Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High level brake light

bathtub tom

MOT tomorrow and a check of the car tonight shows the high level brake light not working. Not just one or two LEDs, but the complete thing. There's power to the plug. What chance there being one in stock?

It's a sealed LED unit - 81570-0D152 it about £90 i would pop the black cover off and check the plug on it

otherwise, speak to the tester you may get away with a bit of tape over it to get it passed - if it can't see it can't be tested**

14 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

MOT tomorrow and a check of the car tonight shows the high level brake light not working. Not just one or two LEDs, but the complete thing. There's power to the plug. What chance there being one in stock?

If it's any help, Bob (1st post) I posted some pics. and a brief explanation for removal. As Bob (2nd post) remove the cover and connector first to check for 12v and earth at the connector. The connector is accessible with the light insitu. Try not to remove the light assembly though, if the whole thing has failed, before having a replacement. It will leak on refitting!

I'm reliably informed, it's a common light assembly failure and could be in stock at a dealer.

Yes, £90 plus! Crazy. There are non genuine examples available for half that Taiwan origin). Can't be any worse than the original!

2014, the same year as my car, seems to be a pattern developing here?:rolleyes:

"Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must have 2 stop lamps, one on each side." Quoted from the requirements.

"It is not a failure, its an advisory. If less than 50% of it does light up, then it becomes a failure, but if it does not work at all its advisory".

MOT testing station inform me it's an advisory! Buggrit, I've just ordered one (£101).

As Adam states: "If less than 50% of it does light up, then it becomes a failure, but if it does not work at all its advisory".

Crazy innit?

• Haha 1

£90 plus vat, there are a few people that rebuilt them you may get £20-25 on eBay for the non-working one

Update.

I've been home with covid and decided to relieve the boredom by having a play with the old brake light.

I carefully dismantled it as described in the following two links (managed to crack it in a couple of places because it was cold I think, warmed it up and it made it a lot easier):

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/201774-toyota-yaris-mk3-2013-centre-3rd-brake-light-led-replacement-solved-in-less-than-half-an-hour-and-cheap/

I didn't bother trying to replace the individual LEDs, as the whole unit wasn't working and although I'm used to soldering components onto PCBs, these surface mount LEDs looked too small for any iron I've got. I got four strips of six,red, LED, 10cm long from eBay for less than four quid. The spacing was different from the original. The original LEDs shine through a clear plastic lense, through a clear plastic diffuser and then through the red outside diffuser. Because the LEDs didn't line up with the originals, I put the strips between the two clear lens and diffuser. I had to bend the end of one strip back on itself to get it in. The wiring was simple to deal with.

The end result means I've now an eleven LED high level brake light for less than four quid and two spare LED strips. I've still got the hundred quid Toyota jobby.

My 'cheap fix' isn't as bright as the original, but I think it will do. I'l leave it in place for a while to see how durable it is.

If anyone wants to do the same, please feel free to PM me.659943822_20220318_1058121.thumb.jpg.f48394bf61f1ba1c73708dd3f8416603.jpg

20220318_111507[2].jpg

20220317_142329[1].jpg

20220318_110056[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job Bob. I tried dismantling my old one, with the same idea, and managed to break various bits, gave up.:rolleyes: It's not made for repairing easily. How did you connect the new strip's wires to the existing plug?

Have you water tested now that it's back in the car? The foam type seal doesn't like being re-used. My old one leaked when it was refitted. I knew I was going to fit a new unit so let it leak temporarily. I could have used some clear exterior silicone but didn't relish the idea of having to remove it to accomodate the new light.

3 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

How did you connect the new strip's wires to the existing plug?

I used the old brass strips, bent straight and a chocolate block, gaffer taped. I may have to re-visit that!

Have you water tested now that it's back in the car?

No, It fitted back snugly and it's not under any extreme conditions. Would it matter if water ran inside the tailgate, it's got drain holes in the bottom, the same as any other door?

21 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Would it matter if water ran inside the tailgate, it's got drain holes in the bottom, the same as any other door?

Yes, because all the water might not take full advantage of gravity and some could collect at the top. Is the tailgate treated with rust preventative?

However, It was dripping from the internal plastic cover on mine which unfortunately, because of the design, does enter the interior and onto the parcel shelf.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links