Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puncture…..

Flatcoat

29 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’ve gone out and had another look at mine and the thing I notice is that there is a space at the top of the boot there is the output for the ventilation of the traction battery.

That seems quite a long way from the traction Battery but I've no idea how the traction Battery cooling works - in the HEV it's just a vent under the rear seat where the Battery lives.

The charger will, of course, require cooling - 30A will generate a bit of warmth ...

• Like 1

Must have changed the tyre width. My manual 

A1E536D1-F91D-47A5-9F25-E31D531D9A1F.jpeg

1 hour ago, robo1 said:

My HEV has 19” wheels but tyres  are 225 not 235 . Did Toyota increase the width of the tyre with the 2022 models?

Yes if you look at some of the pictures of the MY2022 Ravs you can see the tyre size, but I can't remember which one it was.

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

As you say, the 18" and 19" wheels are broadly the same diameter. The 18" wheel has a 225 tyre on a 7" rim; the 19" wheel has a 235 tyre on a 7.5" rim - so the 19" wheel will be 1cm or 0.5" deeper when laying flat in the boot.

In the HEV the traction battery is under the rear seat; in the PHEV the traction battery is under the floor (between the front and rear axles) - so in neither case does the traction battery take up any space in the boot area.

Both the PHEV and the HEV have the auxiliary battery mounted in the boot - so notionally the same space requirement.

I'm guessing that the key difference is the 6.6kW battery charger unit which probably accounts for the reduction in boot capacity, but 60l seems quite a lot for that (to me) ... ?

The boot volume in the PHEV  is smaller than the HEV. Fact. The wheel well will not take a full size spare whether it is 18” or 19” diameter or a 225 or 235 tyre width. I am not talking about a few mm too shallow but about 7 or 8cm or 3” give or take. So no matter what Is theoretically or allegedly possible with a full size spare, in practice it isn’t!!!! 

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

That seems quite a long way from the traction battery but I've no idea how the traction battery cooling works - in the HEV it's just a vent under the rear seat where the battery lives.

The charger will, of course, require cooling - 30A will generate a bit of warmth ...

It’s probably the inverter/battery cooling system but I tend to think of it as one unit.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, robo1 said:

My HEV has 19” wheels but tyres  are 225 not 235 . Did Toyota increase the width of the tyre with the 2022 models?

They increased it by SEP 2021 when I picked mine up from Crawley, wanted a spacesaver but the ******* sales man stated " with a pan roof a spare is illegal" what a load of codswallop

4 minutes ago, BKETPE said:

They increased it by SEP 2021 when I picked mine up from Crawley, wanted a spacesaver but the ******* sales man stated " with a pan roof a spare is illegal" what a load of codswallop

These days manufacturers and particularly dealers do a lots of non sense decisions and advice.,  I will buy a full size spare wheel and tyre, chuck it into the boot and they can arrest me if they want and claim its illegal 🤣👍😄

I didn’t get a pano roof but still no supplied space saver. Have always thought the main reason is cost saving. Inflation kit is a lot cheaper than a full size spare or even a space saver

I think the real reason is all to do with fleet CO2 level compliance - Extra weight increases CO2, so to get it down they remove heavy things like the spare wheel. It's one reason they take away the spare with the pano roof - to offset the extra weight of the pano roof.

I remember when we went through a phase where you couldn't buy a Toyota in this country with a spare wheel, despite many of the cars having a space for one!

There's nothing to stop you getting one after, or getting them to throw one in if your haggling skills are good enough! Did this for my dad when he got the Verso.

Was very pleasantly surprised the Yaris Mk4 came with one!

What baffles me tho', is they say all that, then put on wide gigantic-inch rims which erases all the weight and CO2 savings! If they stuck 15" rims on the Mk4 Yaris as standard it would have lower CO2, better MPG, and I reckon there would be enough emissions headroom for a pano-roof AND space saver too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

What baffles me tho', is they say all that, then put on wide gigantic-inch rims which erases all the weight and CO2 savings! If they stuck 15" rims on the Mk4 Yaris as standard it would have lower CO2, better MPG, and I reckon there would be enough emissions headroom for a pano-roof AND space saver too!

You wouldn't last 2minutes in marketing 🤣.

• Haha 3

I take that as a compliment! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BKETPE said:

It's not complete codswallop ... the car is homologated to a specific WLTP emissions level - if can cope with a pan roof or a spare wheel but the weight of both will take the car over the homologated WLTP emissions level. So the salesman cannot sell you both a pan roof and a spare wheel because that would be contrary to the homologated specs and thus, for him/her, illegal.

However, there's absolutely nothing stopping you / the driver adding weight to the vehicle provided that you remain within the homologated maximum permissible mass. So you are perfectly free to install a spare wheel ... 😉

• Like 1

Yup, they won't give you the car out of the homologated spec, but once you take ownership you can do what the smeg you like with it.

Hmm, I wonder if that could be the future - Modular cars! You just buy the base car and add all the optional modules for features you actually want in afterwards to get around the homologation problems :laugh: 

I guess you can sortof do it atm as a lot of Toyotas have wiring for things the car doesn't have (Or even have an option for in that country!), but they normally price those parts at prohibitively expensive levels.

The other downside is you'd probably get royally shafted on insurance for all those 'mods'...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links