Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The catalytic converter thefts that EV’s are facing without having a cat

TonyHSD

I was wondering previously what thieves will target from the Evs when they become popular., it seems they had found what they can easily get. Batteries are too heavy and difficult to remove on the streets but cables not so much and here we have a new game on , this time not catalytic converters obviously but charging cables. 🔌🔋👍

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10530305/Now-thieves-new-target-electric-cars-charger-cable.html

Funny, I don't think I've ever heard of this happening. Usually the cables are locked to the cars while charging and trying to break it off or cut it is just asking to be electrocuted.

I love that they say it will cause insurance to rise - Would the charging cable even be covered by insurance?? I'm sure they'd exclude it if it was stolen from outside the car...

I think cables are included in the insurance plus any claims from third party if they fall down as a result of tripping  themselves down while walking across cables. Thieves are stealing from boots too, each ev has two cables one for standard chargers and one for home, both quite thick and long, good amount of metal inside. Now ev owners should remove badges or just add TDI or V6 to the rear 🤨🤪🥳

28 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think cables are included in the insurance plus any claims from third party if they fall down as a result of tripping  themselves down while walking across cables. Thieves are stealing from boots too, each ev has two cables one for standard chargers and one for home, both quite thick and long, good amount of metal inside. Now ev owners should remove badges or just add TDI or V6 to the rear 🤨🤪🥳

Yes, when I had a Zoe in the early days, I had to have a specific insurance to cover the cable and trip accidents by pedestrians. Also, because I did not own the batteries, the insurance was just for the car and I had to have a separate policy to cover the batteries, even though I dint technically own them as I they were leased.

That was back in 2015, so I expect a lot may have changed now, especially the Battery rental issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moved to General Discussions.

51 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Or they'll have to do a V8 swap! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

This issue was highlighted in 2021 (the article linked to in the first post was originally produced in June 2021) - then mainly thefts of Tesla charging cables.

The same issue applies not just to EV's, but PHEV's as well.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Great idea, I will get a Fiat 500 electric and add a v6 Badge.  😄

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I was wondering previously what thieves will target from the Evs when they become popular., it seems they had found what they can easily get. Batteries are too heavy and difficult to remove on the streets but cables not so much and here we have a new game on , this time not catalytic converters obviously but charging cables. 🔌🔋👍

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10530305/Now-thieves-new-target-electric-cars-charger-cable.html

Have a look at this

https://abc7news.com/car-thefts-hybrid-cars-auto-burglaries-san-francisco/725532/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big_D said:

Thanks for sharing. Seriously the thieves will not stop stealing from peoples cars anything until metal recyclers continue to buy any car parts as scrap metal. 👍 My car unrecognisable as hybrid and most of the time in use, also old and high miles , not worried to much but new car owners especially private ones who paid their own money for a car., 🤐🤫

Great, so as well as a Cat-loc now we'll need a Bat-loc?? :batman: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Does that mean you'll have your own Batmobile 😀

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Plus get rid of the green portion of their number plate 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hahaha top one ☝️ 🦹🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links