Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silver Avensis... tints 5% or 20%

SB1500

Hi people, have any of you had your windows tinted on your 2015 onwards Avensis? Would love to see what they look like and what percentage they are.

I'm thinking of getting mine done next week. I'd like 5% but not sure how it would look on a silver Avensis - too dark might make it look like a van, though I like the privacy / shady feeling inside the car. Had a previous car with 5%s and they were good, but that was a black car... not sure if I could pull it off on the Avensis.

Maybe 20% tints would be the best compromise?

• Like 1

Tinting just the rear windows (rear doors and rear windows) or front door windows as well?

Check what is legal where you are - for example in mainland Britain window tinting can legally be no more than 30% for the front windows/windscreen, and the existing factory tint already equates to approx 25% or more.

• Like 2

Personally I don’t like tinted windows, don’t think they add anything to a car. When driving I do look over my shoulders for safety, and having black out would interfere with that. Add to the fact if you go for really dark tint on the rear of the car and back dies window it looks stupid when the front side window can’t be tinted so much (for a very good reason)

It sounds like you don't live in the big city, in my view anything that obscures what you may have left on the back seat is a good thing. 

In the Yaris, I can't tell that the rear windows are tinted when looking out.

• Like 2

I wasn't a fan of tinted windows - The Mk4 is the first car that's forced me to have them, and I must admit I am warming to them just because I feel safe not having to cover/hide anything in the back seats because the tint makes them almost impossible to see, yet it hasn't impacted visibility from the inside as much as I thought it would.

On the downside it has increased the number of people that think I'm sandbagging and look to pass me because it's hard for them to see through the car that there is a massive traffic jam in front of me (This is also not helped by the tiny rear window and massive head rests!)

54 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

It sounds like you don't live in the big city, in my view anything that obscures what you may have left on the back seat is a good thing. 

In the Yaris, I can't tell that the rear windows are tinted when looking out.

I stick things I dont want on view in the boot.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Tinting just the rear windows (rear doors and rear windows) or front door windows as well?

Check what is legal where you are - for example in mainland Britain window tinting can legally be no more than 30% for the front windows/windscreen, and the existing factory tint already equates to approx 25% or more.

I'd love to have them dark all the way around, but it's the same as the UK mainland here.  Pity too because every other Audi has them pure black and seem to get away with it, but I know the first day I go out I'll be pulled over :') 

23 hours ago, Catlover said:

Personally I don’t like tinted windows, don’t think they add anything to a car. When driving I do look over my shoulders for safety, and having black out would interfere with that. Add to the fact if you go for really dark tint on the rear of the car and back dies window it looks stupid when the front side window can’t be tinted so much (for a very good reason)

I suppose everybody has their preference. To me, I don't like people being able to see right in / through the car. I like the privacy aspect. Definitely a compromise in visibility, though the reversing cam will help with that.  Sort of getting used to the size of the Avensis now reversing wise 

• Like 2

My estate is a 2015 Icon Business Edition so came with tinted rear windows and I think it looks cool, and is the first car I have owned with them. I do appreciate Catlover's point about it reducing visibility when looking over your shoulder - during the day I find it doesn't make any difference, but at night the reduction in visibility is noticeable, although I am used to it now. For that reason I would not want to add a tint to the front windows.

1 hour ago, SB1500 said:

I'd love to have them dark all the way around, but it's the same as the UK mainland here.  Pity too because every other Audi has them pure black and seem to get away with it, but I know the first day I go out I'll be pulled over :') 

I suppose everybody has their preference. To me, I don't like people being able to see right in / through the car. I like the privacy aspect. Definitely a compromise in visibility, though the reversing cam will help with that.  Sort of getting used to the size of the Avensis now reversing wise 

Aye handy car to get on to Shane pity about the epb I hate that plus it's a stretch for tall guys beside the wheel should been in center console

23 hours ago, Cyker said:

On the downside it has increased the number of people that think I'm sandbagging and look to pass me because it's hard for them to see through the car that there is a massive traffic jam in front of me (This is also not helped by the tiny rear window and massive head rests!)

Sandbagging ? I don't know that term.

The head restraints aren't in reality that big, but the Clio III and the 208 I had before, both had them designed in such a way that you could push them right down when there were no back seat passengers.

In this case it means driving needlessly slowly for no reason and holding everyone up.

The head rests in the Mk2 were similar to the ones you talk about, i.e. they drop down out of the way. The Mk4 one have the same problem as the Mk1's, in that they block out 60% of the rear view :laugh:  It does baffle me that they kept coming up with some genuinely great innovations in the earlier models of Yaris that they dropped in later ones; I am slightly suspicious a french person is involved as this is the sort of modus operandi the french car companies are known for!

