Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On my ubik!

Stopeter44

Is there something that can be done about the over aggressive censorship of all the words that contain UBIK ? (or more precisely that part of the anatomy that people sit on) I'm thinking oo works like :

• co-UBIK
  • ho-UBIK
  • mUBIKille
  • p-UBIK-ed

and many that I can't think of, for the moment. It would seem the parsing algorithm is too aggressive.

• Haha 1

It also doesn't like

Matsush ita (Panasonic)

or

Scun thorpe (A town in north Lincolnshire)

• Haha 1

I prefer to use the phrase "On your rrr's", seems to do the trick 😁

• Haha 1

Simplest thing to do is not to use it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Simplest thing to do is not to use it.

Yes, of course, but you can't write the other word with UBIK in it that sounds like course and means rough, unrefined and so forth. It does seem like very aggressive parsing.

And of course I could say Massilia or that city on the bay south of Aix en Provence, etc. I often do.

Others have pointed out other problems, n' Schiit so why does the algorithm got to be so aggressive ?

Massilia has got through the profanity filter.

At the end of the day, there are other words you can use instead of ubik and which can get through the filter.

It's always been this way, even since before this newer fancier version of the forum - we're talking over a decade here! -  so I guess it's baked in and not something easily changed without the super-higher-ups like SuperSteve having a poke around the innards (And given last time someone poked around the innards it took the forum off-line for 3-4 days I think I'd just put up with it. :laugh: )

TBH for me it's just become an endearing quirk of the forum; It does make me chuckle when random words get ubik'd mid-word :laugh:

Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven’t a clue what you guys are discussing 🤔.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Massilia has got through the profanity filter.

Ah things have changed

Edited by Stopeter44
Marseille

19 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven’t a clue what you guys are discussing 🤔.

The Club has always used a profanity filter, which filters out swear words, etc. However there are some words which get excluded where, within the word, some of the letters trigger the filter.

The topic subject is asking whether the filter is too aggressive and whether it can be adjusted or effectively relaxed.

My view is that alternative words can be used which don't trigger the filter. 

However, there is also an issue (which hasn't been raised in this topic until now), where if one tries to overcome the filter - by, for example, using abbreviations or altering the spelling of a word to avoid the filter - the forum rules are contravened, and a moderator may edit the post, and/or issue a warning.

• Like 1

So what you're all saying, is I can use the American version of Ubi, but not English version of Ubik. That's really ...  😁😁

48 minutes ago, Big_D said:

So what you're all saying, is I can use the American version of Ubi, but not English version of Ubik. That's really ...  😁😁

In fact you've used both as the profanity filter has not been activated. When it does, the filter will replace the word with something like %33?!!!!!????33%%

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Ah things have changed

No nothing has changed. Moderators cannot alter the profanity filter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Club has always used a profanity filter, which filters out swear words, etc. However there are some words which get excluded where, within the word, some of the letters trigger the filter.

The topic subject is asking whether the filter is too aggressive and whether it can be adjusted or effectively relaxed.

My view is that alternative words can be used which don't trigger the filter. 

However, there is also an issue (which hasn't been raised in this topic until now), where if one tries to overcome the filter - by, for example, using abbreviations or altering the spelling of a word to avoid the filter - the forum rules are contravened, and a moderator may edit the post, and/or issue a warning.

Thanks Frosty, I think a profanity filter is a good thing to have on the forum. I prefer to keep it simple.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Thanks Frosty, I think a profanity filter is a good thing to have on the forum. I prefer to keep it simple.

Yes, I agree, and strongly too. As Frosty points out there are more ways to scald a cat. OTOH, I sometimes think I’ve been sent on my UBIK a bit too ubiquitously.

Clearly, the UBIK filter and the moderation team are part of the civilised space we enjoy. I was on audio forums where people would get bent out of shape over wires and would trade insults about cloth ears over wooden shelves versus perspex !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

I Agree. Like they say, time and place. 

• Like 1