Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 PHEV spare wheel storage

varastevens

The RAV4 phev is supplied in uk without a spare wheel, without a jack and brace but the rear trunk has a cavity capable of storing a spare wheel.

Toyota will not explain why you cannot purchase a spare wheel from them or the spacer to support the wheel in the trunk

Does any one have a solution for the packing to restrain a wheel in the cavity. A retaining bolt is readily available.

I have an 18inch rav4 2019-2021 KOM space saver spare wheel and Tyre kit. 

• Like 1

I used high density expanded foam blocks taped together with high density thin garage flooring in contact with the wheel. Sounds a bit pants but I’ve checked a few times since fitting and it seems not to have moved or to need retightening. A few people have fitted a spare wheels OK, I found there was plenty of room still in and around the wheel to store extra items.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, varastevens said:

The RAV4 phev is supplied in uk without a spare wheel, without a jack and brace but the rear trunk has a cavity capable of storing a spare wheel.

Toyota will not explain why you cannot purchase a spare wheel from them or the spacer to support the wheel in the trunk

Presumably it is to do with the extra weight affecting the emissions rating. The weight/emissions issue affects other models, etc - eg models with a panoramic roof, etc.

• Like 1

Does the PHEV have the thread in the boot floor so you can use the anchor bolt?

I have a full size spare and have no padding around the wheel as the  wheel is securely bolted to the floor. Use the space around and within the wheel for jack , tool kit and other accessories 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robo1 said:

Does the PHEV have the thread in the boot floor so you can use the anchor bolt?

I have a full size spare and have no padding around the wheel as the  wheel is securely bolted to the floor. Use the space around and within the wheel for jack , tool kit and other accessories 

Thread is there an M12 I think?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the hev which comes with fully size 18" spare in the boot there is no pads or sound dealing the wheel sits on the primer painted steel there a tools sit in the wheel it held to the floor by a plastic disc with metal threaded bar there no bots of polystyrene or trays like you see in some. I see on the phev a spare is on the options list . It's about weight and co2. But I would have this over a bottle if gunky stuff. 

A spare for the PHEV was never on the option list and not even on the computer to be ordered back when I bought mine in ‘21

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

A spare for the PHEV was never on the option list and not even on the computer to be ordered back when I bought mine in ‘21

If you have a MY21 car and would like an OE spare then you may be able to get your dealer to order all of the required parts from the same spec MY22 car. It worked for me, thanks to an exceptionally helpful and competent parts guy, and I now have an OE spare.

Of course, aftermarket options are also available and will certainly do exactly the same job if you are ever unfortunate enough to need it.

• Like 1

For anyone that would like to know which parts...

image.thumb.jpeg.27033c07716eb0d3bfae9111e542e2bc.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

For a RAV4.5 has anyone sourced the polystyrene support that goes under a space saver? Or around a space saver?

The tyre storage area is different from my old RAV4.4 will only take a space saver, but is a weird shape as I cannot use the original polystyrene support that has the pump and foam without cutting it up. 

I will make something if there isn’t a standard component.

9 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

For a RAV4.5 has anyone sourced the polystyrene support that goes under a space saver? Or around a space saver?

The tyre storage area is different from my old RAV4.4 will only take a space saver, but is a weird shape as I cannot use the original polystyrene support that has the pump and foam without cutting it up. 

I bought a genuine alloy space saver complete with tools and insert off eBay, they got the support, also off eBay, not sure if this is what you are looking for.

923A9D39-C6C6-4D74-9BA9-F7028CB2EEE9.png

2 hours ago, Scottydog007 said:

It's shown in the parts list that I posted earlier.

Line 3. Cushion-spare-wheel.

You may not like the price though and might want to make something yourself.

9 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

It's shown in the parts list that I posted earlier.

Line 3. Cushion-spare-wheel.

You may not like the price though and might want to make something yourself.

Wow, where do they get the price from, I was upset at paying £17.99 for it.

Check with Suzuki dealer. My 2020 Across has a spare and jack as standard. Exact same space as the Phev Rav4 in the boot.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 10:50 AM, Strangely Brown said:

For anyone that would like to know which parts...

image.thumb.jpeg.27033c07716eb0d3bfae9111e542e2bc.jpeg

Hi,

so these fit the rav4 2022?

55 minutes ago, Buzu007 said:

Hi,

so these fit the rav4 2022?

I have a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid and it came with only the TRK. I wasn't happy with that and wanted an OE spare. I knew from the brochures that the MY22 cars got a space save spare so I asked my local dealer to order all of the spare wheel parts for a 2022 car for me.

Those parts are what you see in that list. They fit perfectly in the 2021 car.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

I have a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid and it came with only the TRK. I wasn't happy with that and wanted an OE spare. I knew from the brochures that the MY22 cars got a space save spare so I asked my local dealer to order all of the spare wheel parts for a 2022 car for me.

Those parts are what you see in that list. They fit perfectly in the 2021 car.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 2022 rav4 phev and previously I ordered the jack, the handle and the wrench. The handle and the wrench the fit perfectly in the designated space next to the tow hook but the jack did not fit properly it remained slightly above the space and when I close the cover it does not fit properly. Now I ordered a space saver spare wheel not from Toyota and the tyre width was 155 and the same it did not fit it remained about 2 cm above.

now I’m still trying to figure out what to do and from here in Malta I did not get any assistance from the dealership I personally had to search for the part numbers myself.

Mark has a HEV; you have a PHEV. The HEV has a dual height boot floor and a reasonable amount of space beneath with the floor in the higher position. The PHEV lacks the lower height option because there is a load more stuff under the boot floor - I'm not sure exactly what but it could include onboard charger, repositioned fuel tank etc. So what fits in a HEV can't be guaranteed to fit in a PHEV ...

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Mark has a HEV; you have a PHEV. The HEV has a dual height boot floor and a reasonable amount of space beneath with the floor in the higher position. The PHEV lacks the lower height option because there is a load more stuff under the boot floor - I'm not sure exactly what but it could include onboard charger, repositioned fuel tank etc. So what fits in a HEV can't be guaranteed to fit in a PHEV ...

Yes probably

I got a 19” space saver replacement kit and jack etc for my Phev from ‘The Wheel Shop’ and it fits under the boot floor ok.  

I put old packing material from parcels that is a bit like a wool version of rock wool (if that makes sense) as I had it and it was soft, thick and absorbent.  The wheel sits on it and screws down into the existing mount ok.  No rattles and enough space for the jack at the side.  

IMG_29BD7A8E3443-1.jpeg

6 hours ago, SO8 said:

I got a 19” space saver replacement kit and jack etc for my Phev from ‘The Wheel Shop’ and it fits under the boot floor ok.  

I put old packing material from parcels that is a bit like a wool version of rock wool (if that makes sense) as I had it and it was soft, thick and absorbent.  The wheel sits on it and screws down into the existing mount ok.  No rattles and enough space for the jack at the side.  

IMG_29BD7A8E3443-1.jpeg

Hi, could you tell me the width of the tyre please. Thanks

6 hours ago, Buzu007 said:

I'll have to look tomorrow ... 

9 hours ago, SO8 said:

I'll have to look tomorrow ... 

thanks 

18 hours ago, Buzu007 said:

155 .........       155/70 R19 is the size 🙂 

The one supplied by Toyota is 165/90 R18

This is actually slightly bigger in diameter then the car wheels.

Wheel1.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links