Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If you have an early 1.0L IQ, you must do this...

Chris-M

I've had my 2009 1.0L IQ2 for 3 years, and in all this time it has been hesitant and jerky when pulling away from a standstill and has had a pretty bad acceleration flat spot between 2000 and 3000 rpm. One impact of this was I had to drop down to first gear on some steep hills, particularly near the start of a drive.

The car has been regularly serviced, so I assumed that either the clutch was starting to go or the flat spot was just something you had to live with.

I tried cleaning the MAP sensor and the PCV valve and even using Wynn's cleaner for O2/Lambda sensors, but it made little difference. Then after raising the problem on this forum, Andy (Ch299) walked me through a procedure for cleaning the aluminium plate that sits on the inlet manifold, which has small tubes that become blocked with carbon. Essentially, the early catalytic converters (up to mid 2010) took dirty (full of carbon particles) air and fed it via the aluminium plate into the EGR valve. Over time 2 of the 3 small tubes in the aluminium plate become blocked, and this has a devastating effect on the car's performance. In 2010 they changed the design of the cat to address the problem. Some dealers retro-fitted new cats, but with the age of the cars now, there's no chance of this any more.

The solution is to remove the plate, unblock the tubes and clean out all the carbon deposits. It's not a difficult job, but it takes time (0.5 - 1 day) and involves:

• Removing the wiper assembly and the panel(s) beneath it
  • Removing the throttle body
  • Removing the intake manifold
  • Removing and cleaning the EGR valve
  • Cleaning the aluminium plate, and particularly unblocking the tubes on the first 2 cylinders
  • Installing new gaskets
  • Reassembing
  • Topping up coolant

The car then needs to relearn it's idle which takes a few minutes, with lots of clouds of vapour.

The total cost was only about £25 for the gaskets, a can of carb cleaner and some coolant fluid (total around £35), but the difference is amazing. The car pulls away smoothly now, and there is no flat spot at all. The performance is so much improved! The steep, slow hill I had to go up in first gear, I can happily do in 2nd now

The problem will eventually reoccur (but it should take a few years), and can only be fully resolved by fitting the new design of cat. These are available for around £200 with fitting kit and are reasonably easy to fit. I plan to do in the near future.

If you have a 2009 or early 2010 1.0L IQ and are experiencing any of the problems I detailed, give it a try. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

PM your chassis number as Toyota recalled cars to fit new style catalysts to overcome this

I'm so glad this worked out for you Chris.

Definitely makes a huge difference. The vapor trail is quite impressive haha

I can actually teach my daughter how to drive in my car now without our the risk of an accident as before

Enjoy

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have a 2009 IQ with exactly the same symptoms and have had the egr plate removed only to find that both it and the cat were really clean and not at all blocked. Sometimes my car is slow to the point of being dangerous when pulling out of junctions and going up hills. I'd like to get it sorted as it suits me really well. Or should I just cut my losses and go for a later IQ?

is the clutch slipping ?? Stick it in 3rd and try to pull away if it stalls, all good, if it rev's the clutch is going

what is the mileage ? Have you scanned for codes, have the plugs ever been changed ?

I've done nothing so far apart from the egr plate. Car has done 104,000 and the clutch probably needs doing as I get the vibration at about 2000 rpm. Have no idea if plugs have been done but I'll do that soon. Mot is up in June and just didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of spending loads on an old car without getting the acceleration issue sorted. I'd be very happy to spend some money on it if I knew it could make a difference though!

Check the plugs the, they're good for maybe 75k-90K miles max, bad plugs cause all sorts of running issues especially under load, plugs are not that expensive

Stick with Denso plugs, Toyota's tend to run much better on them

as it's an 09 if it's on its original plugs, they did change to a cooler plug what does improve the running and mid-range - Denso SC16HR11 about £8-10 each

On 4/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, flash22 said:

Check the plugs the, they're good for maybe 75k-90K miles max, bad plugs cause all sorts of running issues especially under load, plugs are not that expensive

Stick with Denso plugs, Toyota's tend to run much better on them

as it's an 09 if it's on its original plugs, they did change to a cooler plug what does improve the running and mid-range - Denso SC16HR11 about £8-10 each

Thanks, will report back once that's done

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 11:07 PM, simonorpen said:

Thanks, will report back once that's done

have just had a full service including expensive spark plugs and the car now pulls as it should with no flat spots so hooray for that! Just shows what a difference spark plugs can make! Now, is it worth getting the clutch replaced to remove that really v annoying vibration?!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 9:30 PM, simonorpen said:

have just had a full service including expensive spark plugs and the car now pulls as it should with no flat spots so hooray for that! Just shows what a difference spark plugs can make! Now, is it worth getting the clutch replaced to remove that really v annoying vibration?!

