Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front view camera?

priusnoob

Hi

I bought a Kenwood DMX8020DABS. It has an input for a rear view camera which I've also bought. 

It also has an option for a front view camera.

What's the point of having a front view camera ? Is it to properly see what's in front of the bonnet? Also how would it even engage automatically? With a rear view camera, it engages when you go into reverse and as far as I can see, there's some actual good use for the rear view camera. It makes parallel parking, reversing uphill a lot easier 

Front view camera….. must admit not heard of that!

I have seen something similar on a Nissan Navara. When reverse is selected the MFD screen shows images from all around the vehicle.

Cameras are fitted front, rear and under both door mirrors.

Great for manoeuvring in tight spaces. 

• Like 1

It helps with parking, the Nissan system is called 360, Toyota has a similar system

• Like 2

Buts that is 360, Wakas was describing what that Kenwood unit would do…. Rear camera, ok is good for parking, but he stated it had facility for front camera, 360 not mentioned.

According to Kenwood that unit supports a optional Kenwood dash cam & you can view the footage on the infotainment unit screen. 

• Thanks 1

I can imagine it being helpful in some situations - I'm not used to the nose of my Mk4 being so long vs my Mk1 and Mk2, and what makes it worse is the way the bonnet slopes away so you can't see it at all!

But it has front bleepers so it's not too bad. I can definitely get closer with the rear tho' since I can see how close I am and not just rely on the very big margins of the reverse bleepers!

Would have loved a 360 degree camera system in my Mk4 tho' (Like the one the japanese one has! :crybaby: )

• Like 2

Extra cameras aid in slow speed manoeuvring for some, 360 and the like are just multiple cameras with a processing module linked to the entertainment system

at the end of the day it's just another composite video in what you can use as you please be it Blu-ray/DVD, gaming console, camera or even an incar PC

even the Touch2 has a secondary A/V or Aux in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

According to Kenwood that unit supports a optional Kenwood dash cam & you can view the footage on the infotainment unit screen. 

Ok, I was thinking it had to be a Dashcam front and rear. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Ah so not quite the 360 degree system? But rather just a dash cam? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links