Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does a full sized spare fit in a 1.6 petrol Auris?

tapir

Hello Everyone,

Just picked up a 2015 Auris (1.6) and wondering if anyone has fitted a full sized spare in the wheel well. I'm not bothered about second floor and it seems from the manual it's possible but nothing is listed on the UK parts sheet >

Untitled.png.9b58735efa78f1edae78ee66b99

Be interested if anyone has done this and has some pictures!

Thank you in advance,

OK, different model (2015 Auris Touring Sports Petrol Hybrid, 17" low profile alloys), but here's my experience. 

I bought a skinny spare and jack and it drops into the well with space to spare, both for height (depth?) and diameter. I think a full size spare would sit a bit higher, but that's not a problem. 

In the touring sports, there is a flimsy false floor that sits over the well for the spare wheel, and a more sturdy rigid two-piece "deck" that goes above it and provides a firm level load carrying surface. Whilst the gap between the two is OK for stowing thin things, (umbrella, torch, warning triangle etc) you could sacrifice this storage, remove the lower false floor and the full size spare should fit tyre under the rigid deck. 

I have had at least two events where a tyre was damaged beyond repair, and the actual spare wheel has been a life-saver. Where did you get your full size spare? I don't like driving on the skinny. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post, OK sounds like the hatchback is similar, there is also the false floor and lower boot. I've also got 17" wheels.

I agree that a proper spare is so much better than the space saver wheel, I was planning on just buying a second hand 17" alloy from eBay - they seem to be around the £70-£90 mark. However new steel wheels also seem available too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183516036037 £69.95 delivered + tyre.

Be great if someone on here has one fitted and can show pictures!

Can't advise re an Auris, but a full size wheel and tyre protrudes from the well in my Yaris. That had a spacesaver which is a much narrower tyre. I do have a full size spare but made a m.d.f. floor to fit in the higher position to accomodate.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, tapir said:

However new steel wheels also seem available too 

Would the steel wheel require different wheel nuts, or is the profile of the alloy wheel studs' suitable?

49 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

Would the steel wheel require different wheel nuts, or is the profile of the alloy wheel studs' suitable?

If it’s an original steel may be fitted with the standard alloy wheels lug nuts, the small space saver fits perfectly fine with the standard nuts. 👍

On 2/25/2022 at 10:52 AM, Notoyboy said:

On alloy wheels the wheel is centralised by the shouldered nut,

On steel wheels it's centralised by cone taper on end of nut.

If you look at a Toyota shouldered alloy wheel nut you will find it also has the cone taper at end of nut is it will fit both types of wheel securely

• Like 3

Further to Phil's post. The first pic is an alloy wheel nut and shows the tapered end used for a steel wheel.

The second shows the same nut positioned on a steel wheel (Spacesaver spare). Of course, for temporary use, on a spare steel wheel they are fine. But, look a bit "odd" for permanent use when a dedicated steel wheel nut(s) would be preferred.

I have used that Spacesaver once, scary:laugh:, and the nuts were fine.

190241139_wheelnut..thumb.jpg.4d442ac55e8748468ccbad36f8b6d58e.jpg585525518_wheelnutstickout.thumb.jpg.2f6291a08c031257f9b2609f62a69233.jpg

As said above, nuts from alloy can be used on steel wheel just fine, but driving with a spare is not a nice experience, especially if you have it at the front. 

Once can always order a few nuts online, they are M12 x 1,5.

I ordered a few of Febi bilstein ones, part number 46639, maybe easier to find info like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, furtula said:

but driving with a spare is not a nice experience

Most definitely, not with a Spacesaver.

I wouldn't ever go close to the specified maximum which I think is too high. 80mph is silly. I did attempt that on the M6 and it was very scary.

The above is written with tongue firmly in cheek. I know it's 80km/h!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links