Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T27 wiper blade issue

avensisnz

When I purchased my T27 Avensis, the driver's side wiper blade was smearing a bit on the return stroke. I just assumed the blades were worn, so I replaced them, but that didn't solve the problem. I've now tried three different brands of wiper blade and they all exhibit the same issue: they clear the windscreen perfectly on the upwards stroke, but on the return stroke there's one spot that smears, right near the centre of the driver's side blade in about the bottom third of the wiper's path. It's almost like there's not quite enough pressure being applied at that point.

Does anyone else have this issue (I'm wondering if it's a design flaw)? My windscreen is in good condition and perfectly clean (I even used special glass polish on it to see if that would help). The wiper arm is in good condition and seems to be perfectly aligned.

The brands of wiper blade I've tried are:

• Tridon (an Australian OEM parts supplier) - these were on the car when I bought it
  • Some Chinese blades from aliexpress.com
  • Genuine Toyota blades (on the car now)

One I haven't tried is Bosch Aerotwin, but I'm doubting another brand will make any difference.

Does the amount of water on the screen result in anything different? Maybe when heavy rain it doesn’t smear, light rain it does

I find that cleaning the wipers and the screen sorts the smearing issue. I think the screen or wipers have polish contamination, which is causing the smearing. Just use vinegar based glass cleaner or anti smear solution on the windscreen, and warm soapy water on the blades, though you did replace the blades so it must be the screen. 

Another possibility is damage to the wiper arm resulting in the blade not sitting correctly on the screen

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

An update: I ordered a new driver's side wiper arm from Japan, but unfortunately it made no difference. So with a new wiper arm, new blades and a perfectly clean windscreen, I Googled the problem some more. That's when I found owners of other brands of cars reporting exactly the same issue with flat beam-style Wiper Blades in lengths longer than 24". It seems to be a common issue with a lot of beam-style blades 26" or longer, where there's insufficient tension (curvature) in the blade, resulting in too much pressure being applied to the centre section, relative to the ends of the blade. One possible fix is to grab both ends of the blade and bend them downwards until the two tips almost come together, forming a circle, and then let it return to its natural position. This effectively increases the curvature of the blade slightly. I tried this and it partly resolved the issue, but not entirely to my satisfaction.

I've now ordered a pair of Bosch A539S blades. Apparently these blades are what Toyota originally fitted at the factory. Despite the blades I have now being a genuine Toyota part, they seem to be a different design, with a narrower profile than what I've seen on other Toyota Avensis cars the same age as mine.

I was encouraged by two reviewers of the Bosch A539S blades on eBay making the following comments:

"After unsatisfactory performance caused by slightly weak centre wiping on the down stroke - even after cleaning the blades and the screen itself - I ordered the Bosch Aero-Twin A539S. What a major difference! I these wipers clear the screen properly, with even pressure across the whole blade, clear in both directions."

"Even when I got the dealership to replace the wipers on my car with manufacturer's OEM spec wipers, they kept smearing on the return stroke. Fitted these and - no more smearing."

• Thanks 2

My car is fitted with Bosch Aero-Twin A539S and they have been on the car for a long time. No serious problem with smearing. If there is a smear or foreign object, I clean the screen and blade by hand, and every is fine. I did once buy from a local motor factor (none 0f the major chains), Bosch universal wipers when I first had the car. These universal wipers were poor from new. Once I fitted the Bosch Aero-Twin A539S, as Simon stated, the wiping performance was and still is great. They last a long time too. 

The big take from this, is to stick with the Bosch Aero-Twin A539S and keep them and the screen clean. You can take a risk with other brands, and if they perform well, let us know. 

Hello, I've got the same issue on the T22 dad's car ,would you think the same model of Bosch you're recommending would fit the T22 model ? Thanks

20 hours ago, kiddo said:

Hello, I've got the same issue on the T22 dad's car ,would you think the same model of Bosch you're recommending would fit the T22 model ? Thanks

Definitely not.

• Like 1

Well I've argued with him for the wipers he paid some months ago , last week I've decided to go buy new ones same results , the one on the driver side won't clear the water at all , the passenger side could do it though .

