Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shoddy paint job.

phillev

Hi all I've been on contact with my dealer regarding a repair my 70 plate Aygo had before I picked it up three weeks ago on the front bumper and basically it's awful. I mentioned it on collection and have since noticed that where the bumper runs underneath the idiot has clear coated over dirt which was already there and I am enclosing pictures. Seriously considering telling them I want an exchange!

IMG_20220303_074649.jpg

IMG_20220303_074700.jpg

IMG_20220303_074734.jpg

IMG_20220303_074729.jpg

• Sad 1

Agreed, that’s look really bad. I probably will spray it better with spray cans🤐 They have to take it back and re spray it properly. 

• Like 2

I would take it back and have it done properly 

• Like 2

Going back Tuesday to be rectified, I had a right go at the dealer without being rude but they know I'm not happy. You'd expect more from a main dealer than this total mess.

• Like 2

Let us know how you get on 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillev said:

Going back Tuesday to be rectified, I had a right go at the dealer without being rude but they know I'm not happy. You'd expect more from a main dealer than this total mess.

Good for you Phill, stand up for your rights and make them do it properly and professionally. Too many people are too timid and accept shoddy workmanship. The main dealership should have better standards. I certainly wouldn’t be using this dealership for any work on my car in future if I were you.😡

• Like 2

Possibly used a Smart repairer for this rather than a body shop.

• Like 1

I worked for a large national body shop company and quite frankly I would not allow them anywhere near my pushbike, let alone my car.  This particular one had deals with some insurance companies where they paid a flat rate.  For example say the rate was £1000 a repair, that is what the body shop got paid if they touched in a scratch or replaced a door mirror but if there was massive damage the body shop still only got the £1000.  So it there was a front end smash where the vehicle needed a new bonnet, both front wings, new radiator and so on the body shop absorbed the extra cost.  End result, wings came from a third party suppliers or off of a similar car that had a rear end damage and so on.  Sometimes a customer would come back after months complaining that there was rust coming through their new door, but of course is was not a new door it could have been years old depending of what write off they used to source the replacement.  Even if the doors were new often the locks, electric motors and the like came from a donor.

Ever since working there, and I did not stay there long, I have made sure that the insurance cover allowed me to ensure I could have and crash damage repaired at a manufacturer's approved body shop with the stipulation that only the manufacturer's parts and panels are used.

• Like 5

Years ago, people took pride in there work and did things properly. Now it seems as though everything is quantity over quality. 

while there are still some companies and people who have pride in what they do, it seems that it’s all about the money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big_D said:

Years ago, people took pride in there work and did things properly. Now it seems as though everything is quantity over quality. 

while there are still some companies and people who have pride in what they do, it seems that it’s all about the money. 

There are still a lot of people who would take pride in their work if they were allowed to do so but the managers put them under pressure to do other things.  I worked for a few years in an AA service centre and while I was there the powers that be decided every centre would be tasked with selling a certain number of tyres each month.  If you met your target one month the target was increased and as a result there was an implied pressure to sell tyres even when it was not particularly necessary to do so.  If you gave good customer service or went above and beyond it was rarely recognised the focus was on other factors like how many tyres were sold.

This from the AA, a company that many motorist feel are on their side so what chance the rest.

I will add my experience is from some ten years ago and so things may well have changed, certainly there were many branch managers that were very customer focused but they were generally over ruled by middle management.  I sincerely hope the branch managers won in the end.

As for me well I continued to try and go above and beyond (it was a pride thing for me) and generally ignored tyre sales and other such bottom line focused schemes.  Not surprisingly I did not stay long and left with my pride intact, it was also at this time I started having all my servicing done at the main dealers.

• Like 2

I totally agree with you, which is why I noted "there are still some companies and people who have pride in what they do"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I totally agree with you, which is why I noted "there are still some companies and people who have pride in what they do"

Too right there are and there would be many more that would give such a service if only they accepted that good customer service and making a profit is not mutually exclusive.

My biggest surprise is when I did some charity work, I know they have to watch the bottom line as they are so dependant on donations but even there they were those that were only really doing it so it looked good on their CV.  Then then was the use of computer services when many of the people they were trying to help were the very sort of people who would not own a PC.  What dented the pride the most though was when volunteers, some of whom had done so for twenty or thirty years, were forced to use technologies that they did not use in their own life.    

