Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 Rust rear beam underneath treatment required

Inpresmoj

Im just wondering if its worth getting the rust which is underneath the car sanded down and treated. Im not sure what part of the car its called all I can think of is beam. See pics.  Its completely solid there is no give anywhere, my mechanic said its fine but if I wanted he could sand it down and wax it.  I intend on keeping the car for as long as possible so was thinking it might be worth doing or will it just all come off again in a few years and is it a bit of a futile exercise. 

DSC_1656.jpg

DSC_1657.jpg

DSC_1658.jpg

DSC_1659.jpg

I would reverse the car up on ramps, put it in reverse gear, pull up the handbrake, chock the front wheels and attend to that immediately. That’s if you’re gonna keep the car for a long time. I would then get stuck in with a scouring wire wheel on a drill or small angle grinder, wire brush and every scouring material I can find. Apply a liberal coating of rust inhibitor, aerosol can if possible. Apply a good primer and finish off with a good metal paint. It’s hard work but if you’re gonna keep the car, then it’s worth it. I’ve been there & done that.

• Like 2

Same as Bernard says above, when under the car check the car body chassis for rust too, it looks bad indeed. These suspension arms are available as spare parts and can be replaced along with bushes and stabiliser bar links, but the body work of the car is very important. If you decide it’s rusty to a large extent you may seek a quote from body repair shop and decide your next step. If it’s too late to be safe and life extended perhaps maybe try to do a smart repair with a Simoniz black Matt spray over rust and part ex for a new car., actually this spray seals and slowing down the rust very nicely, I had used before successfully and may use it again in the future. 👍

Is it suspension arms and not as i called them beams then?  If they are replaceable then its not too bad, i will look at getting them treated though to get as long as possible out of them.  Yes i will get the body work under the car checked too, i couldnt see anything obvious so hopefully its okay and nothing is noted on any of the MOT's for rust issues.

• Like 1

Hi impresmoj,

On my cars MOT in December 2021, although it passed the test, there were advisories. The front near side and both rear suspension arms were heavily corroded. I intent to keep the car as long as i can therefore I've decided to replace them all with new ones. So I ordered new ones, and the arrived this morning. I carefully inspected them, good quality steal with sound welding. I did have to wait for 2 weeks as they were made in Germany. If you would like any more information, drop me a line.

All the best.

Peter Ling

On 3/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, Bernard Foy said:

I would reverse the car up on ramps, put it in reverse gear, pull up the handbrake, chock the front wheels and attend to that immediately. That’s if you’re gonna keep the car for a long time. I would then get stuck in with a scouring wire wheel on a drill or small angle grinder, wire brush and every scouring material I can find. Apply a liberal coating of rust inhibitor, aerosol can if possible. Apply a good primer and finish off with a good metal paint. It’s hard work but if you’re gonna keep the car, then it’s worth it. I’ve been there & done that.

What spray anit rust stuff uz put on my last car I had this stuff called krust which is great not sure if can get that in a spray can but half thinkin of doing mine I never looked at mine but it's got 47k on it and we'll going 2 start using rust treatment spray on it now slow the decay down if it's starting

I have used Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB Underbody Anti-Corrosion Wax in aerosol cans on the underside of my car which was pretty straightforward to apply and had very good reviews. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Carri said:

I have used Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB Underbody Anti-Corrosion Wax in aerosol cans on the underside of my car which was pretty straightforward to apply and had very good reviews. 

Hi there dose that stuff wash off when comes 2 mot each year and have 2 get under the car washed 

11 hours ago, 2009joe said:

Hi there dose that stuff wash off when comes 2 mot each year and have 2 get under the car washed 

I wouldn't have thought it would wash off. If you do want to remove it you would need to use white spirit. 

I was in the OPs situation as in I had a lots of visible rust underneath my 2011 T27 Estate. My mechanic said it would most likely be flagged as an advisory, so that that in mind and the fact I want to keep the car as long as possible, I went to these guys :- https://preserveprotect.co.uk/ and paid £675 to have the car professionaly treated. 

