Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Toyota Yaris 1L vvti Petrol


Recommended Posts

At the moment I am driving a Mk1 D4D 1.4 Toyota Yaris 2005 which is, and as been exceptionally reliable. The only issue I've got is that being a diesel are a bit complicated when it comes to throwing "fault codes " mine being a P1229 fuel overpressure, not got a clue what to do because car is now randomly cutting out and stalling. I don't fancy taking it to a diesel specialist and getting ripped off, so I've decided to invest in a Toyota Yaris petrol my question is which one? Was looking at the 1L petrol because it returns nearly as good Mpg as my diesel, just wondered what they are like on the motorway under load on a hill etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Andy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, Xpcoindetective said:

At the moment I am driving a Mk1 D4D 1.4 Toyota yaris 2005 which is, and as been exceptionally reliable. The only issue I've got is that being a diesel are a bit complicated when it comes to throwing "fault codes " mine being a P1229 fuel overpressure, not got a clue what to do because car is now randomly cutting out and stalling. I don't fancy taking it to a diesel specialist and getting ripped off, so I've decided to invest in a Toyota yaris petrol my question is which one? Was looking at the 1L petrol because it returns nearly as good Mpg as my diesel, just wondered what they are like on the motorway under load on a hill etc. Any information would be appreciated.

Andy.

Yes the 1.0ltr is a very good wee car, my wife has a 2015 model and I find it lively enough, very economical, comfortable on long runs, is happy cruising around 65mph. However as expected on steep hills, or on passing out slower traffic then you would have to change down into 4th gear and welly it. But a great little car never the less.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

P1299 is usually a fuel starvation issue caused by running the tank dry, lack of fuel filter maintenance - clogged filter (think trying to suck ice cream up through a straw)

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edit: I had that error - The diesel fuel filter in the engine bay was blocked!! Just change it - The part is dead cheap and it's a 10 minute job to change it (Get a garage to do it as it can be messy; I did it myself and got diesel all over myself because I am an idiot :laugh: )

 

TBH, they'll both feel pathetically gutless compared to the 1.4 D4D. Even the T-Sport doesn't have that sheer mid-range grunt the 1.4 D4D has (Although it is hilarious rev out on a hoon :laugh: ).

I had to go through the same transition thanks to Sadiq KHAAAAAN - Had to say a sad farewell to my Mk1 D4D, and changed to a Mk2 1.33 thinking it has 100HP vs my D4D's 74HP, surely it'll be more powerful, and the rated mpg isn't *that* worse. Nope.

Still absolutely gutless - Where you'd have max torque from 1800+ rpm, in the D4D the petrol ones need 4.5k+ to really 'go' and that tanks the mpg something awful. I had to completely change my driving style to maximize mpg while still being able to actually overtake safely.

 

If you can stump up the money, I'd say the next best car to a Mk1 D4D is a Mk4 Hybrid - It's the only car the comes close to the always-available torque and high mpg of the D4D. The problem is it is eye-wateringly expensive compared to a Mk1 D4D so likely not a realistic proposition...

The 1.4 D4D is a really unique car - If you can still drive it without being fined to oblivion by the local authorities, I'd say it's worth fixing it. Every other car will be more expensive to run and worse to drive.

I'd still have my one if I didn't attract a daily £12.50 fine down here!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, flash22 said:

P1299 is usually a fuel starvation issue caused by running the tank dry, lack of fuel filter maintenance - clogged filter (think trying to suck ice cream up through a straw)

 

Hi Flash 22, thanks for replying to my request! I fully understand what you saying about the fuel starvation issue but unfortunately neither fuel filter is blocked because I've changed my fuel filter last year and checked the tank fuel sender. The P1229 is apparently a fuel over pressure and is usually caused by either the Fuel pressure regulator or fuel pressure sensor situated on either end of the common rail which can easily be changed, but it can also be other fuel related issues or sometimes wiring faults, problem is just throwing money at parts does not always solve your issues and can be an expensive road to travel. Apparently the Fuel regulator valve is a common fault on the mk 1 Yaris diesel.

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i agree, you don't throw parts at a car, the code is just a symptom/diagnostic aid, not the cause

the metering valves are usually fine, it's the pressure sensor on the fuel rail that fail, you can check the resistance with a meter

the engine should fire by spraying some easy-start down the intake

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

Edit: I had that error - The diesel fuel filter in the engine bay was blocked!! Just change it - The part is dead cheap and it's a 10 minute job to change it (Get a garage to do it as it can be messy; I did it myself and got diesel all over myself because I am an idiot :laugh: )

 

TBH, they'll both feel pathetically gutless compared to the 1.4 D4D. Even the T-Sport doesn't have that sheer mid-range grunt the 1.4 D4D has (Although it is hilarious rev out on a hoon :laugh: ).

I had to go through the same transition thanks to Sadiq KHAAAAAN - Had to say a sad farewell to my Mk1 D4D, and changed to a Mk2 1.33 thinking it has 100HP vs my D4D's 74HP, surely it'll be more powerful, and the rated mpg isn't *that* worse. Nope.

Still absolutely gutless - Where you'd have max torque from 1800+ rpm, in the D4D the petrol ones need 4.5k+ to really 'go' and that tanks the mpg something awful. I had to completely change my driving style to maximize mpg while still being able to actually overtake safely.

