Do Not Sell My Personal Information

pre collision malfunction and headlight ??? malfunction warnings

jukie

Had both of these come on the other day , with a warning to take to dealer.  next time i started the car up they had both gone so thought nothing of it untill today when i realised the collision sytem isnt working ( got very close to car in front), Car is now booked in for next week , is this a common problem and what is it likely to be

8 minutes ago, jukie said:

Had both of these come on the other day , with a warning to take to dealer.  next time i started the car up they had both gone so thought nothing of it untill today when i realised the collision sytem isnt working ( got very close to car in front), Car is now booked in for next week , is this a common problem and what is it likely to be

The two together suggests that the sensor unit cannot 'see' the road, this can be due to condensation on the inside of the windscreen or ice on the outside.  If this is not the case that having the system checked by the dealer as the could be a fault with the system or sensor.   In the mean time drive with care.

1 minute ago, Hornet3D said:

The two together suggests that the sensor unit cannot 'see' the road, this can be due to condensation on the inside of the windscreen or ice on the outside.  If this is not the case that having the system checked by the dealer as the could be a fault with the system or sensor.   In the mean time drive with care.

Thanks, there wasnt any ice and it is going in next wednesday, I just assumed that after it cleared it would be working again, so thought I would test it out ...driving carefully of course

4 minutes ago, jukie said:

Thanks, there wasnt any ice and it is going in next wednesday, I just assumed that after it cleared it would be working again, so thought I would test it out ...driving carefully of course

Totally understand it is just the two features failing together tends to throw suspicion towards the sensors but I am no mechanic.

2 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

Totally understand it is just the two features failing together tends to throw suspicion towards the sensors but I am no mechanic.

I had just had the bumper replaced 2 days before so thought it might have something to do with that but from what I can gather the systems work from the camera in the windscreen so the bumper replacement shouldnt have made any difference, does that make sense

4 minutes ago, jukie said:

I had just had the bumper replaced 2 days before so thought it might have something to do with that but from what I can gather the systems work from the camera in the windscreen so the bumper replacement shouldnt have made any difference, does that make sense

Not sure on that one, I was under the impression that the was to do with the camera and laser unit behind the rear view mirror.  That said the bumper change seems to be a bit of a coincidence and I don't like coincidences.

• Like 2

There's a radar sensor mounted behind the front Toyota Badge that's also linked in to the system.

• Like 3

Who replaced the bumper?

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Who replaced the bumper?

FMG  car was hit while parked, offside wing and headlight replaced, bumper removed and resprayed

13 hours ago, forkingabout said:

There's a radar sensor mounted behind the front Toyota badge that's also linked in to the system.

Now that might be a very important piece of information.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jukie said:

FMG  car was hit while parked, offside wing and headlight replaced, bumper removed and resprayed

In which case that may have affected operation of the radar sensor and safety systems. So could be FMG's responsibility to sort.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In which case that may have affected operation of the radar sensor and safety systems. So could be FMG's responsibility to sort.

Thanks, I wasnt aware of a sensor behind the Badge, I have looked and can see a couple of connectors, so do suspect that is the problem...the car is a company lease car , they are aware that FMG had the bumper off ( at least i told them when i called, but they probably didnt listen ) but they said they will book it in at main dealer 

• 1 month later...

sorry for late update

main dealer had it and recalibrated everything

Still not sure if it works correctly, it does now give an audible and visual warning (says Brake in red on dash)  but it doesnt brake for me.

I am not sure wether it should brake or not, my previous car ( focus) did auto apply brakes to avoid a collision

does anyone know for sure if it should brake, it will be back  in the dealers in couple of months as I do high mileage

• Like 1

Newer automated emergency braking systems will brake extremely late to discourage the driver from relying on the system in everyday driving. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Newer automated emergency braking systems will brake extremely late to discourage the driver from relying on the system in everyday driving. 

I agree its not to be relied upon in everyday driving, I am just not sure its braking at all or if it should do.

its very difficult to test it out

• Like 1

If it's been in to a Toyota main dealer for calibration then it should be working perfectly fine before they allow the vehicle to be handed back to the customer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jukie said:

I agree its not to be relied upon in everyday driving, I am just not sure its braking at all or if it should do.

its very difficult to test it out

For me, if the pre warning activates then it is fine.  As you say difficult to verify, but......

• Like 1

You could try placing a cardboard box in front of the car and driving up to it ...

7 minutes ago, 50p said:

You could try placing a cardboard box in front of the car and driving up to it ...

That has Father Ted & Speed 3 written all over it 🤣

• 1 year later...

having the same exact issue and old owner had bumper replaced. Any solutions?

When dealing with bumper with radar system behind the batch,  we must warn thr shop to do it carefully. It can be grands cost fixing those system. The same thing with the windscreen.