Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Entry Disabled, Im Confused

Jrooney06

There has been a lot of cars stolen recently from my area using the keyless entry signal amplification scam so my sister asked my to deactiavte hers. She has a Sept 2021 GR Sport and doesnt mind using the key as it saves her having to remember to put it in a Faraday pouch at night. I went into the vehicle settings and toggled smart entry to off. Great. Now she has to use the key now to open and close which is perfect. However now when she opens the car and gets into the driver seat ithe ignitionn wont even turn on. The only way I can get it to start is by holding the key up to the start button for a minute then it starts but surely she doesnt have to do this everytime?

On her older Corolla 2020 it didnt have smart entry but as long as the key was on her person she could start the car. I hope this isnt too confusing but surely if i turn smart entry off I should still be able to start the car with the key on my person?

Does the GR have it? Pretty sure mine doesn't, same age.

The setting you’ve changed turns off both Smart entry AND Smart start.

perhaps the best thing is to show your sister how to turn off the smart key fob each time then she can enter using the blipper.

• Like 2

As above, it turns off both, fob on the button to start isn't hard to learn, it's the same as the yaris with Smart Entry and Keyless Go (iirc that's what Toyota call it)

edit. its called Smart Entry & Push-button start on the rolla

Instead of using a Faraday pouch try what TonyHSD does, he has a CocaCola tin (other tins are fine) 😄

The wife used to forget putting her key in her Faraday pouch, one time out shoppig we bought a Sugar tin, now get 2 sets of keys and the spares all in it

I thought the newer Toyota's have sorted the theft problem by making the keyfob go to sleep if it is not moved after vehicle is locked. Meaning the keyfob is not sending out a signal unless it detects itself being moved. 

Need a 22 MY Corolla for the new theft resistant keyless fobs.

• Like 1

On the newer models the key fob does go to sleep after a few minutes if there is no movement. 

• Like 2

I was querying Toyota about this when I bought the Mk4 as I also wanted to disable the keyless entry, but not the keyless start. The short version is there is no way to disable one, but not the other, as that setting disables the Smart system transponders completely.

I just leave my keys in my room which is on the opposite-side of the house from the street as that should be far enough away.

Other options are: The TonyHSD Patented Key Storage Faraday Half-A-Can (Other brands of can and tin are available) or, when she locks the car, hold down LOCK and press UNLOCK twice; This turns off the radio on the Smart fob until one of the buttons is pressed to lock/unlock the car. That might get annoying as it has to be done every time, but if she can work it into her routine then might not be so bad.

(This is also extremely useful if you keep your keys on you while washing the car, otherwise the door handle sensor will keep lock/unlocking the car when you get near it!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

@Cyker, I understand  'holding down the LOCK and press UNLOCK twice' seems the best option. Do you want to explain the following part more explicitly please?

(This is also extremely useful if you keep your keys on you while washing the car, otherwise the door handle sensor will keep lock/unlocking the car when you get near it!)

28 minutes ago, bigblock said:

I thought the newer Toyota's have sorted the theft problem by making the keyfob go to sleep if it is not moved after vehicle is locked. Meaning the keyfob is not sending out a signal unless it detects itself being moved. 

That’s only the my22 models

1 hour ago, Jrooney06 said:

There has been a lot of cars stolen recently from my area using the keyless entry signal amplification scam so my sister asked my to deactiavte hers. She has a Sept 2021 GR Sport and doesnt mind using the key as it saves her having to remember to put it in a faraday pouch at night. I went into the vehicle settings and toggled smart entry to off. Great. Now she has to use the key now to open and close which is perfect. However now when she opens the car and gets into the driver seat ithe ignitionn wont even turn on. The only way I can get it to start is by holding the key up to the start button for a minute then it starts but surely she doesnt have to do this everytime?

On her older Corolla 2020 it didnt have smart entry but as long as the key was on her person she could start the car. I hope this isnt too confusing but surely if i turn smart entry off I should still be able to start the car with the key on my person?

The solution is to press the start button with the key instead of your finger

19 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

@Cyker, I understand  'holding down the LOCK and press UNLOCK twice' seems the best option. Do you want to explain the following part more explicitly please?

If you wash your car with a Smart key in your pocket, every time water goes over the door sensor when you are near the door it will think someone's hand is there and lock/unlock the car - Turning the Smart key radio off with the hold lock etc. sequence stops that from happening.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you wash your car with a Smart key in your pocket, every time water goes over the door sensor when you are near the door it will think someone's hand is there and lock/unlock the car - Turning the Smart key radio off with the hold lock etc. sequence stops that from happening.

Thanks, nothing like that happens in the car wash though? I assume in the car wash, you sit in the car and put the car in neutral-c probably only place hybrid is put in neutral apart from towing.

33 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

That’s only the my22 models

Does this auto sleeping function also applies to MY22 C-HR?

5 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks, nothing like that happens in the car wash though? I assume in the car wash, you sit in the car and put the car in neutral-c probably only place hybrid is put in neutral apart from towing.

