Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First oil service new car

Luxfan77

Hi lux 2.8D 8 gen Automatic , when is it advised to have the first Oil service on Engine, gearbox transfer and diffs? (New car).

The service book says 20KKm !   However I am used to make the first service after 1000 -1500KM .  

It is my impression that is you do not make this 1500km service the drive-train components will have a short life span?

Greetings Chris

In Europe service intervals are either 12 months or 15,000km, whichever occurs first

Hi Chris, and welcome to TOC

How many years have you been used to doing 1st service at 1000-1500km?

I can (just about) remember when first service/oil change was at 1,000 miles but it was many years ago. Since then manufacturing tolerances have altered and oils have improved such that service time have extended…… saves on the pocket as well.

Thank you ,  And yes it is  m a n y  years since I last bought a new car .

The explanation about better tolerances and better oil , may sound very promising and defiantly nice for the wallet .

I know it can be a heavy subject , how to run in and now my Q about oil change . However like after marked of american precision machines diff gears like yukon ( if you re gear your diffs to accommodate larger tires )  explicitly request an oil change after 1000km .  This make me think .....  Maybe it would be better to do as in the good old days :-)  At-least it cannot harm (ecept the wallet) . 

rgds Chris

Found this guy on youtube , he seems to know what he talks about:

I've watched a few of his videos. As you say, he knows his stuff

The Aygo I purchased was an ex-demonstrator so the break in period was done by people testing the car or the dealership staff so I have no idea how it was broken in.  I guess it did not do any long drives or stayed ay a certain number of revs for long periods but after that I just have to trust to luck.