Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima fuel economy

Suchuwato

@JohnGW thanks for the heads up

Is it worth considering an ecu remap in that case? or could this also have undesired consequences?

Also, judging by the comments above it seems E5 petrol is the way to go? 

That is a very good question, make take a while to find the answer but worth look at.  Yes I am only using E5 now.

Hi all

Went from London to Norfolk and spent the week traveling around ,topped up with E5 and there was a big difference on my average km/l it was showing 8.9 km/l and sometimes got up to 9.1 km/l,

But the average was 8.9 and stayed there all week ,and on return journey, but back in London gone to 8.5 .

So before when I went to Norfolk on E10 only got up to 7.2 ,so you do pay abit more for E5 but I think it shows on the mpg ,

Has anyone else found this on E5 

Ricky67

• Like 1

I agree Ricky67, my experience with E10 is identical to yours and on E5 I don't do quite as well as you my average is 8.5 km/L

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the contributions.
My input: Since posting the question each time I filled the car up to the brim (after having having driven the car til the tank was virtually empty each time.)  I recorded the quantity & type of petrol, the distance on the odometer and the residual range prior to filling up as well as the projected range post fill up and then did some arithmetic on a spreadsheet.

Car model: Estima Hybrid 2006 E four model (80k on clock).
Type of driving: almost daily commuting, usual errands and a couple of intercity 100mile ish round trip runs.

Without getting to pedantic, the results were as follows (based on a 60 L tank capacity (manual states its 65L but the max i ever filled it with was 55.04L):
Headline figure
Averages (using both e5 & e10):

• Full Tank Range (actual distance travelled + residual calculated range) : 661.97km / 411.33 miles
  • KML = 11.03
  • MPG = 31.2

Averages E5 fuel only (4 no fill ups: June-Nov):

• Full Tank Range: 673.92 / 418.76 miles
  • Apple Color Emoji', 'Segoe UI Emoji', 'Segoe UI Symbol';">KML = 11.23
  • MPG = 31.7

Averages E10 fuel only ( 3no fill ups: Apr-June):

• Full Tank Range: 646.04 / 401.43 miles
  • KML = 10.77
  • MPG = 30.4

Notes:

• Max range = 706.41 km / 438.94 miles (interestingly on a tank of E10???)
  • Lowest Range = 615.74 km / 382.61 miles (also on a tank of E10)

Observations:

Having initially been inclined to think the fuel economy was not great -at 31.2mpg - I am content that its actually fairly decent for a 2.2 tonne car of its age - particularly when compared to a similar type car eg: mercedes-Benz Viano 2011 which according to the link states 23.7mpg

Hybrid/non-hybrid
Not sure if the hybrid (of this age range - ore 2011??) performs greatly better then the purely petrol _ the hybrid Battery itself being a heavy thing to carry around. 
However, I think the technology is great - sister in law recently drove a rented Totoya C-HR hybrid crossover - the mileage was unbelievable - something like 55mpg - edinburgh to skye & bank on half a tank).
Would be interested to know what the estimas and alphards from the 2010's performance was.

• 3 weeks later...

My mates 2016 estima 2.4 petrol is only giving 200mls on a full tank off fuel. Car has been serviced oil oil filter air filter cabin filter and spark plugs. Theirs no engine management light on or nothing and its all local driving. V power fuel aswell and another car with exact same service thats getting 330mls on a full tank. What could be the issue if anyone can shed some light

That's pretty bad mpg...I assume it's a typical 70 litre tank.?

Before even thinking about more serious engine stuff, often the culprits are such things as Oxy sensors/MAF etc..but they would usually throw an EML.

Tyre pressures.?...driving style and journeys.."local" will always cost more fuel.?..fuel filter.?..wrong engine oil.?

Has a code read been considered.?

Mpg drops through Winter but even my V6 can do much better than that.!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, RUToyota said:

That's pretty bad mpg...I assume it's a typical 70 litre tank.?

Before even thinking about more serious engine stuff, often the culprits are such things as Oxy sensors/MAF etc..but they would usually throw an EML.

Tyre pressures.?...driving style and journeys.."local" will always cost more fuel.?..fuel filter.?..wrong engine oil.?

Has a code read been considered.?

Mpg drops through Winter but even my V6 can do much better than that.!

Theirs no eml light on

All four tyres are almost 7mm

I think the oxygen sensor will be checked and cleaned.

Driving is local few miles up and down the rd

Oil is from toyota 5w30

Fuel filter aint been changed 

Is the tank completely full? might sound silly but my first refuels were Not to the full tank. Mine fills the last quarter very slowly or the petrol pump sensor clicks off. trickle in the fuel and she fill to the top.

3 minutes ago, JohnGW said:

Is the tank completely full? might sound silly but my first refuels were Not to the full tank. Mine fills the last quarter very slowly or the petrol pump sensor clicks off. trickle in the fuel and she fill to the top.

It was last filled up with 55litres of fuel after days ago and its clicked q few times no reserve light was on but it was on the last bar off fuel so let's see what it gives on a full tank also its aint the cheap fuel either. Do you reckon changing the fuel filter will make an enormous amount off difference? 

3 hours ago, Beduin_ said:

My 2014 hybrid does 400 miles per tank.

I wonder what the issue can be with the petrol then why is the return so bad on a full tank.

