Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio swap

Michael mc c

hello Is it possible to take my stock radio out with cd player and hands free and replace it with a touch screen one with satnav ect will everything work as it should (plug and play) my car is a 2013 Toyota avensis active model basic model the unit I want to replace it with is from an icon model can this be done what's all needed to make it work thanks 

21 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

hello Is it possible to take my stock radio out with cd player and hands free and replace it with a touch screen one with satnav ect will everything work as it should (plug and play) my car is a 2013 Toyota avensis active model basic model the unit I want to replace it with is from an icon model can this be done what's all needed to make it work thanks 

you can put one of those android ones in there great get a cover to fit great plus i heard on here pioneer one is the way to go seen on here there are links on here which one to get but get one with dab+ there a great radio .that radio is only to show you there was a link on here someone said what was the best radio to get 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373244728338?epid=1444937581&hash=item56e71e9412:g:x5sAAOSwA3dYgKlP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284646695870?hash=item424643e3be%3Ag%3AfJQAAOSwPc1iA~U6&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I was looking at aftermarket units I would prefer to use the original one I know someone selling one and I know it will fit directly into the dash but I'm not sure all will work in mine like satnav dab radio ect all I have on mine is cd player and hands free 

• Like 1

Here is other topic about upgrading radio. I linked there older topics where is more discussion about radio upgrade: 

I've upgraded mine to 59005 and everything works (satnav, hands free etc.)

59005 and 59006 needs also navigation module and antenna.

• Like 1

Jiin I have seen one for sale 59005 model is the module box your talking about the one at the bottom of the head unit where is the antenna will that need to be taken out of a donor car 

14 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

Jiin I have seen one for sale 59005 model is the module box your talking about the one at the bottom of the head unit where is the antenna will that need to be taken out of a donor car 

Yep, that module box is bottom of the head unit and that antenna goes somewhere inside the dashboard. I used two sided tape to attach antenna inside the dash and it works fine. Antenna have some kind metal plate and without it navigation doesn't work (it gives some kind of a reflection or something to antenna. I tried without it and navi went crazy).

I made somekind a picture where that navigation module box and antenna is shown. Red box is that module box and blue boxes are pics about that antenna:

radio.jpg

In my case upgrade was much much easier to do when 28 pin connector with short wires was cutted from donor car and included with head unit.

It would be much easier to start upgrade if You remove head unit before anything and check which kind wiring You have behind head unit. Mine 2010 T27 didn't have that 28 pin connector originally so it needed to solder to car wiring.

86120-05220 I think that's the serial number of my head unit it's very basic Am FM radio cd player bluetooth connectivity that's it nothing fancy 

7 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

86120-05220 I think that's the serial number of my head unit it's very basic Am FM radio cd player Bluetooth connectivity that's it nothing fancy 

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like there is 28 pin connector at that head unit so it should be plug and play to upgrade navi head unit.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me will have to get one now then 

1 hour ago, Michael mc c said:

Sounds good to me will have to get one now then 

I still recommend to take out current head unit and compare those connectors. But it isn't impossible to get work if for some reason that 28 pin connector doesn't fit. In my case that connector was the only one I needed to solder to car wiring and my car is 2010 and if I remember right, donor car where the "new" head unit came was 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Jiin I just bought that unit 59005 you sent me the link to it includes the harmen module box but no antenna I have found a after market one on Amazon that looks like it's the same connection block hope all goes well and the antenna works if not the original ones ain't too hard to source I have had a few aftermarket units with the same GPS antenna and all worked great 

• Like 1

As you have a  86120-05220 it's plug and play

install guide

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/cc7189e3-c836-414a-bc21-9b8935c9887c/Avensis_Touch_and_Go_RHD_PZ490_00331_00_AIM_002_323_1.pdf

If it's the link i posted, it's missing the power/data cable (86842-YY010), but you can still use the touch screen until you get that cable

Toyota-Yaris-2011-2013-Touch-Go-1-Sat.thumb.jpg.f5655a6132ba4a3626c4a5515f3902b3.jpg

IIRC the GPS plug is a GT5-1S (HRS aka Hirose)

3 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

Jiin I just bought that unit 59005 you sent me the link to it includes the harmen module box but no antenna I have found a after market one on Amazon that looks like it's the same connection block hope all goes well and the antenna works if not the original ones ain't too hard to source I have had a few aftermarket units with the same GPS antenna and all worked great 

Tbh I have one of those touch 2 headunits it's got everything dab ,usb, all the rest sat nav. The only thing worth upgrading was the Speakers as they are completely junk. There is a link I got to upgrade the speaker system it's handy and class job .I went for alpine Speakers and a pioneer class d amp. And tbh that satnavs on the Toyota the one on my one I never use tbh as I don't bother as tbh goodle maps are great enough for me 

2009joe is the one I bought a touch 2 it's the 59005 model wasn't sure we it just touch or touch and go 

59005 is a Touch, the Go part is the Navigation module, The touch2 is mid to late 2014 onwards

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

59005 is a Touch, the Go part is the Navigation module, The touch2 is mid to late 2014 onwards

Tbh I never use that satnav in the car just takes 2 long to be bothered with it .I got loads of GB on my phone plus I put on offline maps on my phone tbh Google maps are the best really dependable .I have my 2014 avensis and tbh I have not got a clue what touch and touch 2 dose .I normally use the usb for a flash drive filled with music and dab+ I like it 

What's the power data cable for stupid question maybe lol what features will I have without this ?

Jiin I found a aftermarket GPS antenna on eBay  with the code you sent to fit the unit  but I can't get power data cable have you any idea where I could source an aftermarket one 

6 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

Jiin I found a aftermarket GPS antenna on eBay  with the code you sent to fit the unit  but I can't get power data cable have you any idea where I could source an aftermarket one 

Did You buy head unit and navigation module from same seller? I think flash22 means that cable wich connects head unit and navigation module to each other.

Yes I bought from the same seller the unit with the module box attached. there is two leads on it one at the back and another one goin from the module box to the head unit 

It's the cable that connects the Nav to the Touch see the link and pic i posted above

Flash22 the one on the back of the module box that's plugged in you sent the pic of is there and the little grey one top left that connect from the module box to head unit is there also but that 3 block connector and GPS antenna isn't I can get the antenna one from eBay but I can't source the 3 block one is that for steering wheel controls or for something else