In this case it became stats over quality rather than quantity over quality but it was still very sad to see.

• Like 2

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It seems to be about the stats.

• Like 1

That is poor quality, hope the dealer sorts it out. We got a used Peugeot 108 few years back and that had body work issues on collection, which they sorted out, but it just a pain in time it wastes going back and forth. Over the years, had poor initial main dealer experiences, thankfully the cars been very good, so only needed parts departments who been very good, but sales and service poor. To be fair most recent Peugeot main dealer restored the faith a little, as had few warranty issues sorted without any hassle, but had better sales/service from independent 2nd hand car dealers, do what they say and hassle free collection, but they got more to loose so try and work harder.

• Like 1

Well if it isn't done up to standard this time I will say they can exchange it for another car and yeah one hundred percent a smart repair Frostyballs done by a not very smart sprayer. I have to agree with all the other opinions it's all about the money nowadays and very little care seems to be taken with anything which is very sad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

There are still a lot of people who would take pride in their work if they were allowed to do so but the managers put them under pressure to do other things.

One of my cousins used to work at a Vauxhall dealership and was allocated a set time which had been specified by Vauxhall for each job, on most cars it took longer since the specified times were set on a new car without any corrosion, rust, etc. My cousin got so fed up being told off for taking too long that he resigned after less than a year and went to work for a different dealer who understood the real world better.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, the dealer has now had the car for a week as after going to collect it last Wednesday and inspecting it before taking it away I noticed the black grille under the headlamp that had the overspray on it was sitting too low and has been found to have a broken clip. Hopefully I'll be getting it back today but as you can imagine I'm not happy! All this from a main dealer... Shocking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillev said:

Just a quick update, the dealer has now had the car for a week as after going to collect it last Wednesday and inspecting it before taking it away I noticed the black grille under the headlamp that had the overspray on it was sitting too low and has been found to have a broken clip. Hopefully I'll be getting it back today but as you can imagine I'm not happy! All this from a main dealer... Shocking.

Most main dealers these days don’t take any pride in their work, they just charge extra for no reason, their cars are no better than if you buy from copart, bca, gumtree or Facebook, seriously. I often found small independent garages have better cars in better shape. I had experienced similar issues with two major Toyota main dealers in UK, what a joke. My personal opinion is only buy from main dealers if you are buying brand new, if used even a year old can be found better outside their network, they simply use their name as official dealers but when selling used cars their service is poor, therefore never fully trust them. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Most main dealers these days don’t take any pride in their work, they just charge extra for no reason, their cars are no better than if you buy from copart, bca, gumtree or Facebook, seriously. I often found small independent garages have better cars in better shape. I had experienced similar issues with two major Toyota main dealers in UK, what a joke. My personal opinion is only buy from main dealers if you are buying brand new, if used even a year old can be found better outside their network, they simply use their name as official dealers but when selling used cars their service is poor, therefore never fully trust them. 👍

I guess it varies from dealership to dealership.  I had great service from my local Toyota dealership in the past when I was running a MK1 MR2.  I also had great service from a Honda dealership when I purchased an eighteen month old  CRV which was an approved used vehicle.    I purchased from a dealership some miles away and the local Honda dealership was so badly run.  Later in the life of the CRV I needed to take it to the local dealership and found it had all changed and talking to the new manager he admitted he was horrifies when he took over and the service you received really depended on whether your face fitted or not.    I continued with the main dealer from that point and they were first class.

My latest purchased is a ex demonstrator from the Toyota dealership that i used in my MR 2 days.   It is clearly a used vehicle but maybe different from the normal used offering but either way I was more than happy with the service I received which I hope will continue when it goes for it's first service.  

• Like 1

Finally done to an expected standard after a day job turned into a week, shocking really. Thanks for all your comments.

• Like 1

Nice one, collecting our similar used Peugeot 108 few years ago now was same, few weeks of back and forth to dealer for this and that, they just hope you don't spot things, but like you needed paint and trim bits doing. Thankfully other than that the car has been very good, reliable and easy to look after, had it about 5 years now and it still an enjoyable drive, so hope you can just enjoy your car now.   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links