Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel economy

desarge

Hi,I have query inrelation to my 2016 avensis ts 2.0 diesel.the fuel economy is not making any sense .I have just filled the tank this morning and headed of on a short journey,100km round trip.the fuel gauge is showing slightly above the 3/4 full marker.No a/c was on during the trip and speed was kept within speed limits.vehicle is 8000km after a toyota service and still under warranty.If the tank is 60 liters and gauge is at 3/4 full mark this would equate to approx 15 liters per hundred km.The car has 80000km on the clock,no leaks,in excellent condition whats causing the excessive fuel consumption??opinions  appreciated.thanks in advance.

How much fuel did you put in? If less than 15 litres, this can give false readings.

Think, as with some Toyota other models the fuel gauge operates in a non-linear way, and the gauge reading goes out more quickly as the tank empties.

Realistically you need to do a manual calculation of the consumption preferably using a brim-to-brim method to get a more accurate picture of the consumption.

Just so you're aware in future the low fuel light will illuminate when the reserve is reached  (which in the 2016 Avensis is 9 litres), rather than when the tank is empty.

• Like 2

Thanks for advice.she was 1/4 full when refilled.i will top up to brim and do a full km count on display.I will update the post with results.

57 minutes ago, desarge said:

Thanks for advice.she was 1/4 full when refilled.i will top up to brim and do a full km count on display.I will update the post with results.

Don’t over fill, as soon as the pump clicks cease putting any more in the tank, same when refilling, then you can do your calculations.

• Like 3

I have the same car. On average it takes 44 litres to refill once the low fuel light comes on - seems to a huge reserve…
I get something similar in terms of km out of the first 1/4 tank too.  

Yes,the consumption does appear to be excessive at first.the final figures will tell us the kms per tank.thanks.

So here is what my car did on a full tank until fuel light came on and filled up to top again .it's a 2014 2.0 1adftv engine .plus tbh I don't do any motorway driving tbh short drives maybe a bit longer at weekends .pic one is what I got from full tank to light come on and second one is what it costed to fill the car up from light on until it clicked then nearest quid 

Screenshot_20220218-181043.png

Screenshot_20220218-181020.png

48.01/4.54 litres = 10.57 gallons.  10.57 gallons/381 miles gives 36.04 mpg. 

I have the same age car/engine and mine does similar on urban driving.

I get up to 45 on long runs/motorway driving.

Highest ever was 47 mpg on a full tank.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crofts2007 said:

48.01/4.54 litres = 10.57 gallons.  10.57 gallons/381 miles gives 36.04 mpg. 

I have the same age car/engine and mine does similar on urban driving.

I get up to 45 on long runs/motorway driving.

Highest ever was 47 mpg on a full tank.

Thanks was not sure if my one was really bad on fuel tbh .it's not as easy run as my last 1.9tdi I had but suppose it is what it is .I love the way the book says u get 60mpg which is complete lies .tbh all I do is short runs avd maybe long ones at weekend but sometimes not 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

I love the way the book says u get 60mpg which is complete lies

Manufacturers legally have to use the official fuel consumption figures which are obtained from a laboratory based testing regime. The testing regime isn't intended to illustrate the consumption owners will get. It is intended to be a standard test that can be used as a comparison between models which have all undergone the same test.

• Like 2

I am currently monitoring my fuel consumption,ay the moment i am on half a tank used for 298kms completed. i will post total kms driven when the tank is  empty.

What you need to calculate is the fuel consumption - ie when you fill up, the distance travelled divided by the number of litres bought. So for example if you fill up now, the number of litres you have put in divided by 298.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2009joe said:

Thanks was not sure if my one was really bad on fuel tbh .it's not as easy run as my last 1.9tdi I had but suppose it is what it is .I love the way the book says u get 60mpg which is complete lies .tbh all I do is short runs avd maybe long ones at weekend but sometimes not 

Yeah those NEDC mpg quotes were works of fiction Stephen King would be proud of :laugh: 

I still love how the Mk3 Yaris is rated at 81mpg... only about 30 out on average :laugh: 

My old diesel Mk1 was the only car I've known that was almost dead on - It was rated at 64mph and that's roughly what I got!

The new WLTP is a lot more accurate for petrol and diesel, but quite off for HEV, PHV mpg and its range calcs for EV are as bad as the NEDC mpg figures :laugh: . They still have work to do!

IMHO they really should have used my Hooligan Drive Cycle idea :laugh: 

Frankly I would have been happy with mpg figures for a hard a 0-60 sprint, constant 30mph and constant 70mph instead of the contrived cycle they try to use. These'd be much easier to do consistently and wouldn't be seen as realistic real-world figures, but good indicators to extrapolate from.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah those NEDC mpg quotes were works of fiction Stephen King would be proud of :laugh: 

I still love how the Mk3 Yaris is rated at 81mpg... only about 30 out on average :laugh: 

My old diesel Mk1 was the only car I've known that was almost dead on - It was rated at 64mph and that's roughly what I got!

The new WLTP is a lot more accurate for petrol and diesel, but quite off for HEV, PHV mpg and its range calcs for EV are as bad as the NEDC mpg figures :laugh: . They still have work to do!

