Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla E120

Waqasa95

hello all, first post here. 

I currently own a 2005 e120, it has the knob climate control unit and I was hoping to replace it with the electric (buttons & screen) climate control unit. I was hoping if you could tell me if this is possible before I purchase the unit? or if anyone has done it before? thank you 

Hi Waqas, welcome to Toyota Owners Club 

Hi,

The rotary controls  work directly on the air con /heating flaps etc whereas the digital controls operate via motors and gears so it would need a lot more than just the control panel changing.

Also think you would need other parts of the cars electronics modifying to be able to integrate the digital panel.

While generally only too happy with our old corolla the only thing we would change is to go Back to rotary controls for the heating and a/c !!

Though digital  looks quiet flash in practice its just a pain having to keep pressing / holding down the buttons and looking at the display  rather than a swift turn of a control knob.

If you lok at some of the top new cars with these fancy big touch screens, many have retained the rotary heating controls as more folk are finding they prefer them.

I think knobs are best if the system is manual, i.e. not 'climate control.'

I've now had 4 different cars with a climate control heater, all from different brands, and for each car, all I've had to do was set it once to a comfortable temperature for myself and then leave it - permanently. So, I'm less fussed about the type of controls with these modern systems because they manage it so well all by themselves. But if it's a manual heater then I would agree the knobs are by far the best thing for the job.