Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone else had their dealer contact them about swapping in your used Yaris for a new one for free? what did you do?

GR Weasel

Because of the massive boom in used car prices and the chip shortage I  just had a call from my toyota dealer and they are offering to take my yaris back and in exchange will order me a brand new one for free, obviously they don't have the launch edition or the dynamic anymore so I don't really want to trade it in early for an excel or design, i asked them about the GR sport and he told me they just got the prices for them yesterday, so maybe I will be able to get one of them instead, an appointment has been booked to discuss my options.

Has anyone here done this or had a meeting with your dealer about it? what options can i expect? what did they say and what do they offer

Im happy with my launch edition, and there are some things that concern me about the GR sport such as what options it will have, no black wheels like mine , not sure about the seats and 18" rims. also may mean using public transport until it arrives 😐 

Ours was not an offer like that but:

We swapped from a Corolla Design to a Yaris Cross Excel. The Cross will have a front and rear camera system, space saver wheel and boot protection.  Also the same paint protection. The service plan is also included as is dent and chip repair. 

The monthly repayments are unchanged.  The only difference is the Corolla service plan was separately paid for. 

I think if you go in with a shopping list they will probably give you what you want. Remember something that would cost you £100 would cost them no more than £40-45.

Thanks for the advice,

i have thought about downgrading to an Aygo Cross X to reduce my monthly payments with the cost of living crisis , but will have to ask them to give me free Smart Cover and Gap insurance as i still have them outstanding on my current car. 

Regarding GAP, mine was taken out in year 1 but only kicks in on year 2.  I asked about when I change cars. 

They will only have been at rusk for 16 months out of 24.  I will get a credit of around £180 to the next one.  Do ask your existing insurer. 

Up until a couple of years ago they sent repeated offers for new and used Toyotas. Even invites for special customer only open days!  Apparently the doors were closed to the "general public" for a day. Really? Someone without an invitation would be turned away? Not any more though.

Possibly after a certain length of time they give up?

I have been contacted 6-7 times since November and offered £11K for mine what is nuts, i still get stuff from Vauxhall Peugeot and Nissan Renault through the post

mrpj, we just had an invite only event. 

We had a booked appointment and were given visitors ID cards.  You are probably correct that someone could walk in off the street but they might not have got the tea and stickies. 

They would have been free to look around but with all the salesmen with customers the best would be to get an appointment.  Admittedly, had we walked into a Toyota special event, and been treated better at Kia, I would be driving a Kia EV now. 

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

I have been contacted 6-7 times since November and offered £11K for mine what is nuts, i still get stuff from Vauxhall Peugeot and Nissan Renault through the post

Flog it and get them to give you a big discount off a Mk4 as well!! :naughty: 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Flog it and get them to give you a big discount off a Mk4 as well!! :naughty: 

If I wasn’t using my car how I am using it right now would have jumped the ship immediately. Yaris excel can be found less than £20k on offer minus £11K for your current Yaris only £9k difference, the price of a low mileage Auris hybrid from 2011 😉👍

Well I guess that is why the part exchange on my nine year old Honda CRV was £11,500. I was not really in the market but I knew I would be next year as the extended warranty was about to run out and it was too old to extend the warranty any further.  Lovely SUV with lots of high tech, all of which becomes expensive when it gets old and fails.  So an ex demonstration Aygo for less than £500 was too good to miss I decided.

The £0 tax and proper handbrake on mine makes me not want to get a newer yaris, the Mk4 has wide hips plus the Excel has the light interior

plus, i don't have the patience to wait 6-7 months

• Like 1

Yes yes these are all good reasons, but it's really fast and can drive itself*! :biggrin: 

Or you could get the upcoming Mazda 2 hybrid which is the exact same car but with more stuff and a dark interior :naughty: 

That £0 tax is really nice tho' compared to the £145 for mine, which is the highest tax I've paid for any car I've owned! :crybaby: 

*Sortof, to the skill level of a very paranoid learner on their 2nd day of tuition

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

proper handbrake

Although becoming less common now, that would be one of the things I would be looking for if purchasing a new car and why I'm hanging on to mine.

I personally don't like these electric/electronic brakes. Is it now only described as a "parking brake"? Is it possible to use them as an extra means of stopping if all else fails?

I've only experienced them a couple of times during test drives - no thanks.

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

That £0 tax is really nice tho' compared to the £145 for mine, which is the highest tax I've paid for any car I've owned! :crybaby: 

*Sortof, to the skill level of a very paranoid learner on their 2nd day of tuition

We had a Corolla for many years, ended up being £255 a year :eek:  Swapped it for a considerably better ZERO tax in the form of an Aygo, I sleep much better at night now :lol:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

Although becoming less common now, that would be one of the things I would be looking for if purchasing a new car and why I'm hanging on to mine.

I personally don't like these electric/electronic brakes. Is it now only described as a "parking brake"? Is it possible to use them as an extra means of stopping if all else fails?

I've only experienced them a couple of times during test drives - no thanks.