Don't know, never used an automatic car wash! So far I have only had it happen to me when hand-washing the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jrooney06 said:

The only way I can get it to start is by holding the key up to the start button for a minute then it starts but surely she doesnt have to do this everytime?

The 1 minute time doesn't sound right. 

I've got a different model and it's just push the brake, touch the back of the fob to the start button and press start, takes a few seconds at most.

Is the Battery in the fob low, or is it in something like a cover or case blocking the signal between the fob and the start button?

Thanks everyone for the replies, seems as though she just missed out on the new updated security key then so will have to do without smart entry. Toyota seem like they are so late to the party. Her choice was this or a 1 series but we opted for the Toyota, having had a 1 series myself in the past the Toyota won because it was a hybrid and a longer warrranty but there are a couple of really simple things that are annoying like for example why when she unlocks the car the headlights don't turn on when it's dark or why when you drive away the doors don't automatically lock instead of having to push a button everytime and the smart entry not being up to scratch. These security features especially for a young girl are actually quite important especially when driving or out and about at night in the winter. I assumed when she bought the car being so new i would have these as standard. I can remember in 2016 and 17 buying a Faraday pouch for my dads car so its been known for a long time now!

Why do you want headlamps to come on when you unlock the car? The interior lights come on, open the door and puddle lights come on. Is that not enough? 

37 minutes ago, Jrooney06 said:

... but there are a couple of really simple things that are annoying like for example why when she unlocks the car the headlights don't turn on when it's dark or why when you drive away the doors don't automatically lock instead of having to push a button everytime and the smart entry not being up to scratch. These security features especially for a young girl are actually quite important especially when driving or out and about at night in the winter.

Especially when you consider all the "smart" driving aids the car has, like Lane Tracking Assist, Adaptive Cruise control, or Rear Crossing Traffic Alert (don't know if the Corolla has that, but my Yaris does), etc. Where I live it's not really an issue, but when I go to the big city I make sure I lock the car doors before we drive away. As for the key fob thing, the car is parked is parked inside, mostly, when not being driven. The Yaris has the smart keys that don't transmit when they haven't been moved for a few minutes.

1 hour ago, Jrooney06 said:

. I assumed when she bought the car being so new i would have these as standard. 

Modern cars change all the time, you cannot assume anything. I remember Mrs Kingo having a Micra many years ago. The passenger door had no courtesy light switch on it, the wiring was there, but if you opened the passenger door there was no interior light. i assumed it would have one, it was easy to fit one. There are so many features on new cars that you always need to check, particularly if it is important to you. Recently a chap I knew bought a new car, his old model had rear parking sensors and no camera, the new model had a camera but no sensors, proper peeved he was, but should have made sure if it was that important to him  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Modern cars change all the time, you cannot assume anything. I remember Mrs Kingo having a Micra many years ago. The passenger door had no courtesy light switch on it, the wiring was there, but if you opened the passenger door there was no interior light. i assumed it would have one, it was easy to fit one. There are so many features on new cars that you always need to check, particularly if it is important to you. Recently a chap I knew bought a new car, his old model had rear parking sensors and no camera, the new model had a camera but no sensors, proper peeved he was, but should have made sure if it was that important to him  

Fair enough, the door locking if i have read correctly, is standard equipment in America as by law it's required. The rear cameras and parking sesnors i can understand as they require hardware whereas the door locking and lights at night are just software features. As @Stopeter44 said though with the spec she bought (2.0 gr sport) these simple features i would have considered standard especially considering all the other fancy tech it has. Anyway, i think i will just disable the smart entry and see how she gets on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Why do you want headlamps to come on when you unlock the car? The interior lights come on, open the door and puddle lights come on. Is that not enough? 

Imagine you are a 24 year old girl walking to your car at a night or more often looking for your car at night in a busy car park. Trust me i know it sounds insignificant but I have it on my car and it is so simple but makes difference. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, it is down to the buyer to check the specification is to the level they want, rather than expecting a car, no matter what the cost, to have features they would like.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the end of the day, it is down to the buyer to check the specification is to the level they want, rather than expecting a car, no matter what the cost, to have features they would like.

That's true, but something like auto door locking has been standard on basic models from other manufacturers for 10 years or more, I thought it was like that for all modern cars, especially as in some markets like the USA it's a requirement. I was really surprised, after I ordered the car, to find that wouldn't be the case. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it is frustrating (the I think about it, which isn't often) I wrote to Toyota, thinking that every Toyota owner asked for it, maybe they'd come up with a firmware/software fix.

That's weird, my Mk4's main beams come on when I unlock it in the dark.

Ironically I have the opposite problem - I want to stop it doing that, as when I go to get something from the car at night, I forget it does that and get blinded in the face by the LEDs when I unlock it :laugh: 

I suspect it's something you can ask the dealer to enable/disable, like opening/closing the windows with the remote fob, which is disabled by default and has to be dealer-enabled.

(You may also be able to use things like Carly and Carista to do it if they have updated their software to support it)

It might also be worth asking if auto-locking the doors can be enabled too as maybe that's another dealer-only setting...?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links