Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Wax or not

Hornet3D

So it has been just over a week since I did the wheels and other then drive the car I have done nothing to it to let all the coatings cure fully.  So now is the first wash of the car since I did all the work.

Process was easy, rinse the car, foam the car, wash the car ( two bucket system), rinse the car, apply wash directly by adding a few drops to a wash mit, and rinse again.  Blow dry the car and add a coating preserver.     Total time 1hr 15 minutes, including setting and clearing up.

End results

So OK the car was not very dirty to start with and it is only an Aygo but an hour or so every few weeks to keep it looking like this seems time well spent.

Wash 1.JPG

Wash 2.JPG

Wash 3.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

So it has been just over a week since I did the wheels and other then drive the car I have done nothing to it to let all the coatings cure fully.  So now is the first wash of the car since I did all the work.

Process was easy, rinse the car, foam the car, wash the car ( two bucket system), rinse the car, apply wash directly by adding a few drops to a wash mit, and rinse again.  Blow dry the car and add a coating preserver.     Total time 1hr 15 minutes, including setting and clearing up.

End results

So OK the car was not very dirty to start with and it is only an Aygo but an hour or so every few weeks to keep it looking like this seems time well spent.

Wash 1.JPG

Wash 2.JPG

Wash 3.JPG

I'm with you...mine too is 'only' an Aygo but it's mine, I love it...and I love it gleaming! 

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthantsRob said:

I'm with you...mine too is 'only' an Aygo but it's mine, I love it...and I love it gleaming! 

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

I love to see any car, small or large and of any value looking good.  We take them for granted but when you stop and think of how complex they are the desrve to be treated with respect.

• Like 1

Wow nice! My Mk4 was almost the same colour this morning! (Which is bad because it's supposed to be Decuma Grey!!!  Damn you microfine sahara dust and yesterday's rain!!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Wow nice! My Mk4 was almost the same colour this morning! (Which is bad because it's supposed to be Decuma Grey!!!  Damn you microfine sahara dust and yesterday's rain!!)

Thanks! I'm lucky, no Sahara dust here (Northamptonshire). 

If TOC ever starts having meetups again we need to put both your Aygos next to each other - I love the inverted colour schemes :laugh:  (Black with red highlights vs Red with black highlights!)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I couldn't be bothered to wash mine, so just cleaned the headlights the other day. lol

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Being an ex-demonstrator the Aygo I purchased was not a new car but detailing purposes it was new enough.  I was surprised by how many people thought I was being a little silly, to say the least, that I was taking this much trouble on a nearly new car.  I knew why I was doing it but today I discovered this so know i have an naswer for all those that thought I was mad.  Doesn't prove I am not mad of course but it is informative.

Should you detail a brand new car? - YouTube

Good video but should you have to do this to a new car that's the question 

When we the buyers pay £15000 plus for a new car it should be perfect in saying that after watching this video it has answered some questions about my first aygo which was a white one I took it back for what looked like rust on the bumper which can't happen on a plastic bumper then they got some cutting polish on it to remove it but it stayed there all the time 

On the new one now being black when I washed it the first time when I came to dry it off I thought the roof was all scratched but I found out it was like a glue it looks like when the dealership had it it had a plastic protector on the roof was taken off and just wiped over it I have now managed to get it off but it shows you need to check the car over more closely when you pick it up 

I don't let the dealership wash my car anymore the last time they did when I opened the doors it was dirty from the wash inside the door frames I now get a funny look when I say don't wash the car there reply is its free it might be free but I expect a clean car not still dirty anyway I have learnt a lot from the video answers a lot of questions 

Thanks hornet3d

3 hours ago, Dave the aygo said:

Good video but should you have to do this to a new car that's the question 

When we the buyers pay £15000 plus for a new car it should be perfect in saying that after watching this video it has answered some questions about my first aygo which was a white one I took it back for what looked like rust on the bumper which can't happen on a plastic bumper then they got some cutting polish on it to remove it but it stayed there all the time 

On the new one now being black when I washed it the first time when I came to dry it off I thought the roof was all scratched but I found out it was like a glue it looks like when the dealership had it it had a plastic protector on the roof was taken off and just wiped over it I have now managed to get it off but it shows you need to check the car over more closely when you pick it up 

I don't let the dealership wash my car anymore the last time they did when I opened the doors it was dirty from the wash inside the door frames I now get a funny look when I say don't wash the car there reply is its free it might be free but I expect a clean car not still dirty anyway I have learnt a lot from the video answers a lot of questions 

Thanks hornet3d

You make a fair point I wonder if a dealership trained or employed a car detailer rather than a car washer if they would generate enough extra business to make it worth while.  The solution they offer at the moment is not only extra but a waste of money if you compare what you would get from a skilled detailer.

It's down to money at the end of the day like most things if its done cheap and gets past the customer That's OK we have the problems later

15 minutes ago, Dave the aygo said:

It's down to money at the end of the day like most things if its done cheap and gets past the customer That's OK we have the problems later

Very true, it is just sad that so may people miss this in their excitement of collecting their new car

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 6:49 PM, Dave the aygo said:

Looks good where did you get the red rings on your wheels 

Only had mine 4 weeks. It had the Toyota finish as an extra and their instructions say not to use wax. Other than that all products used are PH neutral.

20220523_181435.jpg

2 hours ago, Chrisg99 said:

Only had mine 4 weeks. It had the Toyota finish as an extra and their instructions say not to use wax. Other than that all products used are PH neutral.

20220523_181435.jpg

Did the instructions give any guidance as to when that advice runs out as it implies that the car has had a coating applied but all coatings have a life which spans anything from six months to six years or beyond.  When water stops beading the coating is not longer doing it's job so it will be obvious when some other protection would be required but some sort of guidance as to when that it likely to happen or some way to 'top up' the protection would be useful.

FIve year guarantee. Inspection to be carried out every year so when it goes in for a service will include this.

There is a kit for the dealer to use that comes with it.

3 hours ago, Chrisg99 said:

FIve year guarantee. Inspection to be carried out every year so when it goes in for a service will include this.

There is a kit for the dealer to use that comes with it.

That seems about right for a good quality ceramic coat and providing it has been applied correctly should keep it looking pristine.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links