Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Condensation inside windscreen

Bitch1001

It’s been very cold the last few days and the inside screen has been wet …. Never had a issue before 

even with air con on and blowers on screen it’s taking ages to clear 

any ideas what I can do please ….

ventilate the car , dry off the screen with paper towel and remove it from the car 

possibly got a water leak so check under the carpets etc ...although its somewhat normal to have a misted up screen in winter

next time theres a dry day have the windows down if its safe to leave the car like that

• Like 2

I wrote about almost the same problem since I had the car for the first day at the start of this winter. SInce the car was brand new, I don't suspect any leaks inside.

A few people here and in my neighbourhood adviced to put some bag near the front window with silicon gel or just a self made one with rice.
When it gets saturated you can put it in the microwave oven for 6 minutes and the moist is all gone.

As an extra, I cleaned my window well with a alcoholic solution (every grease removing product will do) and that has been enough to get me through the entire winter.
Greasy windows (dirty in general) attrackt a lot more moist and that also makes a big difference.

• Like 2

Here's a photo of the thing I bought. Seems to have gone in a new message..Sorry about that.

car demoister thing.JPG

• Like 1

As Ivan suggests, put silica gel bags under the front seats.

I have put a couple under each seat that came from any goods bought that has them in the box or packaging.

Since placing these under the seats I have not had any condensation issues on the windscreen.

• Like 1

This thread may also be of interest

If the car has one, check the cabin filter - I wonder if it's ever been changed - a clogged filter  = no fresh air flow

Occam's razor

iirc the mk2 one is accessed in the passenger footwell

it was easier to find a 108 vid for the cabin filter (same as the Aygo Mk2 and C1)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone…

I doubt the filter has ever been changed , I bought the car new , and I have  never been charged for a filter 

Just ordered a filter … thanks again 

The filter, when it's extremely dirty, you can hear it from the ventilator motor.
It is working but you feel a lot less or no air coming from the vents. Had that one time with a van I had, after 100.000 km / 60.000 miles (one year though) it did like that.

Even if that is not the case for you now, it's a good idea to change it every 1 or 2 years because otherwise it's less healthy / smelling from the aircon could occur.

In your case : it's surely not too early or a waste of money to change this filter.

After replacing filter, check if your vents and aircon is still working well.
Is there a lot of air coming out on position 4 ?
Airco : is it delivering air of around 5 °C on a warmer day ?

I generally keep my airflow on 'fresh air in' as opposed to recirc, with the fan always on 1 or 2. Sometimes easily overlooked as a cause of condensation, in addition to the advice above.

• Like 2

Make sure you put the filter in the correct way (airflow direction is marked with an arrow)

The cabin filter isn't part of the service you have to request it, it doesn't get done as its a £40-50 extra at a main stealers

All good advice given 👌👍

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Make sure you put the filter in the correct way (airflow direction is marked with an arrow)

The cabin filter isn't part of the service you have to request it, it doesn't get done as its a £40-50 extra at a main stealers

I think it depends on the service

This was copied and pasted from the Toyota website for a 2015 reg Aygo.

• Carry out 70K/84 month intermediate service as per schedule.
  • Includes:- Replace engine oil & oil filter.
  • Inspect drive belt.
  • Replace windscreen washer fluid.
  • Check all fluid levels & top up as required.
  • Inspect Battery for leaks, security of clamps & terminals.
  • Inspect cooling system, hoses & connections.
  • Inspect radiator & condenser for debris & signs of damage.
  • Inspect air filter element.
  • Inspect brake pads & discs.
  • Inspect steering wheel, gear & linkages.
  • Inspect for under vehicle and under hood fluid leaks.
  • Inspect tyre condition & inflation pressures.
  • Check wheel nuts for correct torque specification.
  • Check brake & clutch pedal travel.
  • Check operation of lights, horns, wipers & washers.
  • Check function of all warning lights.
  • Replace pollen filter.
  • Check seat belts for damage & operation.
  • Check installation of drivers floor mat.
  • Carry out wash & vacuum.
  • Carry out visual safety report.

My C-HR is due to go in for a service and I was concerned, which is why I checked. A replacement of the filter is part of my service.

It never gets done tbh, it also depends on mileage, usually it's a spill and fill, tick the boxes and out the door

plus a lot of car at 3/5 years get taken to independent garages

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

It never gets done tbh, it also depends on mileage, usually it's a spill and fill, tick the boxes and out the door

I think you could be correct there. Out of sight, out of mind. Who's going to check it's been done 😁

3 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I think you could be correct there. Out of sight, out of mind. Who's going to check it's been done 😁

Case in point

• Haha 1

Yeah, they're supposed to check it, but I can hand-on-heart say my dealer has *never* changed the cabin filter or even checked and advised that it needed changing in any of the 3 (now 4) Yarisueseises I've serviced with them. Not once!

The change is chargeable too, but so easy I'd rather do it myself.

I have to say, my Mk4 had terrible condensation when I first had it - Someone mentioned offgassing plastics and i think they were right. While it had that new-car smell I was forever wiping down the inside of the windscreen with my trusty microfibre cloth and some lens cleaner spray, but now that the new-car smell has gone it's been fine! :laugh: 

Although it does make me a bit worried what the heck I've been breathing in while it had that new car small :eek: :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 9:14 AM, flash22 said:

The new  cabin filter arrived Today …it has no marking on sides to show which way to put in ….

any help please