Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone else being given the runaround by BG

George Dodds

HI, I’m waiting for British Gas to give me an EV install date. I dug a trench for an underground cable to all their specs (they quoted £1,700 cost me £25 in materials) but BG say they are waiting for an engineer to agree what I’ve done. It’s a slightly complex install through my loft, underground for 1 metre and into my detached garage.

They said my DNO needed to agree as well but my DNO said they don’t need to know.  BG can’t or won’t tell me how long it will take for their engineer to agree my specs on the trench. 
My survey was done 28th Jan  

I suspect they are trying to string things out and then say not enough tIme to fit before end of March! 

Just wondered if anyone was having the same experience  

• Sad 1

For sure I am George. Had a remote survey 25th January, told it was a very straight forward installation. Spoke to them for the third time Wednesday and they finally told me they were trying to contact the Engineer who did my survey because they couldn't locate my survey report etc. That's after originally telling me they were waiting on the DNO.

When I originally spoke to the Engineer on the 25th January, the PHEV wasn't on the list and I asked him about this, he said Toyota were paying the whole cost regardless of the subsidy.

Seems like they have a massive back log of requests (31 March end of government subsidy) and they just can't cope.

8 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

I suspect they are trying to string things out and then say not enough tIme to fit before end of March! 

Hi all.... Typical ? 

Why is it that when one attempts to do the right thing by the book only to become frustrated with being passed around, I'd be tempted to just get on & complete the installation. In the meantime just look forward to taking delivery of a great motor.

Barry Wright, Lancashire.     

I too am finding BG service very poor across all areas. survey originally booked for 4th Feb, no one turned, no one phoned. I had to do all the chasing, now booked for 28th. This was originally ordered before Christmas! Same with transferring supply following demise of previous supplier. All details totally wrong. 

Hopefully BG will eventually do the installation, and Toyota will honour the costs post 31st March.

This was my reply this morning, mine is going next to the outdoor meter box so it's the easiest install possible. 

I have had a quick look at your case but I can't see what is holding it up, but there are quite a few areas that need to be completed, though we have now had an approval to connect from your network operator, that I can't see. I've added you case to a specific group that chase things through, they will be in touch as soon as they have something to tell you. To ensure that their time isn't taken up with lots of emails, we can't contact them directly, just add you on the list.

Thanks for your patience.

45 minutes ago, Steve169 said:

This was my reply this morning, mine is going next to the outdoor meter box so it's the easiest install possible. 

I have had a quick look at your case but I can't see what is holding it up, but there are quite a few areas that need to be completed, though we have now had an approval to connect from your network operator, that I can't see. I've added you case to a specific group that chase things through, they will be in touch as soon as they have something to tell you. To ensure that their time isn't taken up with lots of emails, we can't contact them directly, just add you on the list.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Steve, some of my holdups were getting the DNO (power provider) to check the main fuse to your supply, they open it up. Mine was Western Power who came out same day, then Octopus Energy (coming 2 weeks later) to fit an isolator switch on my meter (replacing whole meter)

Might be worth finding out if that’s necessary with your DNO and energy provider. In case it causes more delays. 

2 minutes ago, Steve169 said:

Mine should be beyond that stage, I work for my DNO 😁

Hopefully that helps 😀

this was my latest reply which basically says I’m in the queue  it’s very frustrating that I cannot get any kind of timescale. Anyway, good luck and hopefully we will get there soon 🤞

Last email:

I spoke to our engineer yesterday and I can confirm that your install application has returned from the DNO and is with the relevant team for progression. We now have to wait for each customer to be referred to either myself or the booking team as this is our process.

As discussed yesterday once we receive an acknowledgement that your install is ready to book you will be contacted. Thank you

Sorry to hear that George - frustrating is too mild a term.

If someone is deliberately trying to slow it down beyond March it would have to be at the behest of Toyota. I am sure BG would be disappointed to lose all this extra business put on a plate by Toyota. Personally, I am leaning towards the demand being higher than their current capabilities.

Without the looming deadline of 31st March there would be less anxiety and the progress would probably be accepted as normal.

For my part Scottish Gas are installing mine next Friday.

Fingers crossed for all. 