 

If you can stump up the money, I'd say the next best car to a Mk1 D4D is a Mk4 Hybrid - It's the only car the comes close to the always-available torque and high mpg of the D4D. The problem is it is eye-wateringly expensive compared to a Mk1 D4D so likely not a realistic proposition...

The 1.4 D4D is a really unique car - If you can still drive it without being fined to oblivion by the local authorities, I'd say it's worth fixing it. Every other car will be more expensive to run and worse to drive.

I'd still have my one if I didn't attract a daily £12.50 fine down here!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your feedback makes sense you mention the torque between the petrol and diesel big difference I understand. Changed my fuel filter last year on my d4d cleaned egr valve ,throttle body and  cleaned exhaust manifold which are common power loss issues if Neglected. The p1229 code relates to fuel over pressure which can be a list of problems just need to know how to pinpoint and diagnose the problem without spending money on guessing and part throwing. Apparently the Fuel pressure regulator I'm told are a common failure problem on the mk1 Yaris but could be an injector, wiring fault, fuel pressure sensor or fuel sender pump in other words a mine field 

35 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i agree, you don't throw parts at a car, the code is just a symptom/diagnostic aid, not the cause

the metering valves are usually fine, it's the pressure sensor on the fuel rail that fail, you can check the resistance with a meter

the engine should fire by spraying some easy-start down the intake

 

36 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i agree, you don't throw parts at a car, the code is just a symptom/diagnostic aid, not the cause

the metering valves are usually fine, it's the pressure sensor on the fuel rail that fail, you can check the resistance with a meter

the engine should fire by spraying some easy-start down the intake

Thanks for reply no problem starting my car just rough idle after statup and random cutout while driving but drives smooth with minimal power loss. You mention checking fuel sensor not the regulator and do you know what the resistance value should be?

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd try changing the fuel filter again, just in case. The part is cheap and it isn't a big job. Have you been trying biodiesel or something maybe? To me it really sounds like there is a blockage or restriction of some sort in the fuel system. Might be worth changing the fuel filter and running a few tanks of V-Power through it (Or the fuel-system cleaner of your choice)

As I said I had the same code at one point - The car would be fine under normal driving but if I gave it some hard acceleration it would go into limp mode with the same error, and it was all due to the diesel fuel filter in the engine bay being blocked.

The 1ND-TV engine in the Mk1 D4D has very few 'common' problems - None of that stuff you mention tends to go wrong unless the car has been neglected/abused over its lifetime. It's one of Toyota's first small displacement common-rail turbo diesels and is extremely overbuilt. All the problems it gets tend to be from things blocking up - very few mechanical ones.

Might need to wait for madasafish to chime in as he probably has the most first-hand experience with the Mk1 1.4 D4D in the forum!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cannot comment on the entire Yaris engine range, the only thing I can add is I have recently changed from the 1-4d to the 1.5 vvti. I find the engine very responsive , the gear ratios feel slightly different to the diesel with 6th gear feeling much more responsive on the petrol against 6th gear on the diesel being more of an overdrive. What I was initially concerned about was would the petrol be as easy to drive as the diesel where gear changes could be minimal. My fears were overcome when I find it is as easy to drive, feels very nippy, lighter and gear changes can be kept to a minimum, just like the diesel. In terms of economy, haven't had a real test yet but got 54mpg on a 40 mile round trip. I suspect it is comparable round the doors on short runs.

hope this helps

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, cadman2k said:

I cannot comment on the entire yaris engine range, the only thing I can add is I have recently changed from the 1-4d to the 1.5 vvti. I find the engine very responsive , the gear ratios feel slightly different to the diesel with 6th gear feeling much more responsive on the petrol against 6th gear on the diesel being more of an overdrive. What I was initially concerned about was would the petrol be as easy to drive as the diesel where gear changes could be minimal. My fears were overcome when I find it is as easy to drive, feels very nippy, lighter and gear changes can be kept to a minimum, just like the diesel. In terms of economy, haven't had a real test yet but got 54mpg on a 40 mile round trip. I suspect it is comparable round the doors on short runs.

hope this helps

On 3/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, cadman2k said:

I cannot comment on the entire yaris engine range, the only thing I can add is I have recently changed from the 1-4d to the 1.5 vvti. I find the engine very responsive , the gear ratios feel slightly different to the diesel with 6th gear feeling much more responsive on the petrol against 6th gear on the diesel being more of an overdrive. What I was initially concerned about was would the petrol be as easy to drive as the diesel where gear changes could be minimal. My fears were overcome when I find it is as easy to drive, feels very nippy, lighter and gear changes can be kept to a minimum, just like the diesel. In terms of economy, haven't had a real test yet but got 54mpg on a 40 mile round trip. I suspect it is comparable round the doors on short runs.

hope this helps

Hi Cadman2k, thanks for the information regarding Mpg very surprised the 1.5 vvti model can return 54 mpg although there is a number of variables, which could lead to that figure I.e. 1l or 1.3l would struggle more on hills or under load hence use more fuel where the 1.5l being a stronger engine would do hills in a breeze. 

Looking like fuel prices are heading skywards so I will definitely choose my next car very carefully. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership