Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cts Vvtl-i

eep2nw

Hi guys, I got myself a 02 CTS some weeks ago and I'm just wondering if you guys get the same surge-like sensation when the lift kicks in at any gears when you take it above 6200rpm???

I get the surge feeling at 1st gear, not much in 2nd, some in 3rd and not much in 4th....

Oh, before I forget, I haven't been able to find posts so far on mechanical/technical problems or faults with the 2zz-ge engine.... any comments????

Lift sensation is one of the reason to go for this particular car.... yes... personally I think the 2nd gear feels pretty powerful if you rev all the way to over 8,000 rpm...

Yeah, you get addicted to the lift that's for sure :D I feel the lift mostly in first and second gears but there is a quite big difference on other gears too when in lift, but not as much as lower gears of course. That's because of the gear ratio. On turbo-cars you don't feel the turbo pushing that much on highers gears either (if it's no extreme-car)

Not heard of any common problems with the 2ZZGE-engines. But Nick-Johnsson (at this forum) had to have his engine replaced because of some error with the valves and pistons...

If you aren't feeling the 'Lift' much in second gear then there must be something wrong. It is my favourite gear. The Lift is fantastic in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in my CTS. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for your input. I've had a go at the lift again on 2nd gear today on a gentle uphill, but ran out of road very soon before I could take it to 8000rpm when the lift comes it, but I could notice the power band in that lift zone. I suppose when the lift kicks in, you may notice that the rpm moves pretty quickly to the redline....

I was also reading a publication from Toyota on their VVTL-i 2zzge engine and they mentioned that their 'lift' comes in 2 speed zones, the higher and the lower speeds. I guess that could also be a reason why the lift sensation isn't that great at higher gears and speeds.

Hi Guys

I am new to TOC. Just got a RunX RSi .

The 'lift' you're refering to kicks at 6000 revs and in when the position of the cam shifts. check out http://www.toyota.co.za/models/press.aspx?id=6

this blurb is taken from here'

"

In many ways, this car is mostly about the engine, a 1,8-litre VVTL-i (Variable Valve Timing with Lift - intelligent) unit that develops 141 kW at a screaming 7 800 r/min and 180 N.m of torque at 6 800. Now how, you may ask, did they manage that!

As in other similar systems, the timing of the intake valves is varied continuously throughout the rev range by hydraulically rotating the camshaft relative to its drive gear. The trick part, however, concerns the "L" in VVTL-i.

You would never say it by looking at it, but this is no ordinary 1,8 litre engine. Maximum power of 141kw is developed at a dizzy 7 800r/min and 180 N.m. torque comes on steam at 6800.

Click for larger view

Two cam lobes, each with a distinct profile, operate a single wide rocker arm that acts on both intake or both exhaust valves. A needle-bearing roller on the arm follows the low-r/min, short-duration, low-lift lobe, forcing both valves to open and close on that profile. The high-r/min higher-duration, longer-lift lobe rubs on a hardened steel slipper follower mounted to the rocker arm with a spring. Even though the high-r/min lobe is pushing down further than the low-r/min lobe, the spring absorbs the extra movement.

At 6 000 r/min - an important moment in RSi talk - the ECU sends a signal to an oil control valve at the end of the camshaft that puts oil pressure behind a lock pin in the rocker arm, sliding the pin under the spring-loaded slipper follower, locking it to the rocker arm and forcing the arm to follow the profile of the high-r/min cam lobe. By increasing the intake valve lift when the engine speed is high, VVTL-i allows greater volumes of fuel/air mixture into the combustion chamber for increased power. The result is that you have basically two engines, with the second being accessed by going over 6 000 r/min.

"

Now there's some serious techno babble for ya.

But yeah, the 'lift' is great for leaving A4's in the dust ;)

Try using lift in 5th, now you really know your moving, before you know it, it sits on 220. Lift feels good in every gear , the only gear where lift didnt make a difference was in 6th, mind you by then it was spinning at 7600rpm....230kph. :eek:

Yeah, 6th isa very dissapointing gear - there's only 300 revs or so in it.

Anyone have any idea why they did that?

so you actually had 6th gear?

i assume is so you can be going 60mph drop her in 6th and make no noise what so ever.

anyone know if a 2ZZ-GE will fit in a 4age engine bay?

so you actually had 6th gear?

i assume is so you can be going 60mph drop her in 6th and make no noise what so ever.

.... NOPE it still makes a lot of noise.

Yup... at 60mph engine rpm is around 3K+. All you hear is the droning of the exhaust until around 90mph, where it suddenly switches to "silent" mode... lift is also dependent on the air-fuel mixture (throttle-control). Controlling throttle gradually to lift zone, you don't get anything, throttle a little more to feed it a little more petrol in the zone, you get the lift immediately.... this is good stuff...

All you hear is the droning of the exhaust until around 90mph, where it suddenly switches to "silent" mode...

ive noticed this too not sure how it will stand up in court though

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links