I have just had my clutch and slave cylinder replaced and it made a lot of difference. Car is really nice to drive now. Not a cheap job - likely to be £650+

• 3 weeks later...

Just been quoted £1050 to replace clutch in my 2011 Iq2 from main dealer. Private mechanic can do the job for half that. Evidently the hydraulic release bearing is over £200 for the part.

• Like 1

Aisin, Luk or BluePrint release bearings are £95-120, A 2-piece clutch kit is £130-180

£6-750 is about right fitted

• Like 1

That's annoying, I thought they'd reduced the price of the CSC's (Concentric Slave Cylinder, basically the release bearing and slave cylinder merged) to something more reasonable... when I was after one for my Mk2, it literally cost more than the rest of the clutch parts put together!

I ended up getting one from Fensport of all places for half (maybe even a third??) the cost of the OE one!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have an IQ D1.4D 2009. 

Does this type of problem apply to my model?

On 7/24/2022 at 1:53 PM, Sérgio Alves said:

I have an IQ D1.4D 2009. 

Does this type of problem apply to my model?

Toyota Owners Club is UK based, with the majority of members in the UK. The IQ D4D was never sold in the UK so responses may be limited.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota Owners Club is UK based, with the majority of members in the UK. The IQ D4D was never sold in the UK so responses may be limited.

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 8:25 PM, Devon Aygo said:

PM your chassis number as Toyota recalled cars to fit new style catalysts to overcome this

Where do we send chassis number? Sorry, new to this 😁

On 3/1/2022 at 8:25 PM, Devon Aygo said:

47 minutes ago, Micky Ginn said:

Where do we send chassis number? Sorry, new to this 😁

Please ignore my ignorance, I did check but my car didn’t exist apparently 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Micky Ginn said:

Where do we send chassis number?

Devon Aygo was asking the member he replied to, for the chassis number to be sent to him using the Club's private message system (PM).

At the top of the webpage you are viewing, to the left of your user name, is an envelope icon. Clicking on this envelope opens the private message system and allows one to send a message to another member. Use the 'Compose New' button to compose a new message.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps everyone on here I've just paid a garage to fit the all the different parts required for the old toyota recall for this issue. Wasn't cheap but....

Completely and permantely fixed, no more dangerously slow accelerations. 

As others said this can be rectified by cleaning the carbon but this was too technical for me!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Chris-M and @Ch229 a big thanks to the pointers about a jerky acceleration.

After replacing spark plugs (Iridiums) and several fuel additives the hesitant acceleration on my iQ was still present, although it had the new style cat mounted allready. Today I cleaned out the Aluminium EGR spacer between head and inlet. All 3 pilot holes where partially blocked with carbon/soot. 

It runs a lot better now! 

Cheers

Piccies;

IMG_20221008_133259.thumb.jpg.3da768ca19337253db450e9f6cee638a.jpgIMG_20221008_143321.thumb.jpg.1875f0513eb974166698dfc4618e1f0a.jpgIMG_20221008_143333.thumb.jpg.bdcf9a2b6f83953d04b41407e51755aa.jpgIMG_20221008_133148.thumb.jpg.00104a6b1330422e45f2151a1130fdd0.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/9/2022 at 4:19 AM, M3NN0 said:

@Chris-M and @Ch229 a big thanks to the pointers about a jerky acceleration.

After replacing spark plugs (Iridiums) and several fuel additives the hesitant acceleration on my iQ was still present, although it had the new style cat mounted allready. Today I cleaned out the Aluminium EGR spacer between head and inlet. All 3 pilot holes where partially blocked with carbon/soot. 

It runs a lot better now! 

Cheers

Piccies;

1.1 MB · 0 downloads IMG_20221008_133259.thumb.jpg.3da768ca19337253db450e9f6cee638a.jpgIMG_20221008_143321.thumb.jpg.1875f0513eb974166698dfc4618e1f0a.jpgIMG_20221008_143333.thumb.jpg.bdcf9a2b6f83953d04b41407e51755aa.jpgIMG_20221008_133148.thumb.jpg.00104a6b1330422e45f2151a1130fdd0.jpg

I have done the whole egr clean a while ago, big improvement, however the car still does the slow acceleration thing on odd occasions. I am now thinking the vvti solenoid could be the problem. Am hoping to swap it out soon

• Like 2

Shouldn't there be an EML and fault code if the VVT solenoid is defective? Then again, if it's only sticking now and then, maybe, it's not detected........ Keep us posted! Thanx! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ch229 said:

I have done the whole egr clean a while ago, big improvement, however the car still does the slow acceleration thing on odd occasions. I am now thinking the vvti solenoid could be the problem. Am hoping to swap it out soon

Check it with a multimeter first it should be in the 6-8 ohm range

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links