Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid system malfunction

Ttt90

Hi my 2017 auris hybrid just suddenly went into limp mode whilst accelerating on the slip road with the warning , hybrid system malfunction please stop in a safe place and check pre crash safety , I've replaced the 12v Battery and it ran for half a day but this happened again. I've took it to my dealership and he didn't get any fault codes apparently but he thinks the fuel pump needs replacing at a cost of 750 pound. Any ideas would be great thanks.

Hi, 

You need to run a diagnostic first to see the fault codes, there should be any if you have a warning on the dashboard. There are many possible reasons for that to happen, problems with engine, electric motor, Battery, inverter, clutch damper or even a software glitch etc. Best not to attempt to change any parts or repair anything without reading properly fault codes and determine the real reason. I think, he thinks without been 100% sure may cost you a lot and cause further issues. If you have engine management light on together with warning light on you likely to have more than one faults registered. Do not drive the car like that as you may cause further damage to inverter or Battery in case any of the cooling systems components has failed. 
Good luck 🤞 

Hi thanks for reply , the technician said no fault code came up but that the fuel pump seems faulty so that needs replacing and further investigation is needed (his exact words) and to be honest I've had auris's for 5 years and with every problem it's an argument with them to fix under warranty ect I'm now out of warranty and this has happened and I'm stuck with what to do.

How long have you had the car?
Has it been serviced in accord with Toyota specification at main dealer or an “approved” other garage?         
How come it has 136k mile?

I've had the car from new and yes always been serviced at main dealer until the 100000 mile warranty ran out.

Ttt, that makes is commercial. 

That makes a difference in how they will look at it. 

What is the resale value of the car?  

But how he found the fuel pump was faulty? There is no way you get hybrid system malfunction and no fault codes?! Why don’t you check with someone else to run diagnostic. Who is this technician, garage, mobile mechanic, friend of yours? I am asking because there are some things that doesn’t match. I had recently same thing happened to me while going step uphill with full power the car hit a pothole engine surge and and the car went to N and the same hybrid system malfunction happened, the car was drivable after restarting. Clear the codes and no trouble afterwards. 

Hi, this is with the main dealer at the toyota altrincham branch and I've also had another garage run a diagnostics before taking it to toyota and he said he could find no fault codes. Technision (suspects) the fuel pump is faulty but not 100 percent sure but he will have to do further investigation after pump is fixed, that's what they keep saying to me and roy124, we buy any car are offering 11000 pound with the mileage. Commercial or private surely the will look/fix it the same either way.

Mark, I not absolutely sure on this but I think they do treat commercial use differently, that would include taxi use.          
You must have a full book of dealer stamps, probably 12 ?         
You could possibly ask the dealer to ask Toyota for some help/part payment. They have a reputation to be good to customers who have showed loyalty by having the vehicle serviced at a Toyota dealer. It is worth the ask, cost nothing.

If £11,000 is affordable change your car sooner rather than later though I know that might knock a big hole in your budget. 

If the car won’t start/run are the we buy any car companies going to pay the £11000.  Just for interest I have been getting prices  from those sorts of companies for the wife’s Auris…. Good figures, top figure is just a couple hundred less then what I paid for it from a main dealer 4.5 years ago, it’s ridiculous, but all subject to final viewings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ttt90 said:

Hi, this is with the main dealer at the toyota altrincham branch and I've also had another garage run a diagnostics before taking it to toyota and he said he could find no fault codes. Technision (suspects) the fuel pump is faulty but not 100 percent sure but he will have to do further investigation after pump is fixed, that's what they keep saying to me and roy124, we buy any car are offering 11000 pound with the mileage. Commercial or private surely the will look/fix it the same either way.

Ok, it sounds strange to me to have hybrid system malfunction warning without fault codes, if the pump is faulty then let accept the fuel delivery is cut off same as you had run out of petrol, but then again it will show something recorded in the ecu. Anyway let them take care of the pump and see what happens. Please update the post as I believe few of us are interested. 
Good luck 👍

Is it the main dealer who says there's no fault codes? It needs to be a suitable code reader not any old generic thing. And they seem to want you to pay for their guess it might be fuel pump?? Wants proper diagnosis, what about trying a different main dealer, or get a suitable code reader yourself? I believe a bluetooth obd adapter and an app called Hybrid Assistant is suitable and the setup would cost less than £30. You could then find codes and live data and at least be armed against dealer BS when you go

• Like 1

There is something similar that is on this you YouTube video he is talking about the Rav4 PHEV.

