Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sensor?

What's this "sensor" for? Attached to cross member in front of radiator under the ribbed cover.

It isn't physically attached to anything other than cable and plug. Looks to be proximity? Checked for any warnings with bonnet open, non.

sensor 1.jpg

sensor 2.jpg

As an extra question. Would the replacement of a front suspension spring affect the front wheel tracking? I noticed, yesterday, that the steering wheel is very slightly to the left when driving straight ahead. It most definitely used to be spot on. I will have it checked anyway. What is the front wheels toe in/out for a Mk 3 petrol Yaris?

TBH any time you touch the suspension it has the possibility of affecting things like the tracking etc. as things like bushings and tensions are never the same when everything's put back on, esp. if some corners were cut, e.g. some things are tightened up while the car was still in the air instead of when it's at rest.

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

What's this "sensor" for? Attached to cross member in front of radiator under the ribbed cover.

My first guess was a 'door open' switch, but as mine isn't triggered by the bonnet being open I expect it's not. I have just been out in the car and noticed the front few inches were in the sun whilst the rest was in shade, in the garage and the outside temperature was reading 15c, so that's my next guess, the outside temperature sensor.

The sensor at the front is a "crash" sensor, it detects impacts and g forces for the airbag system

any sort of suspension work can throw the tracking out

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even considered a "crash" sensor! Makes sense. I thought initially a proximity sensor for the bonnet.

Yes, I was always under the impression that any work to suspension etc. could affect things. I'm surprised they didn't advise checking. I partially blame myself for not enquiring too.

I'll be phoning them tomorrow to organise an alignment check and adjustment.

Yikes! Better be careful not to slam the bonnet down to hard! :laugh: 

I had a new suspension arm on my old Fiesta fitted by Ford back in the day - When I got it back, started to drive off and quickly found that 'straight' was with the wheel 30 degrees to the left... went right back to them.

Just another example showing that most dealer mechanics really don't seem to have any pride in their work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The sensor at the front is a "crash" sensor, it detects impacts and g forces for the airbag system

I wonder where the outside temperature sensor is?

5 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I wonder where the outside temperature sensor is?

Front bumper , front of the radiator somewhere. 

005D5650-DF70-4375-AD67-1F34D135236D.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Just another example showing that most dealer mechanics really don't seem to have any pride in their work!

That's nothing new.

20+ years ago had a new headlamp fitted as part of a body shop repair at the vehicle's manufactures insurance approved body shop - they didn't even bother to check or adjust the headlamp alignment - it was miles out.

The dealership in question also did MOT testing on site so they had the equipment available. 

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

It isn't physically attached to anything other than cable and plug. Looks to be proximity? Checked for any warnings with bonnet open, non.

sensor 1.jpg

sensor 2.jpg

As an extra question. Would the replacement of a front suspension spring affect the front wheel tracking? I noticed, yesterday, that the steering wheel is very slightly to the left when driving straight ahead. It most definitely used to be spot on. I will have it checked anyway. What is the front wheels toe in/out for a Mk 3 petrol Yaris?

Its an impact sensor for the SRS airbag system

image.thumb.png.935de452b3f3ddb9a0506617f2970e87.png

And yes Toyota's own instruction for spring replacement finishes with carry out a wheel alignment check.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

So, in that case this can be a real 😉😂👌

Ignorant sod he deserved that 😂🤣😂

• Like 3