Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB Socket on Yaris

Hadrian1

Unfortunately my Yaris only has one USB socket. Which is a pain if I am navigating with phone plugged in,

and  I want to play music using my USB stick.   Is there any way around this ?  A two way adapter wouldn't work AFAIK

In a word no, unless you dump the music on to your phone - it should have had Wi-Fi IMHO (part of the sat nav what's not an option on UK cars) the touch 2 has 2 USB ports, but one is used by the DCM (both 500ma limited)

i wonder if the changer port AVC-Lan can still be used ?

I've read that you CAN use a USB hub to get more ports, but the system will only recognise 2 of them, so if you e.g. plug in a 4-port USB hub only 2 of them will be used.

I must admit I've not tried it tho' so don't know if this is true!

I've tried connecting an USB hub and I can confirm that it works.  On Multimedia screen you will see two USB sources ( USB1 and USB2 ) and you can easily select which one you want to use.  You can see max two sources even f you connect a 4 port HUB.

But.... it works only if you plug two USB memory sticks ( or a smartphone used as a mass memory device ).  If you cannect a smartphone activating Android Auto or Apple Car Play, the smartphone takes the control and USB sources desappear.

So you can't connect at the same time a smartphone with AA and a memory stick.

• Thanks 1

Ohh... that part I was not aware of. Well that sucks... I wonder - If it's a USB-C phone, can you get a USB-C dongle/port-replicator, plug the phone and USB stick into that, then plug that into the car??

Thanks for  comments and info. Looks like I'll have to do without USB music if I am using navigation.

38 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Thanks for  comments and info. Looks like I'll have to do without USB music if I am using navigation.

It depends. You should be able to run a music app and a Satnav app at the same time through the CarPlay interface. I admit I haven't mastered, mainly because most of the time I'm happy with my USB stick and I don't have need of a Satnav on a daily basis. I'm sure if I needed the Satnav regularly I would make a lot more effort to make it all work.

These days, I use a dash mounted Brodit mount for the Satnav application on the phone, the downside is that I don't usually get any audible directions, because they go through the bluetooth channel, when it is active. Ironic, really, because I was so looking forward to CarPlay!

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ohh... that part I was not aware of. Well that sucks... I wonder - If it's a USB-C phone, can you get a USB-C dongle/port-replicator, plug the phone and USB stick into that, then plug that into the car??

You need a normal USB 2.0 HUB.  The USB on car is a 2.0 so you need an adapter to plug am USB C port replicator.

I've moved my audio files on an MicroSD installed in my smartphone and play them with Pulsar Audio using at the same time Waze for navigation.

Don't know the arrangement with a 2021 Hybrid but is it possible to fit something like this into a spare "hole"?

I rarely use the inbuilt u.s.b. for music, who thought it was a good idea to locate in the glovebox?

I do find the double outlet useful for satnav and/or phone connection to power or charge. A handy Battery voltage display too.

usb resized.jpg

Mrjp, a good idea.  I could certainly use a USB socket bottom right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

I rarely use the inbuilt u.s.b. for music, who thought it was a good idea to locate in the glovebox?

It was probably put there to hide a portable music player, such as the earlier iPods, etc. That's how I used a gen 5 iPod in my Clio, I kept it in the glovebox.

• Like 1

It's just a charging port Peters post, AA and AC take the full bandwidth of a 2.0 USB port and can easily saturate it, there is a a 2.1a USB charge only port that may fit the yaris (mk4) in one of the spare switch blanks - i will have to dig up the part number again if there is any interest

RE. corolla, it has a dual USB 2.1 amp charging port option in the centre console

Just some meandering thoughts

If the new touch 2 units support AVC-lan what I'm sure it does, you could use a CD changer emulator (Yatour and the like), this would require an adapter to connect it as the newer system don't have the legacy 12 pin on the back

Now the newer units do have 2 USB port 1 for the user and the other for the DCM now if you put a hub on the DCM USB effectively that will give you an extra port

I'm playing with Avc-Lan at the moment, i also have A/V and AUX in working as well as a CD Changer (still working on the MP3 part) on the 2017-2020 silver button touch2

• Like 1

On my Mk4, I have found that the easy way around this problem is to transfer all my MP3 albums onto my (Android/Pixel 3XL) phone under the \music\ folder using an \artist\album structure and then using (for me) the Amazon music app under Android Auto to play these offline tracks directly from the phone at the same time as using Navigation. Seems to work fine most of the time but, as Bob (@flash22) has already pointed out, that single USB port is easily saturated and you do get the odd random pause in the playback which can be a bit annoying sometimes...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Would any of these work?

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403462548481 << this can covert 12v into USB?

2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175104012955?var=474287691589

No. They are simply to add extra (USB) power only sockets.

(you can't get "data" from a cigarette lighter power socket)

• Like 1

Are there any improvements on 22my regarding USB's & wireless Apple car play?

Think there used to be USB stick like mp3 player which could be coupled via 3.5mm aux port. Perhaps you could use them. 

3 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Don't know the arrangement with a 2021 Hybrid but is it possible to fit something like this into a spare "hole"?

I do find the double outlet useful for satnav and/or phone connection to power or charge. A handy battery voltage display too.

usb resized.jpg

Our 2018 Icon-Tech has the front parking sensor on/off button there.

Yes both could work but I've some doubts about audio quality.  With the indicated adapters you can see the memory stick as an FM radio channel.  

If you're playng high compressed MP3 files probably you'll notice no audio degradation but if your source files are high bitrate MP3 or lossless coded audio files ( e.g. Flac ) I expect a serious loss of quality.

The best thing is to put the audio files on the smartphone memory and  play them with an AA compliant music app.

Buy an iPod, load it with your music and connect to jack point? 🤷🏻‍♀️😬

59 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Buy an iPod, load it with your music and connect to Jack point? 🤷🏻‍♀️😬

It's now illegal, covered under the mobile phone laws plus the Mk4 hasn't got an aux 🤡

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's now illegal, covered under the mobile phone laws plus the Mk4 hasn't got an aux 🤡

Am I missing something here? I know it's illegal to handle a mobile phone while driving, but why wold it be illegal to load music on it and play it through the sound system. As long as I plug it in and press play before I start driving, and don't touch the phone while I'm driving, I can't see the issue.

23 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What’s an aux clown?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

What “mobile phone laws” apply to an integrated hands free system? Show us your evidence