Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Safety features

NeVeREire

I just got a new Corolla Touring Sport (SOL) 

I'm looking up the Toyota Safety Sense features. On the "Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection" is this something thats always on? or do I need to enable it each time I get into the car? 

Also, how does it work? Does it only kick in if I'm going a certain speed?  I've only had the car a week or so, and i've not had any alerts/warnings (which is good!! ) but I'd like to know if it's on, and don't' really want to aim the car at someone to test it 😁

It's quite sensitive so I'm almost certain you will experience the BRAKE! alert at some point when driving through narrow streets with parked cars or in a city that has a lot of suicidal pedestrians!

It will flash up BRAKE! when it thinks you might crash into something/one, and if you don't react quickly enough it will just slam on the brakes. Mine does it at all speeds and has saved me bumping the car on low obstacles while parking a few times now, as well as bopping the back of another car while I was still getting used to the brake-by-wire!

I have had a LOT of false positives with it tho', mainly when in narrow streets with parked cars and islands, and cars turning at junctions.

• Like 1

I got BRAKE! navigating a C-HR on test drive in to my garage to check it fitted - you need to drive in & get near the back wall which triggered the BRAKE! warning. 

I drive in the city and I've never saw a message or heard the buzzer/noise. Is there a "safe" way to test this without causing a crash?

6 hours ago, NeVeREire said:

I drive in the city and I've never saw a message or heard the buzzer/noise. Is there a "safe" way to test this without causing a crash?

When at home place a cardboard box in front of the car and drive slowly up to it.

only had it brake once, when parking my design when new, i suppose the car thought to fast and to close took me by surprise. i assume it stays active. 

• 3 weeks later...

Do I need to have the lane assist active for this to work? 

I had it on yesterday and for the first time it warned me of a cyclist.. I thought it would have been on all the time 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, NeVeREire said:

Farmers field….straw bale.

18 minutes ago, NeVeREire said:

Do I need to have the lane assist active for this to work? 

Lane assist and Pre-collision system are independent of each other, they do different things. LTA will keep the car, normally, on the right tack, i.e. follow the lane markings, and PCS will brake when it detects you are likely to drive into something, or somebody.

LTA takes a little getting used to, it feels like the car is pulling to the left or to the right, depending, and may make you think the car is acting "funny". In the Corolla, I believe you can permanently switch it off. I have become accustomed to it, and find it a useful feature.

• Like 1

yes you can switch it off on the steering wheel.

Mine went mental once as I let a bus turn across in front of me, did a full on emergency stop.

Unless I've altered something else you can adjust the sensitivity of it.

I have lane keep turned off all the time.

I've not found the BRAKE! warning to be overly sensitive. The only time I've seen it is when parking in my garage if I get a bit careless and drive further in than I should.

The first time it worked was when it decided I was too fast too close in my garage when I first got the car.  I thought I had hit the wall.  I was 30 cm short. 

It will only stop you hitting the wall up to a certain speed.  Above that speed it will still brake but not stop you in time. 

Had my Corolla since last Thursday and not noticed this until this morning at a speed of 20mph and even though I was not too close to the car in front it beeped at me and also offered the BRAKE! warning on the dash.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:14 AM, Stopeter44 said:

Lane assist and Pre-collision system are independent of each other, they do different things. LTA will keep the car, normally, on the right tack, i.e. follow the lane markings, and PCS will brake when it detects you are likely to drive into something, or somebody.

LTA takes a little getting used to, it feels like the car is pulling to the left or to the right, depending, and may make you think the car is acting "funny". In the Corolla, I believe you can permanently switch it off. I have become accustomed to it, and find it a useful feature.

Blind Spot Monitoring would have been a better safety standard than the LTA in my opinion.  BSM is standard across the world except for the UK market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Blind Spot Monitoring would have been a better safety standard than the LTA in my opinion.  BSM is standard across the world except for the UK market.

I see LTA more as comfort feature, although I think it helps from a safety standpoint, BSM is not standard on FR market Yaris, it comes in an optional pack for some models.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stopeter44 said:

I see LTA more as comfort feature, although I think it helps from a safety standpoint, BSM is not standard on FR market Yaris, it comes in an optional pack for some models.

Still do not understand that if all cater for safety on the road then all safety packages should be standard across all models.  As a Health and Safety Officer I find lack of safety sense appalling in this regard (more drivers and more cars on road = increase in risk = safety features should be standardised).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

As a Health and Safety Officer I find lack of safety sense appalling in this regard (more drivers and more cars on road = increase in risk = safety features should be standardised).

Good point!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

Still do not understand that if all cater for safety on the road then all safety packages should be standard across all models.  As a Health and Safety Officer I find lack of safety sense appalling in this regard (more drivers and more cars on road = increase in risk = safety features should be standardised).

I can understand what you saying with your H&SO hat on, but we take it further and everyone who steps out of the house needs to be wrapped in air bags in case they fall. But that would be an extreme some may say….. people should ”pick their feet up”. Equally a driver can turn their neck to check, of for £4 get a covex mirror that sticks on the door mirror and covers the blind spot just as good as BSM. Does the job.          
Probably the biggest hazard we have on the roads is the apparent lack of vision by a driver. Coming out of side roads, entry onto roundabouts, I would imagine the first thing a person may say is, “I didn’t see them!”. What does Toyota, and other manufacturers, need to improve that……..or is that the responsibility of some other “body”, or even maybe the driver 😄.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I can understand what you saying with your H&SO hat on, but we take it further and everyone who steps out of the house needs to be wrapped in air bags in case they fall. But that would be an extreme some may say….. people should ”pick their feet up”. Equally a driver can turn their neck to check, of for £4 get a covex mirror that sticks on the door mirror and covers the blind spot just as good as BSM. Does the job.          
Probably the biggest hazard we have on the roads is the apparent lack of vision by a driver. Coming out of side roads, entry onto roundabouts, I would imagine the first thing a person may say is, “I didn’t see them!”. What does Toyota, and other manufacturers, need to improve that……..or is that the responsibility of some other “body”, or even maybe the driver 😄.

Totally understand that 😁 and even more so with the Highway Code rules update (what is that all about???) as this allows pedestrians and cyclists to disregard their own personal safety and place the blame on the poor old motorist.

Yes Drivers need to be more aware... and I am very aware... but what I am getting at is that Toyota offer the Driver Support Packages but only offer some of them to UK as standard, whereas they offer all to other countries as standard.

I have seen, but not yet used BSM on the Yaris Cross.  I saw the alert on the mirrors but I don't know if there are other warning measures.  It seems simply a warning to look harder. 

30 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I have seen, but not yet used BSM on the Yaris Cross.  I saw the alert on the mirrors but I don't know if there are other warning measures.  It seems simply a warning to look harder. 

You are right Roy, it is a visible alert that lights in the side mirror but with a audible alert as well. And yes, I agree, it warns you to look harder.                
So a car owner without BSM could buy 2 round convex mirrors, one for each side, for less than £8 and be a visual shot of the blind spot, something BSM does not do. So more function, cheaper, more reliable (no electrics involved).

• Like 2

LTA is a pain in the backside.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

what I am getting at is that Toyota offer the Driver Support Packages but only offer some of them to UK as standard, whereas they offer all to other countries as standard.

Each separate importer decides what specs including safety features, they wish to offer for their market area. So it is down to Toyota GB as to which features they want on cars they sell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links