Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers doors

Paulfl

This week I bought a 2015 Aygo as a run about and possible tow car for our motorhome. First impression I like it but one thing annoys me. No not the high clutch pedal, it's the drivers door. More particularly on closing it sound tinny. The passenger door sound less tinny. No I not expecting a Roll Royce clunk but the tinny noise is a niggle on a otherwise reasonable quality car

3 door or 5 door?

We have a five door and wouldn't particularly describe the doors as tinny.

Perhaps if yours is a three door, the extra length of the doors makes a difference.

Then again the Aygo is Toyota's entry model, so won't have the same level of soundproofing as their more expensive models.

It's a 5 door, I understand it's an entry level car its that the passenger door seem better. I check behind the door cards at the weekend to see if previous owner has been playing.

15 hours ago, Paulfl said:

This week I bought a 2015 Aygo as a run about and possible tow car for our motorhome. First impression I like it but one thing annoys me. No not the high clutch pedal, it's the drivers door. More particularly on closing it sound tinny. The passenger door sound less tinny. No I not expecting a Roll Royce clunk but the tinny noise is a niggle on a otherwise reasonable quality car

Have you thought of adding some stick on sound insulation inside the doors ? or some cheaper stick on flashing from Say Screwfix

Hi,

I guess manufacturers do not care about the sound of the door closing on such a budget car.

If one day you drive a mk1 Aygo, you will ear that the mk2 that you own marked a dramatic improvement in terms of sound insulation. In the mk1, you could feel and ear everything, the engine was a passenger in the cabin.

A 150mm square of proper sound deadening on the inside of the door makes a big difference to any car, flashing tape/roll has little effect at stopping resonance and does a poor job with some frequencies

Silent coat is my go to, the 4mm works well but 2mm if fine for the door skin

you can do a door for £3

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2539/s/silent-coat-custom-2mm-sound-deadening-damping-material-matt-sample-pack/category/58/

a kit comes out at a better value

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2524/s/silent-coat-starter-set-sound-deadening-damping-isolator-absorber-pack/category/58/

• Like 3

On 2/20/2022 at 5:38 PM, flash22 said:

A 150mm square of proper sound deadening on the inside of the door makes a big difference to any car, flashing tape/roll has little effect at stopping resonance and does a poor job with some frequencies

Silent coat is my go to, the 4mm works well but 2mm if fine for the door skin

you can do a door for £3

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2539/s/silent-coat-custom-2mm-sound-deadening-damping-material-matt-sample-pack/category/58/

a kit comes out at a better value

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2524/s/silent-coat-starter-set-sound-deadening-damping-isolator-absorber-pack/category/58/

I have used that, or a similar product, on kit cars in the the past and it works well.  In coldish weather I had to heat it to get it to stick well and take the curve of a panel but other than that no issues.

I should have added I am more than happy with the sound of the doors on the Aygo but then I am still shutting them little too hard for the Aygo after being used to a SUV.

I used the 2mm Silent Coat sheets on the doors of my 308 T9 when I upgraded the Speakers - it also reduced the road noise. 

Decent sharp scissors can be used to cut the sheets to shape where required. 

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I used the 2mm Silent Coat sheets on the doors of my 308 T9 when I upgraded the speakers - it also reduced the road noise. 

Decent sharp scissors can be used to cut the sheets to shape where required. 

i tend to use a straight edge and a fresh knife, roller it down and tape  the seams and edges with foil Duct tape

In some applications, you need to use the correct product like the foam sheet