It's mentioned in the last part of the video, it may not be this but worth a look.

Cat lover, its 11000 in top working order so no, not at the mo. Yes that's the main dealership in altrincham saying that to me and ive tried ringing stockport branch and they say altrincham branch is dealing with it, like i said im stuck. I rang Altrincham branch today to double check theres no fault codes but I got told the head technician isn't in until tomorrow, I'm going to suggest trying cheaper things first ie transistors or Battery issues unless he has some codes but yes I will keep updated.

'Check pre crash safety' - Only a guess but could be something as simple as a dirty radar sensor/laser/camera ?

Hi yes already cleaned the sensor/laser/camera , anyway I went into Toyota today and spoke to the technician, he said the fuel pump is sending the message it's fine but when hes plugging a clear bottle to the pump theres no fuel coming through apparently so I've told them to go ahead with the fuel pump change, will let you know when i get it back.

• Thanks 1

saxmaniac yes I find all dealers I've dealt with so far are full of Mod edit but anyway I've had the car back two days now and running great again after a fuel pump change and cost of 787 pound, still no mention of codes when I asked tho but thanks to all the help guys and girls x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Had this 2 times in the past year and im also a taxi driver currently on 191K on a 2017 auris sporting.

Fully serviced every 10k by toyota.

I just disconect the Battery for 2 mins and im back up and running.....   throw some fuel treatment in it next time you fuel to help out the EGR system as this is my suspicion.

7 hours ago, Mixstreme said:

Had this 2 times in the past year and im also a taxi driver currently on 191K on a 2017 auris sporting.

Fully serviced every 10k by toyota.

I just disconect the battery for 2 mins and im back up and running.....   throw some fuel treatment in it next time you fuel to help out the EGR system as this is my suspicion.

Egr system needs to be dismantled and cleaned every 100k miles or so. Adding any additive to the fuel may help only to clean injectors and valves, cats and lambda sensors but egr not at all. The carbon buildup is so hard that you need physically to remove with wire brushes, jet wash, and soak for hours. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Egr system needs to be dismantled and cleaned every 100k miles or so. Adding any additive to the fuel may help only to clean injectors and valves, cats and lambda sensors but egr not at all. The carbon buildup is so hard that you need physically to remove with wire brushes, jet wash, and soak for hours. 

Well, I think I have just found the cause of that ratlle in low revs...  never done anythin to the EGR and considering the milage, its clearly gonna need surgery soon.....

To be frank, its worth looking at 2nd hand egr on eBay for £60 and just swapping it out rather than messing about. 

The inlet manifold is also not to expensive for a good clean example...    

Same with the fuel pump again £50 on eBay and less than an hour to refit, saves the mass dealers costs and if it lasts anything above 50k its well worth it.......

Good thing with these Auris and the end of production, there does seem to be a few around for spares........

Thanks for the heads up...  ill investigate the EGR when the replacement arrives....   

On 2/20/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ttt90 said:

saxmaniac yes I find all dealers I've dealt with so far are full of Mod edit but anyway I've had the car back two days now and running great again after a fuel pump change and cost of 787 pound, still no mention of codes when I asked tho but thanks to all the help guys and girls x

I agree that dealers do charge excessively, but in all fairness they do as per Standard operating procedures as with most things these days, they are not to be repaired, but replaced.......  Strange considering the whole ECO ethos and recycling culture.  

I had a problem with the wiper motors not working twice at 110K and was told it needs a new motor etc...  I greased them up myself gave the mechs and good shake and hey presto, back up and running....    I did order a replacemet off eBay, but im now on 191K without any repietition of the issue, so the spare is sat here waiting for that failure again...

Ive got another 4 months till my new Rav 4 materialises to replace this taxi and then the circle begins again.........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links