Hi. I’m waiting for a fitting date and wondered what peoples timings were from survey to receiving a fitting date and when.  Preferably Jan and February, recent experience. 
Being told by BG that I am In a queue the same as everyone else. 
So I would like to go back to them and say everyone else waits ….  
Many thanks. 

It won't help but if you read the comments on their Homecare ads on Facebook it might give you an idea of the service (if any) you can expect .....

I hope you are succesful though and wish you luck !

It's all a big mess with little organization with many parties involved - in short there are not enough installers and the DNO's are backed up - add in the 2 recent storms for added chaos

Edited. As threads  have been merged

Topics merged and topic title edited.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Topics merged and topic title edited.

Sorry, thank you. 

2 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

It won't help but if you read the comments on their Homecare ads on Facebook it might give you an idea of the service (if any) you can expect .....

I hope you are succesful though and wish you luck !

Hi. Many thanks I will have a look. 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:51 AM, Hayzee said:

For sure I am George. Had a remote survey 25th January, told it was a very straight forward installation. Spoke to them for the third time Wednesday and they finally told me they were trying to contact the Engineer who did my survey because they couldn't locate my survey report etc. That's after originally telling me they were waiting on the DNO.

When I originally spoke to the Engineer on the 25th January, the PHEV wasn't on the list and I asked him about this, he said Toyota were paying the whole cost regardless of the subsidy.

Seems like they have a massive back log of requests (31 March end of government subsidy) and they just can't cope.

Hi. Sorry to hear that. I guess we have to remain positive while there is still a chance. 

I wish you well and hope the queue is not long.  At least you have had some progress a few years ago I had BG quote to have a magnetic filter added to my central heating system and have our consumer unit changed.  We accepted the quote on the day and by return of post when they wrote to us a few days later.    They promised to come back with a day for the work to be done within 14 days, long story shortened, three months later I had the work done by local companies.  I then moved both my gas and electricity supply and cancelled both my Home Care agreement and other insurances to other suppliers (they responded within 24 hours when I cancelled the direct debit).  

Looking at the reports of BG customers with Homecare agreements who were left without heating and hot water last winter the situation seems not to have improved. 

I hope for your sake that the team dealing with your work is run by more competent and skilled managers.

off-topic, these service contracts are pointless for most, you're better off, putting that monthly payment in to another account if you have an issue you have a pot you can use - the trades that work as sub contractors are paid peanuts so you end up with a rushed substandard job and some are just down right dodgy

14 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Hi. Sorry to hear that. I guess we have to remain positive while there is still a chance. 

George

Hve you received the official quote email (even though it might be £0) ? I understood we only go on to the installation wait list when we have accepted the quote, unless I am mistaken. I haven't yet seen it.

C

George

The cost of yours and anyone's else's before the PHEV went on the Government list was being picked up by Toyota, going by the passed way Toyota deal with this type of situation I would expect them to honour there commitment.

16 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

George

Hve you received the official quote email (even though it might be £0) ? I understood we only go on to the installation wait list when we have accepted the quote, unless I am mistaken. I haven't yet seen it.

C

Hi. I asked where was the quote but BG laughed and said no quote needed as was free. I’ve done all this work, pipe laying etc and I’m hoping to get a fitting appointment over the next couple of weeks 🤞

9 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

George

The cost of yours and anyone's else's before the PHEV went on the Government list was being picked up by Toyota, going by the passed way Toyota deal with this type of situation I would expect them to honour there commitment.

I may ask Toyota in a couple of weeks time when I collect the car if I don’t get a fitting appointment over the next couple of weeks. 

On 2/8/2022 at 7:19 PM, R4VA_K said:

Everything was 0 on the invoice so no idea on the true price. Mine was less than a 24 hour turnaround from virtual visit to quote.  Probably worth chasing yours unless it was a more complex installation.  

25 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Hi. I asked where was the quote but BG laughed and said no quote needed as was free. I’ve done all this work, pipe laying etc and I’m hoping to get a fitting appointment over the next couple of weeks 🤞

George

As Kerim mentions above, he did receive an invoice.

C

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

George

As Kerim mentions above, he did receive an invoice.

C

Hi. Yes I do understand and think that I will get one, just not sure when. I don’t think / hope that not having an invoice is holding anything up 🤞

Time will tell I guess.