On 7/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, kiddo said:

Different Avensis model and wiper setup - T22 compared to the much later T27. The much older T22 has standard (old style) Wiper Blades from factory. When I first took ownership of my T22 Avensis back in 2003, the wipers were awful. They smeared, juddered and were noisy. With the older style wipers, there are more joints on the blades and they become loose over time. My solution was to replace the complete blades, and at the time Wilko's were doing them at very cheap prices for each blade. Fixed all the issues in one go, plus they lasted long with a bit of care. Changing the rubber refill only, did not not fix the issue! Had to be the whole blade and fittings. That was for the T22.
As stated in other replies, the T27 blades need to be like for like replacement, using Bosch Aero-Twin A539S or similar quality.   

I'm based in Spain and for now just can't find the proper ones to work, winder if has anything to do with the wiper arm pressure on the glass ?

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm pleased to say the Bosch blades did the trick. No smearing and they're extremely quiet. It seems that with these super-long blades (longer than 24"), even pressure along the length of the blade is critical. I noticed the Bosch blade has a much tighter curve on it when lifted off the windscreen than the other blades I tried. I think the after market blades were applying too much pressure at the centre of the blade.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, avensisnz said:

Well, I'm pleased to say the Bosch blades did the trick. No smearing and they're extremely quiet. It seems that with these super-long blades (longer than 24"), even pressure along the length of the blade is critical. I noticed the Bosch blade has a much tighter curve on it when lifted off the windscreen than the other blades I tried. I think the after market blades were applying too much pressure at the centre of the blade.

Send us a link to them as the ones I have are the aro twin r something like that as there a few different kinds of blades People online says those silicone blades are great and if looked after they will last a really long time but there crazy expensive 

On 7/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, kiddo said:

I'm based in Spain and for now just can't find the proper ones to work, winder if has anything to do with the wiper arm pressure on the glass ?

You need to ask locally, because we here in the UK won't be much help!

23 hours ago, 2009joe said:

Send us a link to them as the ones I have are the aro twin r something like that as there a few different kinds of blades People online says those silicone blades are great and if looked after they will last a really long time but there crazy expensive 

You can get the Bosch Aero Twin online at reasonable prices, but you paying for quality that lasts. Just make sure you are getting the real thing and not fakes! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Konrad C said:

You can get the Bosch Aero Twin online at reasonable prices, but you paying for quality that lasts. Just make sure you are getting the real thing and not fakes! 

have you any links dude thats the ones tbh im looking for also

• 2 months later...

I wanted to renew my Wiper Blades ready for winter so bought a Bosch A539S set, based on the recommendations here and because I have used Bosch blades for many years on previous cars. I bought them from a reputable seller (wiperblades.co.uk, whom I've bought from for many years), but the driver's side blade just would not fit. It would not slide into the arm far enough for the locking button to pop up. The passenger side fitted ok, but it was a lot looser than the Toyota blade that it replaced. Wiperblades.co.uk sent me another A539S pack to try, and they were exactly the same unfortunately. So both packs have been sent back, and I've just been to my local Toyota dealer to collect some Toyota blades. Both sides fit perfectly with no play. They should last a long time like Bosch ones do too, because the Toyota set that I have just replaced have been on the car for 18 months and still clear water quite well. The Toyota set does cost a bit more (£30) than the Bosch ones can be bought for online, but I am very happy with the fit, unlike with the two Bosch packs.

• Like 2

I've ordered from the same site and had no issues before, nor have any of the friends or family I pointed them out to.  But I ordered the same Bosch set in September from them (Halfords et. al are on crack with their pricing for wipers atm). I had to since I was getting a new windscreen from Autoglass... Put them on that day, I don't know if it's the wipers or the crappy glass, or the fact it's not positioned right having some kind of impact, but it's scratched to hell in a way that the original windscreen wasn't even before it was removed. Never had such poor quality in a windscreen or questionably, the wipers. We're talking weeks and they look like they're 10 years old.

I noticed they weren't quite as tight either, but I thought the old ones might have just been seized on tighter. 

I'll be trying the dealer when I eventually get a new windscreen and if a Toyota part exists, paying for it even if it's 5x the price. 

• Like 1

That's interesting to hear because my Bosch A539S blades fit perfectly to the wiper arms with no free play and the locking button is in the correct location.. I wonder if there was a bad batch, with the wrong connector installed on the assembly line, because I noticed a couple of reviews on Amazon.co.uk said the Bosch A539S didn't fit their Avensis and other reviewers had no problem?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links