Have thought about privacy sun shades instead. I am using them on my car and they are great, they keep interior cooler, stop people looking into you and the in same time does not restrict your vies out as much , can be removed if necessary and also windows can go down in hot summer evenings but shades remain closed and stop insects getting in and bite you. These particular company make really good ones, also they are cheaper than window tinting. https://www.carshades.co.uk/shades-toyota-avensis4-door-0918-full-rear-p-4035.html, because they darken the rear windows the front also getting some shade and you don’t need to tint front windows. 👍 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Have thought about privacy sun shades instead. I am using them on my car and they are great, they keep interior cooler, stop people looking into you and the in same time does not restrict your vies out as much , can be removed if necessary and also windows can go down in hot summer evenings but shades remain closed and stop insects getting in and bite you. These particular company make really good ones, also they are cheaper than window tinting. https://www.carshades.co.uk/shades-toyota-avensis4-door-0918-full-rear-p-4035.html, because they darken the rear windows the front also getting some shade and you don’t need to tint front windows. 👍 

Hi Tony - I've seen those before. I forgot all about them. Some folks on the Fiat Forum years ago swore by them.  I was always meaning to buy some...  Have you got any pics of your own in the real world? I'd love to see how they look from the outside and the shady feeling on the inside.  

Okay, now I'm seriously considering them instead!  Especially as I'm more interested in the darker tints and I don't know if they'll suit a silver Avensis :S 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

Hi Tony - I've seen those before. I forgot all about them. Some folks on the Fiat Forum years ago swore by them.  I was always meaning to buy some...  Have you got any pics of your own in the real world? I'd love to see how they look from the outside and the shady feeling on the inside.  

Okay, now I'm seriously considering them instead!  Especially as I'm more interested in the darker tints and I don't know if they'll suit a silver Avensis :S 

Hi, yes I have some pictures. These are really good indeed. I had them since 2017 on this car and never been off ever since, only once in a while to clean the windows inside. Here how they look on my car. 

A6A55C7C-9D8D-45FC-972A-2E2CDD16095A.jpeg

56CA9378-204B-41EC-A77A-F2D139566A02.jpeg

D7C0FA28-C13C-4B84-8881-AF03C3B74216.jpeg

B7883198-03FF-453E-9ECF-CECD98D0E1B3.jpeg

008A3C47-E20A-4FF9-9693-4DB1CFF9BD87.jpeg

8635CB2A-2F6D-442C-83B7-B997D1B07D38.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, yes I have some pictures. These are really good indeed. I had them since 2017 on this car and never been off ever since, only once in a while to clean the windows inside. Here how they look on my car. 

looks class might buy ones  myself they only come for the back door windows and rear window  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Okay, now I have to ask, how do you keep the sills / between the hatch and doors so clean?! On a white car too! Looks great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Okay, now I have to ask, how do you keep the sills / between the hatch and doors so clean?! On a white car too! Looks great.

Oops, these pictures were from lockdown times when I had nothing else to do 😂😉🤫 

In general to keep door shuts clean on any colour car you have to wipe them dry after each car wash, I also wash the car once a week outside and clean inside 2-3 times per week. Here on a silver car including the privacy blinds. 👌

D03538F4-20DD-4D4A-A27B-2386C2F1607F.jpeg

642B7734-EB09-4EA5-A8B7-369F3CE3E5A5.jpeg

1D264C28-9B53-4598-81D2-7A743FB4300B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

So I got the windows tinted on Friday, originally set out for 20% to be safe but lat minute decided to go with 5%. I’m shocked by how well it looks to be honest, it wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste but I like how shady it is inside now. C12CEE39-0879-4318-98AE-36A7D1B4EB7D.thumb.jpeg.fd6e69ea0396af19a22d946d87ddcef2.jpegD86C6060-85E6-4FA8-8ABF-0843EFB87370.thumb.jpeg.0a1831d7ba05dfefb7bc86fe7a135632.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SB1500 said:

So I got the windows tinted on Friday, originally set out for 20% to be safe but lat minute decided to go with 5%. I’m shocked by how well it looks to be honest, it wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste but I like how shady it is inside now. C12CEE39-0879-4318-98AE-36A7D1B4EB7D.thumb.jpeg.fd6e69ea0396af19a22d946d87ddcef2.jpegD86C6060-85E6-4FA8-8ABF-0843EFB87370.thumb.jpeg.0a1831d7ba05dfefb7bc86fe7a135632.jpeg

looks sharp, good call on the darker tints looks well. mine came from factory but id definitely get it done. 

• Like 2