IMHO they really should have used my Hooligan Drive Cycle idea :laugh: 

Frankly I would have been happy with mpg figures for a hard a 0-60 sprint, constant 30mph and constant 70mph instead of the contrived cycle they try to use. These'd be much easier to do consistently and wouldn't be seen as realistic real-world figures, but good indicators to extrapolate from.

when u say your old diesel mk1 by chance was it a vw golf 1.9tdi non pd 

No, just a Mk1 Yaris D4D :laugh: 

Was a bloody good car that - If it wasn't for this stupid ULEZ (KHAAAAAAN!) I'd still be driving it now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

No, just a Mk1 Yaris D4D :laugh: 

Was a !Removed! good car that - If it wasn't for this stupid ULEZ (KHAAAAAAN!) I'd still be driving it now!

what size of a engine did they have .i heard u get great mpg with the new vw golf 1.6tdi engines 

It was a 1.4 turbo diesel; Only 74hp IIRC - The Mk2 had an uprated version of the same engine with 90hp but later they stuck a DPF and DMF on it and ruined its reliability :sad:

• Like 1

Not sure what you lot do when you drive to get that kind of mpg 🤪 Our T25 2.2D4D is sitting over 50mpg quite happilly. And my old 1.9 PD Skoda averaged over 56mpg, And the wife's old Mk1 Yaris D4D wouldn't go below 62mpg no matter what you did to it😄 even averaged 29mpg in my old S-type and that was a 3L V6 petrol with an auto box.

Might be worth looking at maintainence regime (especially for binding brakes and tyre pressure/alignment) but also driving technique, how far you look/read ahead, in gear coasting rather than braking etc. Also, ignore any shift up warnings on the dash, they really dont help in the real world. You want to roughly be between 1500-2500rpm, needing more throttle due to load/hills etc = be at the higher RPM. Also remember a TD is most efficient at WOT, so if you need to accelerate get it done quick😉

• Like 1

Yeah that was one thing I loved about my Mk1 D4D and hated about the Mk2 VVTi! I could hoon the D4D all day and it barely made any impact on the mpg, but just giving the VVTi the beans a few times would drop 5-10 mpg! :crybaby: 

The Mk4 is a weird mix of both - A bit of hooning barely affects the mpg, but if I do too much it will suddenly have a much bigger impact which then requires a lot more boring driving to recoup!

3 hours ago, robt100 said:

Not sure what you lot do when you drive to get that kind of mpg 🤪 Our T25 2.2D4D is sitting over 50mpg quite happilly. And my old 1.9 PD Skoda averaged over 56mpg, And the wife's old Mk1 Yaris D4D wouldn't go below 62mpg no matter what you did to it😄 even averaged 29mpg in my old S-type and that was a 3L V6 petrol with an auto box.

Might be worth looking at maintainence regime (especially for binding brakes and tyre pressure/alignment) but also driving technique, how far you look/read ahead, in gear coasting rather than braking etc. Also, ignore any shift up warnings on the dash, they really dont help in the real world. You want to roughly be between 1500-2500rpm, needing more throttle due to load/hills etc = be at the higher RPM. Also remember a TD is most efficient at WOT, so if you need to accelerate get it done quick😉

well my car was serviced all its life with toyota and well when i got it came with 38k on the clock plus its getting the same mpg i dont know why its so **** compared to my old 1.9tdi .the toyota is way heavier and well i dor drive it about 1000  and 2500 i try to cruse on at low rpms and other times chuck it out of gear. the car dose what it dose and well i cant drive it or do any better to get better mpg on it. plus that stupid shift up ligt i dont bother with that tbh i would love id there is a way threw toyota techstream software to do away with that annoying light coming on like that 

Does yours have an engine temp gauge? What sort of engine temps are you running at?

One thing I found with diesels is they are very sensitive to engine temp - When they're running below optimum the mpg is garbage. My hybrid has the same problem.

I used to really annoy my mate because I got so much better mpg than he did in my D4D vs his Audi A3 1.6TDI,  which was rated at better mpg, and it turned out one big difference in our driving was he was accelerating very gently whereas I would e.g. nearly full-bore off the line a lot. :whistling1:

The result was my engine would be burning hot all the time while his was barely lukewarm and constantly in a 'warming up' state, esp in winter.

I'm not saying floor it everywhere, but I find in urban environments I got better mpg if I used more aggressive acceleration up to my target speed then switched to the highest gear the car could run at that speed and cruised nearly at idle.

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Does yours have an engine temp gauge? What sort of engine temps are you running at?

One thing I found with diesels is they are very sensitive to engine temp - When they're running below optimum the mpg is garbage. My hybrid has the same problem.

I used to really annoy my mate because I got so much better mpg than he did in my D4D vs his Audi A3 1.6TDI,  which was rated at better mpg, and it turned out one big difference in our driving was he was accelerating very gently whereas I would e.g. nearly full-bore off the line a lot. :whistling1:

The result was my engine would be burning hot all the time while his was barely lukewarm and constantly in a 'warming up' state, esp in winter.

I'm not saying floor it everywhere, but I find in urban environments I got better mpg if I used more aggressive acceleration up to my target speed then switched to the highest gear the car could run at that speed and cruised nearly at idle.

well id start it in the mornings go in get ready for work let it heat up then when ready for work and drive it it comes to operating temp but im guessing its one of those things i will not know why mine is so crap on mpg where its supposed to but im thinking others they say they are getting the same mpg as me .but tbh the 1.9tdi did get better mpg than this toyota but its heavier this car .alos im in 2 minds of selling it on for a ve golf 1.6tdi but the toyota is really comfortable i like the extra room and comfort compared to the vw 

So, Joe, you starting the car and letting it warm up a bit before driving. The fuel used to do that is going to affect the mpg.

• Like 2

yeah don't bother idling it to heat it up, just start driving - it'll heat itself up much faster when it's being used as diesels generate a lot less heat when idling than petrols.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links