Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor ergonomics of the door handles if opening in wind.

Marcusthehat

As in, to allow for access to the various buttons, the door handle is set much too much too near the hinges, which both prevents a natural grab or grip, and does not give sufficient leverage to prevent the wind snatching the door away.

This has not happened me, yet!

Thoughts?

BUT I really really, really like the Rav4

Too far back and your Dutch grab could become difficult.  I take your point though.  In windy conditions I make sure to keep my door shut until any passengers have stopped gagging about.

I did see on a US RAV Facebook page an accessory for inserting a door grab into the armrest section. Think it came from Japan. 

• Thanks 1

I do not use the Dutch reach, but ALWAYS check behind before opening the door, a habit drilled in while growing up.

Flat coat, thanks, I had actually considered dulling a canvas strap around the existing door handle, but really no furthur forward, re reach, grip or leverage.

Cheers

mth

Erm,

I absently tried the Dutch reach this morning.

For my physique, with my preferred seat and steering wheel positions(and I am a very average male build) it simply does not work with the door handle located where it is, the handle would need to be located significently furthur back.

mth

I've also tried the 'Dutch Reach' and find the door handle position makes it almost impossible to open door with that manouvre safely. I have always opened the door with caution and looked in the door mirror then physically outside.  Back in the day that was the way my driving instruction taught me to exit the car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder though how moving it back would work for short people such as my other half who is only 5 feet tall and has the seat fully forward ?. The main issue might be that to close a fully open door she would have to get out of the drivers seat as her arms won't reach to where the handle might be.

Taller people don't have that particular problem.

This is the dilemma designers have, difficult sometimes to be able to please everyone. 

I think regardless of handle position a strong wind will win. 

Years ago my wife in a SAAB 99 had to stop in a laybye on the A1.  On opening the door it slammed open an I was told up against the bonnet.  Someone stopped and helped her shut the door. She continued her journey and bought a new door hinge at a SAAB garage enroute. 

I heard about the damage but when I saw the car I could find nothing wrong. Some years later, cleaning the car prior to sale. I discovered the inside wheel arch was buckled.  The shock load had been absorbed.  I think a modern car would have need body work repair. 

• Like 1

In using the Dutch reach, is the proper procedure to grab the door handle with the right hand and operate the opening lever with the left hand thereby having a good grip on the door handle at all times.

• Like 1

Bernard, probably but I am not sure if they go in to that detail. 

A normal use is pull the opening lever and push.  I don't think they considered the wind 

• Thanks 1

When she gets a bit older, I may perhaps resort to a cunningly located eyebolt and a hank o baler twine!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links