Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Constantly being flashed by other drivers

Extreme_One

For the first few nights driving, back in November, when I first got the Corolla (my21.5) I was frequently being flashed by other drivers.

This was on main beam only, not high beam, and it was clear other drivers were being dazzled.

My solution was to lower the headlamps from 0 to -1.5 and the flashing stopped ~ even when unladen.

Surely that can't be right though, surely 0 should be the correct details for an unladen car.

It's just these modern led lights. Waaaay to bright. Some drivers think you've got high beam on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hardy888 said:

It's just these modern led lights. Waaaay to bright. Some drivers think you've got high beam on. 

Had the same on my previous car with halogen lights when I fitted Philips X-Treme H7 bulbs - friend of mine is a MOT tester, he checked the beam alignment on the beam setter & it was perfectly within spec. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

Surely that can't be right though, surely 0 should be the correct details for an unladen car.

Might be the case, but it is possible that, even on the new car, the lights are not aligned/levelled correctly. For the Yaris IV, 0 is for car and driver, with driver and passenger it's 0.5. That's based on average driver weight of, say, 75kg (that's what airlines considered average passenger weight, so maybe car manufacturers use the same fudge), if you are significantly heavier than that and haul around 50kg of "stuff" in the boot, that will have an affect on the light orientation.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

if you are significantly heavier than that and haul around 50kg of "stuff" in the boot

Indeed. I'm not significantly heavier, and the boot was empty.

Perhaps I'll get them to check the alignment when it goes in for it's 1st service 

• Haha 1

Modern led lights not only too bright but also often point too high especially on a big suvs. Another issue I had discovered recently is that those blueish led are indeed too blue and driving in the night when approaching roundabouts and junction often these cars look like an police blue lights instead of the normal car headlights projection. Car manufacturers went too far with lights design, colour, light projection, patterns and automatic function that seems to me cause more issues than help. 

• Like 9

I get the same when im in the country side. Flashed by others, when in country lanes that are unlit. 

couldn`t say i have ever been flashed , but lights are nowhere near  as good as previous cars matrix lights, i know lots don`t like them but they are brilliant to drive with pardon the pun.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, TonyHSD said:

Modern led lights not only too bright but also often point too high especially on a big suvs.

Yes, that's always been a problem. In the early days of SUVs, they were really based on pickup truck chassis (think Chevy S10, Suburban, etc from the 80s), and it was really annoying having those pickups behind you on the interstate highways.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links