They had my the car for a week and Im hoping this will keep any corrosion issue at bay for several years. From what I can gather, These Avensis's are not particularly great at keeping corrosion at bay. In fact I contacted another company prior to these guys and the guiy basically said they didn't want the job as the the steel isn't particular thick and they have seen some seriously rotten cars once they get stuck into them. Fortunately my car was very saveable.  

This is the process (taken from their website)

• Wheels come off (incuding spare wheel), Removal of all arch liners and any underbody guards.
  • All flaking rust will be removed, (various methods are used dependant on overall condition).
  • Steam Clean the full underside/arches of Vehicle using a degreaser to remove any dirt, grease and salt.
  • Once dry and we have a clean surface to work with, Treat any rust with Rust Convertor (leave to cure overnight).
  • Injection of Cavities with Cavity Wax, all doors treated as part of the process.
  • Treat the full underside of vehicle with Underbody Wax (Clear, Grey, Brown or Black finish).

Any way here's all the photos......MOT is this Saturday. See what happens!

87788333_WhatsAppImage2022-02-23at08_58_46.thumb.jpeg.7deb8f2ec0f078c26a3c54aa014fd4f5.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.58.49.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.58.52.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.58.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.11.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.17.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.28.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 08.59.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.27.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.27.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.28.11.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-23 at 16.28.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 11.44.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 11.44.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 11.45.02.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-24 at 11.45.11.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

When the car was in at Toyota i asked them to check the rust as well as when it was getting MOT at another garage.  Both said the same thing in that its just surface rust and it looks alot worst than it actually is.  There is no peeling flaking or anything like that and it most likely will be fine for many years, its not even close to been an advisory.  

As to doing anything now to help they both said its not really going to be cost effective to get all the rust off and treat it.  With the suspension pieces the places it usually fails is in the joints and getting the rust off at this stage is not worth it.  They both advised just replace the suspension parts when and if needed as they can often outlast the car anyway.  There is a bit of surface rust on the body chassis part which if i really wanted i could look at treating as i do want to keep the car as long as possible it might be worth it. Even that though i was given the impression its not going to be that useful and that its a 12 year old car and a bit of surface rust is nothing to worry about, and that I should just monitor it and my general mechanic that i use also thought the same.

I've taken some more better photos when the car was on the ramps.  Im thinking of just leaving it after getting these 3 opinions from mechanics that have actually seen the car as im no expert and they are basically telling me its nothing to worry about.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.29 PM-2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.29 PM-3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.29 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.30 PM-2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.30 PM-3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.30 PM.jpeg

On 4/6/2022 at 5:09 PM, Inpresmoj said:

When the car was in at Toyota i asked them to check the rust as well as when it was getting MOT at another garage.  Both said the same thing in that its just surface rust and it looks alot worst than it actually is.  There is no peeling flaking or anything like that and it most likely will be fine for many years, its not even close to been an advisory.  

As to doing anything now to help they both said its not really going to be cost effective to get all the rust off and treat it.  With the suspension pieces the places it usually fails is in the joints and getting the rust off at this stage is not worth it.  They both advised just replace the suspension parts when and if needed as they can often outlast the car anyway.  There is a bit of surface rust on the body chassis part which if i really wanted i could look at treating as i do want to keep the car as long as possible it might be worth it. Even that though i was given the impression its not going to be that useful and that its a 12 year old car and a bit of surface rust is nothing to worry about, and that I should just monitor it and my general mechanic that i use also thought the same.

I've taken some more better photos when the car was on the ramps.  Im thinking of just leaving it after getting these 3 opinions from mechanics that have actually seen the car as im no expert and they are basically telling me its nothing to worry about.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.29 PM-2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.29 PM-3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.29 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.30 PM-2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.30 PM-3.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 1.58.30 PM.jpeg

what about that stuff krust seems like good stuff u can put it right on top of rust and sealed it