Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wall charger v. Granny cable........

Lawnmowerman

Have been using the wall charger for a little while now and have noticed it is showing a higher mileage available over the Granny cable.

The Granny cable seldom went over 51 (and then only by the odd decimal point). But with the wall charger it has crept up to 54.6 (as of this evening).

Anyone else notice this?

Interesting, my granny charger maximum is 48 miles and usually 46. 

• Like 1

I find it varies significantly even though I only use a granny cable.  The ambient temperature seems to be the driver but I've not been able to work out when it makes the evaluation. But a degree or so seems to impact the projected estimated range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I find it varies significantly even though I only use a granny cable.  The ambient temperature seems to be the driver but I've not been able to work out when it makes the evaluation. But a degree or so seems to impact the projected estimated range.

Yes, on reflection that appears to be the case with me. With the mild weekend temperatures will monitor the projected fully charged range more closely.  

As above, the most likely explanation is that the days are getting longer and milder - even in the wastes of Inverness-shire ... 😉

Added to that, the estimated range is only that - an estimate based on recent driving practice. So, as you change you driving style and journey profile the range estimate will vary.

Logically, the use of the granny cable or wall charger cannot make any difference to the range provided by a full Battery - both deliver a nominal 230V with the granny cable being limited to around 10A while the wall charger will deliver around 30A (being limited by the 6.6kW onboard charger). So the real difference between the two will be the time taken to fully charge the Battery - the wall charger will be around three times quicker that the granny cable.

But, we know that EV batteries accept charge at a non-linear rate - i.e. will charge at a maximum rate (limited by the charger capacity) between 10% and around 80% charge and then progressively more slowly (limited by the battery's ability to accept charge) between 80% and 'full' charge. So, if you were to leave the car on charge for 12 hours, say the wall charger would reach the 80% point more quickly and would then have a far longer time to trickle charge the Battery up towards the 'full' charge point. The granny charger would have just a effective a capacity to get the battery to the  'full' charge point but would have far less time (in this 'experiment') to do so ... just a thought ...

• Thanks 1

From my experience and based only on the granny cable the system is smart enough to work out the variables (current Battery capacity, temperature, available charge rate etc.) and start the charge to be sure that at the time I want the car to be available the charge is full. (Obviously you can set the charge to charge now, start charge but I have mine set to the time I want the car to be ready and available)

It is definitely a shaped charge and has a reasonably long final taper to 100%.

I’m so used to just plugging it in and letting the system sort it out which it does very effectively. When I was charging during the summer and it was warm overnight the system would engage the blower cooling system almost from the start of the charge.

On Saturday morning in 'sunny' Inverness-shire it was -2, this morning plus 1.

My sister lives near Foyers so this temperatures sound positively tropical to them! 

10 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

On Saturday morning in 'sunny' Inverness-shire it was -2, this morning plus 1.

If it's any consolation to you, although it was a balmy 6°C this morning, where I am, at 500 metres altitude in the sunny south of France it has been between -3°C and 0°C most mornings the last week. True, it has gone up to mid teens during the day.

13 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

My sister lives near Foyers so this temperatures sound positively tropical to them! 

13 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

If it's any consolation to you, although it was a balmy 6°C this morning, where I am, at 500 metres altitude in the sunny south of France it has been between -3°C and 0°C most mornings the last week. True, it has gone up to mid teens during the day.

Technically I am in Ross-shire (Black Isle) so in the country and colder than coastal Inverness where I work 🙂

7 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Technically I am in Ross-shire (Black Isle) so in the country and colder than coastal Inverness where I work 🙂

Hello neighbour, I used to live in Culbokie, still miss the view of the Ben.

11 minutes ago, ZZYGY said:

Hello neighbour, I used to live in Culbokie, still miss the view of the Ben.

Culbokie, great vantage point for the Ben  - delivered a fair amount of lawn tractors in that area 👍.

I'm in the Muir 🙂.

• Like 1