Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Where to put a sat nav in 2017 Aygo


HJSals
 Share

Recommended Posts

My first time here and I hope I'm doing things right!

I've just bought a 2017 Aygo and I am struggling to work out a good way of placing an external sat nav. In my 2009 model I used the cd slot to hold a sat nav cradle, and that was perfect. Of course, there is no cd slot in the 2017 model.

I have bought a cradle with a suction pad hoping to stick it to the dashboard, but with all the surfaces being curved this isn't working either.

I really don't want to suction it to the windscreen, I've done that in the past and they fall off.

How have other people found solutions to this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


In the past I have seen an accessery that essentially is a bean bag - it weighs a bit. It flops on the das and should stay there whilst normal driving. It would probably take a real emergancy stop to make it move. The base of your sat nac, which i presume has a suciton, will hold the sat nav to the bean bag foot plate. 

If find if I clean throughly what ever I going to put the sat nave suction on, then just wet the sat nav suction a little, then attach it square down, then press the suction lever the sat nav usually stays in place a long time. I have a dash cam which has a sucker, that will stay up for 3 months of more, strog sun coming through the windscreen caused it to lose suction last time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

In the past I have seen an accessery that essentially is a bean bag - it weighs a bit. It flops on the das and should stay there whilst normal driving. It would probably take a real emergancy stop to make it move. The base of your sat nac, which i presume has a suciton, will hold the sat nav to the bean bag foot plate. 

If find if I clean throughly what ever I going to put the sat nave suction on, then just wet the sat nav suction a little, then attach it square down, then press the suction lever the sat nav usually stays in place a long time. I have a dash cam which has a sucker, that will stay up for 3 months of more, strog sun coming through the windscreen caused it to lose suction last time.

That's right, if you take out a rental car with satnav in the States you tend to get the bean bag mount (think windscreen mounts are illegal in California?).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NorthantsRob said:

That's right, if you take out a rental car with satnav in the States you tend to get the bean bag mount (think windscreen mounts are illegal in California?).

 

I think sat nav on windscreen is like fitting a dash cam. The swipe if the windscreen wiper can only be filled with a small amount of accessory, that’s why dash cam is often fitted behind the interior mirror. So you would have to be careful where you put a sat nav. That’s probably why California law is as it is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bean bags and trays can slide across the dashboard especially when cornering. A windscreen mount would probably be your best fit - just moisten the sucker before you attach it to the windscreen. We used a Garmin sat nav in this way in the Aygo without any particular problem.

Haven't used the standalone sat nav for a while now (but we still keep it updated every now and again) because the i20 multimeda unit has sat nav, Apple Carplay and Android Auto. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a largish Garmin and have used their bean bag solution for years.  I was very unsure at first but it stays where it is put and even with some spirited driving.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Garmin call it a universal friction mount which is essentially a bracket surrounded by four small bean bags, placed on the top of the dash of a CRV is stayed put on all the journeys I made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

The first one is for a Garmin.

The second is a good one. The underside of the flexible base is sticky, but lifts up with no sticky residue.

Here is the bean bag https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-UNIVERSAL-BEANBAG-DASHBOARD-SAT-NAV-HOLDER-FITS-TOMTOM-GARMIN-ANTI-SLIP-/371792849424?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Frostyballs. Disagree with you. The beanbag type, in my experience, stays in place, as does the unit with the flexible base. No problem with either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The sticky-base ones are good; They use some sort of vacuum/static voodoo magic similar to what some types of cleanable/reusable screen protectors use and seem able to conform and stick to most sorts of dash material; My parents use one in their Verso to hold the dodgy GPS they have and it works surprisingly well.

Annoyingly I don't know what that sort of mount is called which makes finding an example tricky, but the base is a sort of slightly floppy gel-feeling rubber that you just put on the dash and it doesn't really feel sticky, just rubbery, but by some sort of witchcraft just sticks to most glass or plastic surfaces, even textured ones, and has a reasonable hold and doesn't slip at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

The sticky-base ones are good; They use some sort of vacuum/static voodoo magic similar to what some types of cleanable/reusable screen protectors use and seem able to conform and stick to most sorts of dash material; My parents use one in their Verso to hold the dodgy GPS they have and it works surprisingly well.

Annoyingly I don't know what that sort of mount is called which makes finding an example tricky, but the base is a sort of slightly floppy gel-feeling rubber that you just put on the dash and it doesn't really feel sticky, just rubbery, but by some sort of witchcraft just sticks to most glass or plastic surfaces, even textured ones, and has a reasonable hold and doesn't slip at all.

Modern adhesives have become quite advanced, not only giving good holding power but many also have the ability to be removed with force and not leave any residual.  You can now buy rolls of such tape quite easily so it is certainly feasible to have the satnav on the dash and have it stay there.

Strange thing with the CRV is that it came with a satnav system but the updates were so expensive that the Garmin with free updates to maps was a real winner cost wise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

Strange thing with the CRV is that it came with a satnav system but the updates were so expensive that the Garmin with free updates to maps was a real winner cost wise.

 

That’s why I use Waze on my mobile phone, I don’t even use my standalone TomTom any more. While using Waze in the car it is charging up and also connected for hands free phone calls. Three jobs done at once.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

That’s why I use Waze on my mobile phone, I don’t even use my standalone TomTom any more. While using Waze in the car it is charging up and also connected for hands free phone calls. Three jobs done at once.

Great solution.  My wife and I are not great phone users and the only social network I get involved with is this forum and another related to creating computer generated art.  The phone have are not a top brand and is a few years old so I doubt they would be good for satnav, the CRV was very choosey as to whether it decided to connect to them.  Happily the Aygo seems to lock on every time we use the car and we have the Garmin which we purchased for the CRV as it included a dash cam, which the CRV did not have.  It is a no cost solution for us at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

That’s why I use Waze on my mobile phone, I don’t even use my standalone TomTom any more. While using Waze in the car it is charging up and also connected for hands free phone calls. Three jobs done at once.

was going to say I used my phone in my 2017 before I swapped to my 2020 Aygo, I used an extremely strong magnet which went on the radio dash just on the left of my windscreen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, NorthantsRob said:

That's right, if you take out a rental car with satnav in the States you tend to get the bean bag mount (think windscreen mounts are illegal in California?).

 

I used a Satnav in California a couple of years ago. Used a windscreen suction mount and had no problems. May be I was just lucky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, flash22 said:

Brodit do a few mounting options, not cheap but are good quality

https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Toyota/AYGO/2017.htm?steer=rhd

I used to have the Brodit right mount but felt it was a bit too visible so just swapped to the angled mount which I like a lot more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Or try one of these 😀

AA Road Atlas Britain 2022 Spiral Bound (AA Road Atlas Britain) (Road Atlas Great Britain 2022) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749582707/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_RTG45PB8WJD3YXE4HTQR

I have one of them in the boot as a "Plan B" 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership