Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel pumps rip off

Beachmonkey

I'm hoping as many people as possible read this post.

Took my Aygo to a Tesco Express (Esso) filling station to top up with fuel early this morning.

Price per litre for petrol was shown as £1.53 on the hoardings outside.

However,when I took the "gun" out of its holder to begin filling,the price per litre was £1.64 .9 shown on the pumps display.

When I queried this in the shop,the assistant told me there has been a delay in changing the prices on the forecourt displays.

Disgusted......from Bristol🤬🤬

• Sad 1

Your right to feel disgusted. So quick to put prices up, extremely slow bringing prices down.  Needs to be some law to control all this.  But there again, lawmakers want EV cars on the road to reduce air pollution, but way behind in providing facilities to be able to do that ie charger availability.

• Like 1

I’ve had this happen to me, but at the local petrol station down the road from us. Since then, I fill up elsewhere and haven’t used them for over a year. They tried to rip me off and lost all my business. Their loss as I still fill up, but now someone else gets my money. 

I believe we need to be like the French on this, and strike, protest, the prices are ridiculous, how can families with low skill low paid jobs ever cope with this unjustified prices, especially when she'll and BP with there 20billion profits, this country is a complete utter disgrace

• Like 1

It's going to get worse before it gets better. You can thank Putin for that!

• Like 1

Another issue that can hit people with limited funds, is the pre-authorisation fee when people use the pay-at-pump facility to fill up. 

Card issuers have raised the previous £1 pre-authorisation fee to £99, and basically made it a check to see whether the person has the available funds for the fuel.

Although the money doesn't actually leave one's account, the £99 is ring fenced until the actual charge for the fuel is cleared. However, although the pre-authorisation is usually cleared within a few minutes, it can affect other purchases made after the fuel purchase, and some people have had the pre-authorisation on their account for up to 48 hours.

All of the four big supermarkets now use this system. However, if people pay at the kiosk, the pre-authorisation doesn't apply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It's going to get worse before it gets better. You can thank Putin for that!

Prices are going to rise irrespective of the Russian attack on Ukraine, though some prices will rise more rapidly because of it.

My local Sainsburys - E5 Super unleaded was 152.9 pence per litre when I filled up Friday evening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beachmonkey said:

I'm hoping as many people as possible read this post.

Took my Aygo to a Tesco Express (Esso) filling station to top up with fuel early this morning.

Price per litre for petrol was shown as £1.53 on the hoardings outside.

However,when I took the "gun" out of its holder to begin filling,the price per litre was £1.64 .9 shown on the pumps display.

When I queried this in the shop,the assistant told me there has been a delay in changing the prices on the forecourt displays.

Disgusted......from Bristol🤬🤬

Were you filling up with E10?  The reason I ask is that the norm in Swindon at the moment is around £1.50 from the likes of Shell and BP with Tesco and Sainsburys a couple of pence cheaper.  £1.64 seems expensive when we are only about thirty miles up the road.  Mind you I do expect our prices to reach £1.60 odd in days.

Thank god I swapped my 2L Honda CRV for an Aygo recently.

• Like 1

My favourite local Tesco garage is closed and looks like it’s under construction., and no cheap E5 anytime soon 🙁, had some E10 from Shell, then Asda and this morning from bp, didn’t pay more than £1.50 a litre but the car not as happy as before. Seen already £1.80 a litre at different places. 🤐
Electric cars tbh very likely to be a scam and nothing else that help environment. , at least they drive nice as hybrids if you have time, nerves and place to charge them. Recently gf has complained that most public chargers she uses are either broken, not working or occupied by non electric cars and the owners says to you F off if you politely ask them to park elsewhere and let you charge your own ev. 🔌👌

Yeah, that's why I was saying they only really work if you can charge at home and it has enough range to do 99% of your normal journeys. Then they make a lot more sense, but otherwise it's a whole lot of disadvantages and very few advantages.

If you have to rely on public chargers you're just going to get bent over and shafted hard (And not in a fun way!), esp. with the cost of electricity going up. The cost per kW on rapid chargers was already a ripoff before - If they pass on the electricity hike too... well, I was going to say it'd be more expensive than petrol but with petrol going up too it'll be close :laugh: And this is still without any of the extra tax that petrol and diesel get, which they may add to public charging in the future, esp. when everyone has an EV and no choice but to use them!

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, that's why I was saying they only really work if you can charge at home and it has enough range to do 99% of your normal journeys. Then they make a lot more sense, but otherwise it's a whole lot of disadvantages and very few advantages.

If you have to rely on public chargers you're just going to get bent over and shafted hard (And not in a fun way!), esp. with the cost of electricity going up. The cost per kW on rapid chargers was already a ripoff before - If they pass on the electricity hike too... well, I was going to say it'd be more expensive than petrol but with petrol going up too it'll be close :laugh: And this is still without any of the extra tax that petrol and diesel get, which they may add to public charging in the future, esp. when everyone has an EV and no choice but to use them!

I have much the same view which is why I am glad that my driving days will have come to an end before I am forced to go down the EV route.  I am not against them as such but the charging puts me off.  I try to stay in touch and see what happens but recently I watched a review on You Tube where one guy was going back to petrol thanks to the shortage of chargers made worse by the sheer number that were out of service for long periods.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links