Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amount of revs on a hybrid

Soggyrolo

Hi All 

need to ask the following.

I bought an auris  2014 Hybrid in June last year ,overall I am happy with it except the winter mileage averaging 44mpg as opposed to 55 summer ,that’s the best I got .Anyway in starting the engine revs like most other cars first thing in a morning ,high ti get warmed up .My car seems to have quite revs even after driving a while when the engine kicks in .Is this normal? I would have thought that the revs would calm down when engine is warm .

Any thoughts would help ,this is my first hybrid 

thanks 

Howdo.

The revs will rise and fall as the demand for electricity to charge the Battery and/or drive the car changes.  

• Like 1

Hi Steve, welcome to Toyota Owners Club.  It sounds pretty normal to me. The car computer is set up well, you cannot really over-ride it, nor would you want to. The 10mpg less n winter is the norm too, mine is the same, as are all hybrids and indeed 100% electric cars. Batteries do not like the cold - even your AAA torch batteries. Come the warmer days and you will see better results. Of course short journeys do not help, so try keep moving. My Prius, which is renowned to be capable of really good mpg, in the winter drops to the 60's, summer 70's easy, even 80's.

• Like 1

Yes it’s normal. As other members mentioned engine starts up for heating in the cabin for warm up itself in 4 stages and each stage sounds different, also to recharge or discharge the hybrid Battery. Every time the engine can sound different and soon at different rpm that are not usual for petrol only cars. 👍

I don't remember how it is in the earlier ones, but mine just likes to run the engine around 2000rpm regardless of load - We reckon this is because ~2000rpm is where the engine is most efficient, so the car will run it at that speed as much as possible whether you're doing 20mph or 50, and any 'wasted' energy from that gets dumped into the traction Battery for later use. It's quite clever really!

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

I don't remember how it is in the earlier ones, but mine just likes to run the engine around 2000rpm regardless of load - We reckon this is because ~2000rpm is where the engine is most efficient, so the car will run it at that speed as much as possible whether you're doing 20mph or 50, and any 'wasted' energy from that gets dumped into the traction battery for later use. It's quite clever really!

I remember reading that somewhere and when the motoring journalists put their foot down, they thought the CVT was noisy rather than, the engine going above this sweet spot.   

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

I don't remember how it is in the earlier ones, but mine just likes to run the engine around 2000rpm regardless of load - We reckon this is because ~2000rpm is where the engine is most efficient, so the car will run it at that speed as much as possible whether you're doing 20mph or 50, and any 'wasted' energy from that gets dumped into the traction battery for later use. It's quite clever really!

Others are less rpm because they have 4🏺but Yaris has only 3😉 even in non hybrid variants like Aygo , colt and others similar 3 cylinders engines they are designed to have some useful torque way pass 2000rpm., that’s what I noticed driving colts, I had over 20 of those✌️

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

I remember reading that somewhere and when the motoring journalists put their foot down, they thought the CVT was noisy rather than, the engine going above this sweet spot.   

They are still talking about cvt whining, and plenty of other incorrect things 👍 just watch for entertainment purposes, I like Matt from carwow  recently has become one of the best comedians on the net😂👌 

The typical cvt whining in Toyota hybrids comes from the power split device and it’s planetary gear set that rotates at very high rpm plus both mg 1 and mg2 and then from the engine too. I actually like a lot the sound of the hybrid when pushed to the floor, it sounds like a jet engine or high powered turbo engine. , those 18-20k rpm are pleasant to me 🎼😌🏁

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

They are still talking about cvt whining, and plenty of other incorrect things 👍 just watch for entertainment purposes, I like Matt from carwow  recently has become one of the best comedians on the net😂👌 

The typical cvt whining in Toyota hybrids comes from the power split device and it’s planetary gear set that rotates at very high rpm plus both mg 1 and mg2 and then from the engine too. I actually like a lot the sound of the hybrid when pushed to the floor, it sounds like a jet engine or high powered turbo engine. , those 18-20k rpm are pleasant to me 🎼😌🏁

I prefer to watch the like of Weber auto on youtube, where they shown the progression of the hybrid motors and gearing design over the years. That did give a insight into the B mode, what it does and why you should only use it for it's intended purpose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Anthony I tend to take everything motoring journalists with a wee pinch of salt. It’s an informed opinion, but still an opinion at the end of the day, just like our own.

• Like 2

Thankyou for all your reply’s just one other thing does the electric motor supplement the engine when driving or does it just provide solely electric power when in ev mode .Hope that makes sense ! 

The car uses the engine (ICE) alongside the two motors (MG1 and MG2)

It uses the motors to lower revs when you're cruising (acting like a higher gear), boosts you when you're accelerating, captures electricity when you're slowing down etc. So the Hybrid magic doesn't just happen in EV mode.

It's all rather clever.

• Like 2

May depends on the HSD, but most of them will run on MG2/EV when at low speeds/low loads ("Eco zone"), and switch to the ICE-only at higher speeds/loads, which drives the wheels and charges the Battery ("Eco+ zone").

If you really give it the beans ("Pwr zone"), then it will rev the ICE up and use MG2 at the same time.

I only hear the cvt whine at low speeds when coming to a halt.

That's either the electric motor or the AVAS I think...

3 hours ago, preperationlaunch said:

The car uses the engine (ICE) alongside the two motors (MG1 and MG2)

It uses the motors to lower revs when you're cruising (acting like a higher gear), boosts you when you're accelerating, captures electricity when you're slowing down etc. So the Hybrid magic doesn't just happen in EV mode.

It's all rather clever.

Yes as I always say it’s a little genius of a car 🚗👏👏

• Like 1

In my Auris Excel hybrid hatchback (with full climate control) I notice that if I set the climate temperature to Auto 22.5C or higher, the engine runs more frequently to add heat to the cabin. Because of that, I leave mine set to Auto 22.0C all year round.  Seems a good balance of cabin temp versus economy. And yes, cold weather affects the MPG quite a bit. Roll on spring and summer. Here’s the MPG I got locally today. Auto 22C. 78 MPG on a 12 mile run in 8C outside temp. 

B6A7CC96-68B3-4E21-BCBF-0D62053DE904.jpeg

• Like 2

If you like it “tropical” in the cabin, you will get worse MPG. 

• Like 2

Gotta say I'm not finding my Yaris Mk4 a good car for winter, but that's okay as I have a coat. Where it excels is the summer tho' :naughty: 

Never had a petrol-powered car that the AC had such a small impact on!

I leave the heater off in cold weather for a couple of miles. This prevents the engine running purely to warm the cabin. When the engine gets warm from driving, then the heater goes on. Saves a teeny weeny bit of fuel!

• Like 2

On cold mornings, mine keeps the cabin blower fan pretty much off, until it starts getting warmth through from the engine, so you don’t get a face full of cold air. It’s a considerate car! Very clever HVAC system too. Reading the manual, I didn’t realise the climate control and AC was also linked to the wipers and external temperature sensors too. Clever stuff. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 7:15 PM, DaddyBaddy said:

If you like it “tropical” in the cabin, you will get worse MPG. 

Yup. I've settled on 17C and using the seat heater.

Seat heater is more efficient than heating all the cabin air.