I use the 'Hold' facility on my launch edition accessed via the lower console button, which seems to work well to ensure car is held as you pull off on the flat & on hills......only draw back is you have to remember to press it every journey🤔😴......oh and this puts your brake lights on as it's applied, so may annoy anyone pulled up behind you at night!😨

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

Yes - my current 308 T9 has an electronic parking brake & it can also stop the car in an emergency by pulling the button upwards for 3 seconds, it will automatically activate the ABS system & also apply the electronic rear parking brake to stop the vehicle. 

It also automatically applies when the ignition is switched off.

I know someone who had a Vauxhall with an electronic parking brake that doesn't automatically apply itself, he walked away then saw his car roll across a yard to be stopped by a wall. 

• Like 2

Nothing beats the old school manual handbrake and manual gearbox., when we are talking about a quick reaction in an emergency situation or just for the fun factor on those snowing days and empty roads and car parks 🏎🏁🍩 for Toyota hybrids best start hill assist is your left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator, this also reminds me how nice was to drive a manual car sometimes (full control) 😉

And my dealer didn’t contact me at all for some reason 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlfK said:

I use the 'Hold' facility on my launch edition accessed via the lower console button,

...as I do mine... However,

3 hours ago, AlfK said:

......oh and this puts your brake lights on as it's applied, so may annoy anyone pulled up behind you at night!😨

Not on my Launch Edition it doesn't and that is precisely why I use it at level crossings etc so as not to blind people behind at night! (and I can leave it in "D" whilst I am waiting) Are you sure it is not your foot on the brake as you come to a standstill (which will of course put the brake light on) and then you are keeping your foot lightly on the brake pedal even though you have activated the "Hold" function?

Don't think I'm putting my foot on brake pedal Colin 🤔 ?.....but next time I'm out in the Yaris I will make a mental not to check this and get back to you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlfK said:

Don't think I'm putting my foot on brake pedal Colin 🤔 ?.....but next time I'm out in the Yaris I will make a mental not to check this and get back to you.

I've just been out to double check mine (just to make sure I am not talking rubbish!) and it definitely only puts the brake light on with pressure on the brake pedal. Start the car in "P", foot on brake, brake light on, shift to "D", pull back "Hold" switch, let go of foot brake, brake light goes out (accompanied by the car "sitting down" cause the rear brake is on), car remains stationary. Similar thing when selecting reverse (except the car "sits up").

Another interesting fact is that you cannot release the "Hold" function until you depress the brake pedal again whilst selecting "P" and then you can push the "Hold" button forward to release it... (makes sense)

1 hour ago, CPN said:

Another interesting fact is that you cannot release the "Hold" function until you depress the brake pedal again whilst selecting "P" and then you can push the "Hold" button forward to release it... (makes sense)

Is there no ‘auto’ hold like on the Mk 3 ?

3 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Is there no ‘auto’ hold like on the Mk 3 ?

If you mean when you are on hill going up, yes, that still works in much the same way (hill start assist).

• Thanks 1

Haha, I was well confused there, but I've just realised CPN and AlfK are talking about different things! :laugh: 

AlfK is talking about the Brake Hold, but CPN is pulling the Electronic handbrake/EPB switch!

The Brake Hold is a button, not a rocker switch, and you only have to press it once - When you do, it will light up HOLD on the top of the dash, and from then on if you bring the car to a *complete halt* on the footbrake, you can let go and the car will 'hold' the footbrake for you. This keeps the (very bright) LED brakelights lit, but you can leave it in D and the car won't try to push against the brakes.

The EPB, that CPN is using, you have to pull to set and push to release - This is analogous to a handbrake, but if you have the car in D it will continue to 'pull' against the brake, and will waste a lot of Battery power and probably isn't healthy for MG2.

The EPB is mostly useless in the Mk4 (And most hybrids) IMHO because of this 'straining' - If you are going to use it, it's better to put the EPB in auto-mode and use P - This automatically engages the EPB when shifting to P and stops MG2 from straining against the brakes. You can also use N with the EPB, which is what you'd do in a normal automatic, but I find the car will beep and complain at you to put it back into D if you do this as it can't charge the traction Battery (And worse will still spin the ICE up to try to, even tho' it can't, wasting fuel! This seems like a bug to me...)

The Brake Hold is a bit weird in the Mk4 - In most previous cars, you had to bring the car to a halt, then firmly press the footbrake until HOLD lit up to engage the Brake Hold. In the Mk4, you just have to turn it on with the button, then whenever you stop, no matter how light the foot brake pressure, it will hold the foot brake at that pressure when you lift off.

This does have one bad drawback, which is if you brake lightly to a stop, it will hold the car with that light brake pressure. I did this once on a hill, and when I shifted in the seat it was enough to break the friction and the car started to roll! The car freaked out and activated the emergency-auto braking with that horrible gear-grinding sound it makes when it does so (This car really does love to use the emergency automatic brakes at any opportunity...). Now I always press the brake in more after the brake hold engages just to make sure it doesn't do that ever again...!

I was confused also....so I was right when I said my brake lights always operate when I am using the switchable 'hold' button ...so not any senility just yet😂🤣😎👍

• Like 1

Aha! Does anyone know where the "slap-head" emoji is? 😉 I don't think that I have ever felt the need to use that "Hold" button! 🤣😂

Update: Having re-read the manual (Page 187) about the "Hold" button functionality, I am really not sure what the use case for it is? Can anyone enlighten me?