It's probably the local journeys - I suspect the Estima does better as a distance cruiser and will suffer in urban crawl and stop start traffic because it's a big ol' comfy bus!

20 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's probably the local journeys - I suspect the Estima does better as a distance cruiser and will suffer in urban crawl and stop start traffic because it's a big ol' comfy bus!

Thats really bad put in £100 v power and it returned only 200 miles on the full tank all local driving. Surely it can't be that bad some people have had over 300 miles on a full tank

1 minute ago, Zeddi said:

Thats really bad put in £100 v power and it returned only 200 miles on the full tank all local driving. Surely it can't be that bad some people have had over 300 miles on a full tank

IMG-20221130-WA0017.thumb.jpg.2568cde780156299ffbbb8290b1a00a7.jpg

IMG-20221130-WA0016.jpg

Ouch that is a bit painful when you put it like that!

You can try upping the pressures in your tyres a bit, but also learn some more eco-driving techniques; e.g. Let bigger gaps build in front of you in stop-start traffic so you can roll slower and longer without having to stop and start as much, and learn to anticipate lights and traffic to try and time your arrival, so you can roll through traffic lights without stopping (I mean because they just turn green, not just roll through them arbitrarily! :laugh: ), that sort of thing

20 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ouch that is a bit painful when you put it like that!

You can try upping the pressures in your tyres a bit, but also learn some more eco-driving techniques; e.g. Let bigger gaps build in front of you in stop-start traffic so you can roll slower and longer without having to stop and start as much, and learn to anticipate lights and traffic to try and time your arrival, so you can roll through traffic lights without stopping (I mean because they just turn green, not just roll through them arbitrarily! :laugh: ), that sort of thing

I'm part off the institute off advanced motoring group,  so all the above is basic to me im not even heavy on and off the pedal.. all the tyres are on 34psi.. I think its more to do with the engine.... 

• Like 1

Ahh, in that case ignore all my driving advice, I don't think I can contribute anything you don't already know there! :laugh: 

It might just be physics... what do you get out of a tank on e.g. a motorway run? Supposedly the Estimas are good for 40mpg at A-road/low motorway speeds, but they do suffer in urban traffic just because they are so heavy - That's a lot of mass to move from a stand-still...

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ahh, in that case ignore all my driving advice, I don't think I can contribute anything you don't already know there! :laugh: 

It might just be physics... what do you get out of a tank on e.g. a motorway run? Supposedly the Estimas are good for 40mpg at A-road/low motorway speeds, but they do suffer in urban traffic just because they are so heavy - That's a lot of mass to move from a stand-still...

Appericate the advise...

Aint yet been on a good motorway run will need to on a day off see what sort off economy and range I can get.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I've been keeping a record of my last few fill ups and am quite dissapointed in terms of the MPG i've been experiencing.

For the record, this is a Toyota Estima 2014 2.4L Petrol (not hybrid) with approx 85,000 miles on the clock. 

Tank 1 =>   54L of fuel (E5) = 235 miles

Tank 2 =>   54L of fuel (E10) = 260 miles

Tank 3 =>   54L of fuel (E10) = 235 miles

Tank 4 =>   54L of fuel (E10) = 241 miles

I've filled the tank to the top (when clicks at the pump) but typically fuel up when the fuel light comes on. As you can see, i only tried the E5 once in the past 4 fill ups because i didn't notice a better MPG. With the E5, i definitely noticed a smoother performance when accelerating. On average, I'd say i'm getting close to 20MPG. I'd like to add i haven't been thrashing the car at all. I'm a calm driver and don't aggressivley speed.

Thus, i am finding it expensive and compared to some other folks, I thought i'd compare and see if there is something i can try to get better MPG. This is has all been local driving I must add with some short runs on a dual carriage way.

I'm not sure which engine oil/filter it is using as it was last serviced by the garage that imported it in. I've owned it for less than 3 months. It has very good original Toyota 18" inch alloys with Bridgestone tyres (good tread) all round and the air pressure looks good.

One other thing to add is that i often leave the AC on even when turning up the heating up to to say 26-32 degrees because i find the gas in the AC helps to quickly get rid of mist/condensation with the front windscreen. As of yesterday, I have stopped using these and have started to leave the windows open slightly to see if it helps improve MPG.

Any advice?

• 5 months later...

To be honest I am seeing figures around 30mpg and that really isn't bad.

A big heavy car like the Estima will use some fuel.

To give comparison my 2009 Vauxhall zafira automatic diesel returns 38 mpg around town and maybe 44mpg on a run.

Diesel is more expensive to buy and with the exhaust regen ever 250 miles using around £2 of diesel I would say the Estima is the better deal.

This is why I will be buying one and the fact it has a boot with 8 seats and is more reliable than a vauxhall

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 3:57 PM, Suchuwato said:

I bought the hybrid as I was advised it was advantageous in terms of MPG/KML

Toyota introduced the Estima hybrid not to provide better fuel consumption, but to lower emissions - particularly hydrocarbons and nitrous oxides.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my 2008 by filling to the pump click off then noting the miles driven and refilling. I got 30.2 mpg on a mixture of local and motorway plus A road 20 mile trip. Not bad I thought. My previous car, a 2,5 litre diesel Kia Sorento did the same or even worse so I'm happy 

As above...^^^^...In mpg terms, anyone buying a hybrid Estima will be disappointed if they think it will be advantageous.

As Mike say, it's not what they were designed for.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links