatever colour you choose you are over £40000 with Excel AWD.

Thanks all what I thought will wait and see what the corolla cross will be like in top spec hopefully less than £40000 .

It’s not that I can’t afford the extra road tax just can’t justify over £500 in VED for what we get on the diabolical state of our roads.

• Like 1

Just about to tax my RAV AWD dynamic which is coming up to 1 year old next month £145. If I was buying it this year looks like I too would be paying the higher rate including £500 from year 2. Doesn’t make any sense really that essentially the same car has different VED rates. Should be again based on emissions not value. 
Corolla cross looks interesting looks like a slightly smaller RAV. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rosgoe said:

Thanks all what I thought will wait and see what the corolla cross will be like in top spec hopefully less than £40000 .

It’s not that I can’t afford the extra road tax just can’t justify over £500 in VED for what we get on the diabolical state of our roads.

I feel the same way about the road tax, I ordered mine back in October and thought I would be OK but in the time since then its gone up £3220.

I should hopefully get it at that price, we will see.

It doesn’t matter what price you pay, it’s the list price at the time of registration that determines the VED/RFL. 

It won’t be long anyway before we will all be paying as we travel from what I have been reading all cars will be fitted with gps trackers and ved will be scrapped and you will be charged as you use ice,electric and hybrid goverment has 36 billion black hole in its finances from more electric cars on the road and cars that are taxed at 0 and the ones that are £20 or £30 a year to tax.

The Chancellor supposedly turned down road pricing before the 2021 budget - so it isn't clear whether road pricing will come in as yet.

Aside from that, if it does come in, I can see all new cars being fitted with GPS trackers from a certain date, but it will be more difficult for existing owners to be made to pay for and have trackers fitted.

In which case we may have a hybrid system where new cars, which have GPS trackers, are on road pricing, and existing ones (petrol, diesel and electric) continue on an revised version of the existing system.

• Like 2

The 3 current systems you mean :laugh: 

TBH I can't see them using GPS to track mileage - It would also need active mobile chips to transmit the data back to Somewhere, which someone would have to pay for, and who's going to procure, set up, administer and regulate the Somewhere? It would all be stupidly expensive and likely buggy AF - Look at the fiasco of the NHS and Post Office systems - and the DVLA are already loosing an order of magnitude more money than they saved from abolishing the tax disc, so I can't see them financing it, and on top of that it would be a privacy nightmare - They'd get sued to oblivion under GDPR breach rules as soon as it gets hacked, and being an online system it will!

There isn't even any need to do so since annual mileage is recorded during the MOT, but our government aren't known for their common sense and certain members are probably salivating over the opportunity to GPS track everyone's car...

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The 3 current systems you mean

Doesn't have to mirror the systems we have now. The current systems could be easily merged into one for existing cars and road pricing for new.

I've worked in procurement for central government, and changes in policy, etc are done quite often.

Yeah, but then why haven't they done it already? If they're willing to make a fairly major policy change like abolish the tax disc to save a relatively tiny sum (Esp. compared to how much they lost!), you'd think they'd have amalgamated the systems already rather than maintain 3 separate systems, esp. given that it would be much simpler and therefore cheaper to administer a fixed-fee system as levied on post-2017 cars, instead of 3 separate systems that are based on totally different criteria.

I can only imagine they haven't done so because the legalities involved are a lot more complex than implied, so they must figure that it's cheaper to just keep tacking on new systems than unravel that ball of wool!

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, but then why haven't they done it already?

Presumably because they haven't seen the need to as yet.

There is also the consideration for locality, cities have public transport that is easily obtained, however rural users have no choice. The village I live in sees one bus an hour and they only run between 8am and 6pm that's it not exactly accessible public transport. So a one fits all pay as you drive approach would also prove to be an unfair and discriminatory system to rural areas. We can't all live in cities.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links