Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tsport drone at 3000rpm

corradovr6

Cant remember if i posted this enquiry previously but just wanted to know from other tsport owners whether ypu get a drone from the engine at around 3000rpm. Exhaust seems fine, its just a bit annoying and tiring on the motorway

I have a ph1 tsport.

Thanks 

Going out in a couple of hours so will have a listen.

From memory though my Tsport is fairly quiet at 3000 rpm in fifth gear which equates to 60 mph.

Is there any particular gear which you notice it more,or same in all gears ?

Going out in a couple of hours so will have a listen.

From memory though my Tsport is fairly quiet at 3000 rpm in fifth gear which equates to 60 mph.

Is there any particular gear which you notice it more,or same in all gears ?

Back from my outing , I had a listen and did not notice any droning noise at the 3000 rpm.

Aftermarket exhaust or air filter/intake ? Any passengers ?

Thanks Paul.  It just seems to have a kind of a boomy noise coming up to aroud 3000rpm, in all gears. Over that the noise goes, but its that +/-3-400 rpm range around 3000 thats most annoying. 

I recently had the backbox changed (didnt have time to do it myself) but i'll check the joint in case i'm chasing rainbows.  My old 1.3 never did this, so my initial thoughts were that the t-sport had a 'sports' exhaust on it.  

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Aftermarket exhaust or air filter/intake ?

No, totally standard.  When we got the car last year, i also thought it was due to a lack of panel damping so put a layer of damplifier on a part of the boot floor pan, which didn't do anything.  My son mentioned that you can clearly hear it as a bystander from outside, so its not just coming inside.

1 minute ago, corradovr6 said:

I recently had the backbox changed

Hmm, I wonder what's causing it?

its a strange one - the original Toyota backbox 'sounded' as though it was the cause, so the initial thought was to change it.  The replacement has made no difference, so obviously not the culprit! 

I'll put it on the ramps and check the rest of the exhaust - might be some corrosion thats not absolutely apparent, or worst case it could be a crack in the exhaust manifold..hope not.

But there's certainly an issue if Paul's T-sport (and others no doubt) is nice and quiet

The backbox will do it, i take it is an aftermarket item, you get this sort of thing especially at the lower end of the market with stuff coming out of Eastern Europe

the added back pressure and the design or lack of will change the air flow and resonance

Ah ok.  Strange thing was that the original backbox did it too.  I've fitted ones from these guys (Klarius) to my old yaris and my wifes corolla (2003) with no noise issues.  Would it be worth strapping some weights to it to reduce resonance?

2 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Ah ok.  Strange thing was that the original backbox did it too.  I've fitted ones from these guys (Klarius) to my old yaris and my wifes corolla (2003) with no noise issues.  Would it be worth strapping some weights to it to reduce resonance?

The resonance is caused by the movement of the exhaust gases, only other thing is it could need a new air filter if it hasn't been changed in a while

when's the last time it got good and hot and had a bit of spirted driving ??

filter is fairly new (prob 1000 miles), given it an Italian tune-up a few times recently.  I'll check the exhaust for leaks with an air compressor, always struggled with the engine running

Hello Hasan, I just had a look at your profile and it looks like we are over 100 miles away from each other.

Which is a shame as I could suggest you come for a ride in my Tsport and have a listen.

Still if you visit sunny Lincolnshire for any reason let me know and you would be welcome to do that.

Good luck sorting it anyway,btw could you tell me your readout for average mpg urban use if feasible please.

Hi Paul, many thanks indeed for the kind offer and i'll certainly let you know next time i'm in the area.

Since using e10 we get around 36mpg with it dropping to around 30 for town driving.  For reference, our 1.3 used to give 39-40mpg, with motorway driving giving 45mpg.

A slight drop between the 1.5 and 1.3 was expected, but it does seem more than i would have thought, but i'm also putting it down to the e10.  I'm just giving the injectors a clean with an additive (Lucas injector cleaner) so hopefully that should help improve the mpg somewhat.

Has anyone used a catalytic converter cleaner like cataclean? Had the car on the ramps today but couldn't identify any leaks with no droning at 3000rpm either. It seems it drones only when under load. Which also suggests the cat 'may' be blocked...

Bang the cat, if it rattles the core is loose, cat cleaner may work, a blocked or failing cat, will cause a drop in power as the air can not flow and/or the engine will be slow to rev

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links