Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need help with an Auris, gear selector and/or clutch pedal

jcps001

Hey everyone.

I need some help with a situation that so far, hasn't produced any concern, however it isn't normal and I am trying to get it fixed. No mechanic so far has helped, so I thank you for any help you can provide.

The thing is when the car is in 1st gear, I give it some gas (let's say 2200 rpm or so) before I put in 2nd. When I press the clutch pedal to change to 2nd gear, the gear knob seems to "jump".

When I do the same when going uphill (1st to 2nd gear), logically I have to give it some more gas (maybe 2600/2800 rpm), the problem described gets worse. The gear knob jumps a bit more violently and sometimes (not frequently, rarely) it makes a "thud" sound.

Other than that, it shifts like a dream, like butter, no problem whatsoever getting on the move, the clutch feels fine, no scratchy or grinding sounds in the gearbox...

Other than this the car seems fine.

The problem exists since I bought it two years ago. Tried to get it fixed, but so far, no garage seems to find anything wrong with it, even the Toyota dealer...

The car is a 1.4 D4D Auris, manual gearbox, year 2007 with almost 121,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, 

as you described I think you need to look into engine/transmission mounts, they can be responsible for the issue you have. Best to watch some videos on YouTube how to check transmission mounts and eventually you may need someone to help you while you are checking for excessive movement of the engine. With open bonnet apply parking brake (hand brake) select first gear and try to drive the car , the engine should try to move backwards but not much, then select reverse and repeat the same engine should try to move forward but not much. Also watch the rubber on the mounts for break points, cracks and deterioration. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

I will do as you say. Thank you so much. Never thought of engine/transmission mounts.

I'd be looking at the damper springs in the pressure plate, gone weak and not absorbing the torque

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:15 PM, Phil01 said:

I'd be looking at the damper springs in the pressure plate, gone weak and not absorbing the torque

That's harder... That's going inside the bell housing... Will try.

When the torsion springs go weak in either the pressure plate or in the DMF then the engine torque is not absorbed and can and does send a thump through the transmission and can move the gear lever, a mild case of torque fluctuation.

But as others have said, check your rubber mountings as easy 1st check.

The thud sounds like a low frequency thomp and can feel it as well as hear it.

• Like 2

Thanks again. Will use all your suggestions and advice.

• 1 month later...

So, an update...

Went to the shop for the yearly maintenance and talked to my mechanic about the issue.

Today, he told me the problem is one of the bushings of the gear selector cables is worn and is making all of that. He made a video and showed it to me. It was perfectly clear how worn it is.

He also told me that it could be replaced with a new cable assembly, or this old one could be reconditioned. But he told me that to remove this one, he had to remove the exhaust... I think he was trying to warn me about the labor costs involved in the task?

Anyways, I thought you could be interested in this update.

As far as the rest of the car goes, he told me it is fine, transmission completely fine, nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

To remove the cables, you probably need to remove the exhaust.

However, the front side bushings, on the transmission are easily accessible. The other side is also easily accessible under the gear shifter.

I'd try to replace the bushings only. On the pictures it looks like the plastic bushings might just pop out, and can be transferred into the old casing.

Or you can just make a mold, and pour new ones from epoxy, i saw people doing such things.  You can even make it a bit bigger, then just sand down until you reach correct size.

Either way, cables are not cheap, nor is work to be done, so i'd try to go with a cheaper fix first, depends on how much you are into DIY.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, furtula said:

To remove the cables, you probably need to remove the exhaust.

However, the front side bushings, on the transmission are easily accessible. The other side is also easily accessible under the gear shifter.

I'd try to replace the bushings only. On the pictures it looks like the plastic bushings might just pop out, and can be transferred into the old casing.

Or you can just make a mold, and pour new ones from epoxy, i saw people doing such things.  You can even make it a bit bigger, then just sand down until you reach correct size.

Either way, cables are not cheap, nor is work to be done, so i'd try to go with a cheaper fix first, depends on how much you are into DIY.

Can you replace just the bushings without removing the cables?

I think you can. If you search for gear selector bushings, you can search for them and find there's even a bras option.

If you disconnect them from the gearbox selector fork, it should be a plastic cap, inside a metal body.

Anyway, it's just a piece of plastic, you can even take the old ones, fill the middle with epoxy, and just drill the hole to the size you need, or sand it down.

It all depends how much you are into DIY, but i think it's definitely doable.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll think about what I can do about this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links