Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premature Wear

TazUddin

Hi guys,

Wondering if it's just me but my toyota corolla 2019 is on 40k and the steering wheel is wearing and gear shifter is wearing out super fast. It started at 20k roughly and has just gotten worse. Toyota said that its abrasive hand cream or hand gel. They did agree to change the gear shifter through warranty but not the steering wheel. I've been back and forth from dealer to head office. But warranty department basically saying its not a manufacturer fault. I kind of understand from there part but I didn't know you weren't allowed to use hand creams or ant viral hand gel when driving lol. I've attached some pictures below from last year of the steering wheel etc. It's has worsened since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Note: I'm a driving instructor so others drive the vehicle but rarely anyone with excessive rings on fingers etc)

20210925_095148.jpg

20210925_095152.jpg

20210925_095131.jpg

I would have thought that a steering would be designed to cope with hand creams a rings in mind.  If it isn’t, it’s not fit for purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what does it look like now?

I have no Corolla and can’t comment on quality of the details and materials used however I know that leather should only be cleaned with pure water or special leather treatment that are very mild and has no strong alcohol or other aggressive cleaning agents. If something strong antibacterial cleaner or hand gel been used it’s very likely to cause premature wear. I always ask myself that question when I see in garages like for service or mot the mechanics use gels and sprays ,. I only clean my steering wheel with damp cloth or wet wipes or microfibre cloth and Dettol surface cleaner. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So what does it look like now?

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it currently. Dealer did take a few to pass on to the warranty department. Apparently the steering wheel is around £900 thus warranty not wanting to change it.

5 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I would have thought that a steering would be designed to cope with hand creams a rings in mind.  If it isn’t, it’s not fit for purpose.

That's what I was trying to get at with Toyota. But there basically in a nutshell saying neglect. 

7 minutes ago, TazUddin said:

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it currently. Dealer did take a few to pass on to the warranty department. Apparently the steering wheel is around £900 thus warranty not wanting to change it.

That’s crazy expensive and no need imo. Just clean it only with water or check Amazon has special sprays for leather cleaning and with the time it might polish itself and heal , it’s a natural leather and this happens. In worse case scenario there are people who can professionally re upholster with new leather of you choice  for around £150-200. Just drive it like that for now. It’s not that bad. Hand cream, anything with high acidity including some people sweat can cause faster wear. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it was caused by hand creams or gels, every other steering wheel in the country would be affected.

It’s defective imho and I wouldn’t let it lie.

If indeed it is a fact that the steering wheel is being affected by hand creams etc, as almost everyone uses some type of hand cream, that is proof that the covering of the wheel is not fit for purpose.

22 minutes ago, Stivino said:

If it was caused by hand creams or gels, every other steering wheel in the country would be affected.

I'm awaiting a call from the warranty department. Funny thing is the warranty manager at the dealers said he's happy to change the gear shifter. 

Just now, TazUddin said:

I'm awaiting a call from the warranty department. Funny thing is the warranty manager at the dealers said he's happy to change the gear shifter. 

Then, they have set a precedent.

2 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Then, they have set a precedent.

Well, they may have for the gear lever, not necessarily for the steering wheel.

It’s leather, just have to wait for cows to evolve into making their hide friendly towards all sorts of hand cream/gel.  As I don’t believe in evolution I guess it’s going to be a long wait.  Do you want leather or some man made material that will withstand whatever you throw at it.

Hand cream and suntan lotion can also stain car paintwork, and this staining can be difficult to remove.

• Like 1

Suppose prior to Covid, hand creams, alcohol based sanitisers, anti-bacterial cleaning wipes used for cleaning touch surfaces, etc, weren't used in anywhere near the quantities or frequency as they were from early 2020. So leathers and fabrics used in car interiors weren't expected to cope with these substances. 

• Like 1

Wait Corolla steering wheel is covered in leather?!

I personally thought that it is some weird plastic/rubber compound and actually absolutely hated it first couple of days. Thought of taking it to a shop to re-upholster into something a lot nicer than what it currently is. 40K isn't much, but it does sound like your steering wheel gets lot's of "traffic" with students and all, a special demographics that likes to hang on to steering wheel as if it is their lifeline and use it excessively.

Gel/cream or not, it is something that gets a lot of friction and cannot stay brand new within the warranty period. But hey, if Toyota agrees to change it, then great.

2 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

Wait Corolla steering wheel is covered in leather?!

I personally thought that it is some weird plastic/rubber compound and actually absolutely hated it first couple of days. Thought of taking it to a shop to re-upholster into something a lot nicer than what it currently is. 40K isn't much, but it does sound like your steering wheel gets lot's of "traffic" with students and all, a special demographics that likes to hang on to steering wheel as if it is their lifeline and use it excessively.

Gel/cream or not, it is something that gets a lot of friction and cannot stay brand new within the warranty period. But hey, if Toyota agrees to change it, then great.

I agree to a point in regards to students hanging onto the wheel and friction etc. But it's mainly on the right hand side. Learners hold the steering with both hands so I would guess it should have had somewhat of an even wear. Weird. 

Then again with students operating the transmission, indicators, lights, etc with their left hand, the right hand spends more time on the steering wheel.

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Then again with students operating the transmission, indicators, lights, etc with their left hand, the right hand spends more time on the steering wheel.

Then the left should be more worn out as there constantly rubbing there hands on and off? No?

If the issue is due to chemical residue on the hands affecting the leather, the lesser contact on the left side of the steering wheel could be why the right side is more affected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the issue is due to chemical residue on the hands affecting the leather, the lesser contact on the left side of the steering wheel could be why the right side is more affected.

Just have to hope Toyota get back to me and overturn the warranty department's decision, which is very unlikely. However they did say they would contribute towards a new steering wheel when I was at the dealers. But I'd rather not lol.

I think it's 'Vegan Leather' (so some sort of vinyl probably) but both are very badly affected by alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Heck, *my* hands are badly affected by over-exposure to alcohol gel hand sanitizer (I was getting seriously nasty dermatitis on my hands from that stuff during the early parts of the pandemic before I just refused to use it any more, esp. as that stuff is minimally effective vs viruses whereas a moisturizing soap is better for your skin AND much more effective against viruses!).

The problem is it dries out skin and leather and oil-based materials.

You can probably use some leather restorer to improve things, or find a place that refurbishes steering wheels - I remember on Wheeler Dealers they had a new leather cover sewn onto worn steering wheels. IIRC Ed China even did one himself in one episode!

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:36 PM, Stivino said:

Not always that clear cut, everyone is different and hands also get sweaty/salty, there could be numerous things that cause it, lets say a hand sanitizer which is more concentrated than most would have an impact. I suspect if Toyota were seeing this on lots of vehicles they would act but if it's isolated it likely to be caused by external influence and not a manufacturing defect.