Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Prius Owner - Question on Park Button

Robert Ant

Hi

I have just taken ownership of a 2008 Prius T Spirit with full main dealer service history (135000 miles) in great condition.

Can you please help with one question ?

I have read the manual but I am uncertain what the correct procedure is when stationery at traffic lights for a long period - is it safe to press the " Park Button " and take my foot of the brake pedal which I think puts the shift lever in park - then put the shift lever in "Drive" when the traffic lights change - or will the car go backwards if I am on a hill as I don't think the 2008 model has "hill assist" ?

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Robert Ant said:

Hi

I have just taken ownership of a 2008 Prius T Spirit with full main dealer service history (135000 miles) in great condition.

Can you please help with one question ?

I have read the manual but I am uncertain what the correct procedure is when stationery at traffic lights for a long period - is it safe to press the " Park Button " and take my foot of the brake pedal which I think puts the shift lever in park - then put the shift lever in "Drive" when the traffic lights change - or will the car go backwards if I am on a hill as I don't think the 2008 model has "hill assist" ?

Thanks

Hi and welcome. 
You can press P and lift foot off the brake if at level ground but when on incline best to apply parking brake first, then select P and then release foot brake. When ready to drive off apply foot brake select D and release parking brake, these are the best procedures. I usually keep in D with foot on the brake unless I am sure will be over a minute wait, then I do that procedure. Remember do not leave the car in N neutral instead as when in N the engine does not charge the hybrid Battery when the charge level goes low, you may also get a warning message on screen to shift to P or D. 
Regards 👍

• Thanks 1

My advice is never press the P button at lights, or in general while in a drive mode of operation.  My normal modus operandi at lights is to move the select lever to N as I press down on the park brake, then I can lift my foot off the brake pedal.  The hybrid vehicle (HV) Battery will not charge in this configuration (if needed) but 98.2% of the time it does not need to charge the Battery (but if it does, it will put a message up on the MFD).  In addition, you are not going to be stopped at lights for any significant time for Battery charging to be a problem.  When you are ready to move off, simultaneously release the foot park brake and shift the select lever to D.   I have been doing this for many years now and it works well.

• Thanks 1

I’m with Tony and just keep my foot on the brake. The only time I will put it into park is if I know it’s going to be a loooooooooong wait ie an accident has occurred an also firmly apply the footbrake just in case someone decides to plough into the back of me. 

• Thanks 1

I do the same as Tony and Stephen. On my first test drive in a Prius Mk 2 some years ago the salesman told me that is what to if you wait at traffic lights. 

• Thanks 1

Hi 

Firstly, thanks for all of the replies much appreciated.

Can I ask if your cars have " hill assist " as I don't think my 2008 Prius T Spirit has that feature and if that has any bearing on the best procedure ?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Robert Ant said:

Hi 

Firstly, thanks for all of the replies much appreciated.

Can I ask if your cars have " hill assist " as I don't think my 2008 Prius T Spirit has that feature and if that has any bearing on the best procedure ?

Thanks

Hi, my car is from 2010 and doesn’t have hill start assist or it might have some sort of it but I never needed to use as I have a better technique: while waiting on step incline in D or R holding onto the brake just position your left foot on the brake pedal and hold it there while pressing the accelerator with your right foot and then release the brake and the car will go in your desired direction without moving in opposite direction. Works great on hybrids 👍

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

No, the Gen 2 Prius does NOT have the "Hill Assist" function.

My Gen 2 T Spirit certainly didn't.

I believe it came in from the early Gen 3. My 60 plate Gen 3 has it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, Joseph D said:

My advice is never press the P button at lights, or in general while in a drive mode of operation.  My normal modus operandi at lights is to move the select lever to N as I press down on the park brake, then I can lift my foot off the brake pedal.  The hybrid vehicle (HV) battery will not charge in this configuration (if needed) but 98.2% of the time it does not need to charge the battery (but if it does, it will put a message up on the MFD).  In addition, you are not going to be stopped at lights for any significant time for battery charging to be a problem.  When you are ready to move off, simultaneously release the foot park brake and shift the select lever to D.   I have been doing this for many years now and it works well.

This is what I also do when in traffic, I've never been stuck long enough that the Battery charge gets too low - although I do have a Plug-in with the larger Battery.

If you put in N, you don't need to hold the (service) brake in order to select D again, whereas if you put it in P with the parking brake also engaged then the process is more complicated and more prone to frustration if you make a mistake while in traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1