Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

19” wheels a pain to clean

Flatcoat

12 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The T165/90D18 107M is 1.7% larger than the 235/55R19 101V - so it's a pretty good match and perfectly fine as a get-you-home spare

Thanks Philip, certainly sounds a good match, again why is the dealer not advising me this?

"The T165/90D18 107M is 1.7% larger than the 235/55R19 101V"

Without me appearing a bit stupid, how do you work this out ? 

Iain

... and the Road Hero spare wheel kit that is widely available is 155/85 R18 which is 2.7% smaller than the 235/55R19 101V - so, again it's a pretty good match 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks Philip, certainly sounds a good match, again why is the dealer not advising me this?

"The T165/90D18 107M is 1.7% larger than the 235/55R19 101V"

Without me appearing a bit stupid, how do you work this out ? 

Iain

There are loads of websites that provide the comparison - I used: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, philip42h said:

There are loads of websites that provide the comparison - I used: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Thanks again Philip great info, I'll look into it. I am certainly not comfortable without a spare, although I know it doesn't bother a lot of people.

Iain

59 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks for the info Keith, just need to get my head round this 😃

I would have thought the dealer should have been more helpful then,  as he told me that Toyota didn't do a spacesaver for my vehicle and I would have to buy a full size 19" spare at over £800. He said that he had already supplied a few to other customers.

Iain

The dealers apparently are only allowed to supply spares which are specific for your car hence saying you can only have a full size tyre 

some owners have bought a space saver such as this one https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/18-space-saver-spare-wheel-compatible-with-toyota-rav-4-2005-present-day/

The car does not come with a jack or wheel brace 

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 6:19 PM, TonyHSD said:

Non acidic TFR mixed with water, I use that then jet wash and then at the end of the shampooing of the whole car I go for the wheels with the mitt too and rinse off with the jet wash. All clean and healthy. Hybrids wheels never get too much of a brake dust or cooked dirt as they are always cold, except winter salt that becomes sticky like a black glue 😉👌

10% mix of Bilt Hamber  Surfex-HD: spay on the wheels and leave it for 5 minutes, then  wash off with the pressure washer. Been using it every two months on three different wheel types and had no issues in the last 5 years. 5% mix can be used around house and on a car interior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got 19” Black Alloy wheels on my Dynamic and don’t find them difficult to clean, a lot easier than some I’ve had in the past.

I purchased this car myself, and keep away from car washes, I had a company car, Avensis Tourer and used to always take it to a local “hand wash”, whatever they used to spray on the wheels took the lacquer off all 4 of them.

My Dynamic didn’t come with a space saver because I ordered the panoramic Roof, the dealer wouldn’t order one for me and told me it’s because the extra weight of the roof + the space saver would affect emissions.

So I bought a genuine Toyota space saver, jack and tool kit off eBay 

4A6D6992-4670-4DD0-AFCC-CE03E0B79A01.jpeg

BC5450AE-01C9-46AC-AB95-28D488E556B6.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/27/2022 at 7:05 PM, robo1 said:

The dealers apparently are only allowed to supply spares which are specific for your car hence saying you can only have a full size tyre 

some owners have bought a space saver such as this one https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/18-space-saver-spare-wheel-compatible-with-toyota-rav-4-2005-present-day/

The car does not come with a Jack or wheel brace 

On new cars that were originally specified without spares, they are told not to supply spacesavers you would obviously keep onboard as it increases the vehicle dry weight and means its CO2 rating no longer is correct, could get Toyota in hot water. A full size replacement wheel is different as you could be fitting it to the vehicle to replace a damaged one therefore keeping the CO2 the same.

Same happened with the MY2019's when people specified the glass roof, to counter the extra glass weight they removed the spare and refused to sell them to people to keep the CO2 in its declared band.

I think there is also an economic factor. Can of goo  is a lot cheaper than a wheel and tyre. When Toyota first brought out the RAV 4.4 most were supplied without a space saver. There was many negative comments on the Toyota blog and Toyota then decided to supply the car with a space saver. Don’t know if that changed the band it was in.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links