Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puncture…..

Flatcoat

Two months old and a ruined tyre ☹️ Guessing it is pot hole damage. The factory fit Yokohama are Unobtanium in the UK so 2 new tyres required. Going for Continental all season contact. Will fit 2 more in the autumn and then set up for winter. If anyone wants the good tyre (a 1000 mile 235/55/19 Yokohama Avid) it is free to collect in return for a donation to Ukrainian charity appeal. 

• Like 1

That’s a pain in the BTM for sure. I know someone recently had a tyre and rim damaged but it’s such a complex process to go through insurance it’s was not worth the hassle.

will you put the new tyres on the front or rear?

PITA for the wallet too…… It is a rear so will replace those and put the fronts on in the Autumn. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's not great Adrian, good choice on the Contis 

Subjectively they feel a little less hard ride. The tyre place I use were not impressed with the Yokohama Avid. They said the tyre wall seems thin compared with other tyres. Will now investigate spare wheel options….. 

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Subjectively they feel a little less hard ride. The tyre place I use were not impressed with the Yokohama Avid. They said the tyre wall seems thin compared with other tyres. Will now investigate spare wheel options….. 

Wouldn't you want to keep the tyre and source a wheel to put it on for your spare?

• Like 1

Good choice of tyre, well rated it seems and B grade wet weather and efficiency rating is good for an all season, better than anything Toyota put on OEM. Price is decent too.

Be interesting to see if the downside is higher wear rate, but I would always prioritise performance over wear anyway.

2 hours ago, Sealiedog said:

Wouldn't you want to keep the tyre and source a wheel to put it on for your spare?

Yes but only if it fits under the boot floor. 

54 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Yes but only if it fits under the boot floor. 

If you just use the tyre on its own can you not judge it to see if it fits?

As suspected the underfloor void will not take a full size spare. Will invest in a spacesaver….. 

Adrian, I have put a space saver in mine with jack etc and all fits fine.

3 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

As suspected the underfloor void will not take a full size spare. Will invest in a spacesaver….. 

How much over size was the spare, would a 225/55R19 might be a better option if you are going to use it for towing.

Before anyone tells me you need the same size wheels for towing, I know this but if you are stuck in the middle of the countryside with no phone signal this option is better than a space saver.

Snap1.thumb.jpg.e8001324416413eae9c225cb7c595b64.jpg

It is the depth, not the diameter that is the problem. 

Adrian. Have you got a PHEV as you have not updated your profile?  I’ve got a HEV with a full size spare under the floor.

Adrian, I’m sure I’ve seem a US YouTube video that shows a full size will fit, I think there was a very slight interference but from the video it seemed acceptable. I guess from your experiment it did not work as you would have wanted?

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

Adrian, I’m sure I’ve seem a US YouTube video that shows a full size will fit, I think there was a very slight interference but from the video it seemed acceptable. I guess from your experiment it did not work as you would have wanted?

There isnt a hope in h8ll a full size will fit under the floor. The depth is simply not there. 

3 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

There isnt a hope in h8ll a full size will fit under the floor. The depth is simply not there. 

I purchased a space saver from The Wheel Shop and only today got round to putting it in the boot. I removed the supplied boot insert and modified it with my cordless multi-tool.

Whilst it fits, the wheel is a teeny bit proud at the front. A bit of finessing might improve it but whether I try or not - well we'll see.

And contrary to what was mentioned previously the retaining bolt is not 12mm (not even 10mm) so I'll collect an 8mm from work next Wednesday.

And, as Adrian says: 'There isnt a hope in h8ll a full size will fit under the floor. The depth is simply not there'.

2C5E27B5-87C8-4851-8B9F-7E2C5D990AB4.jpeg

• Like 1

The video showing a full size spare fitting is here:

To save you watching the video, I will note that the car is a RAV4 hybrid (not a Prime / PHEV) and the spare is a standard 18" x 7" rim. It fits, but only just ...

The 19" wheels (on HEV or PHEV) are on a 7.5" rim so I rather suspect that a 19" spare wouldn't fit under the load floor.

I don't know how much the PHEV and the HEV differ in terms of depth of the "wheel well" ....

The HEV doesn’t have the Battery taking up room so has a bigger boot volume AND space for a full size spare. The overall diameter of the 18” and 19” wheel and tyres will be about the same. 

10 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

The HEV doesn’t have the battery taking up room so has a bigger boot volume AND space for a full size spare. The overall diameter of the 18” and 19” wheel and tyres will be about the same. 

As you say, the 18" and 19" wheels are broadly the same diameter. The 18" wheel has a 225 tyre on a 7" rim; the 19" wheel has a 235 tyre on a 7.5" rim - so the 19" wheel will be 1cm or 0.5" deeper when laying flat in the boot.

In the HEV the traction Battery is under the rear seat; in the PHEV the traction Battery is under the floor (between the front and rear axles) - so in neither case does the traction Battery take up any space in the boot area.

Both the PHEV and the HEV have the auxiliary battery mounted in the boot - so notionally the same space requirement.

I'm guessing that the key difference is the 6.6kW battery charger unit which probably accounts for the reduction in boot capacity, but 60l seems quite a lot for that (to me) ... ?

I’ve gone out and had another look at mine and the thing I notice is that there is a space at the top of the boot there is the output for the ventilation of the traction Battery.

My HEV has 19” wheels but tyres  are 225 not 235 . Did Toyota increase the width of the tyre with the 2022 models?

11 minutes ago, robo1 said:

My HEV has 19” wheels but tyres  are 225 not 235 . Did Toyota increase the width of the tyre with the 2022 models?

I've only read the Owners Manual (for the HEV) - the latest / current version states:

Screenshot 2022-03-13 104848.png

and I've believed it ... ?