Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Castrol Edge 5w30 not suitable?

Kmac888

hi everyone. I was in costco yesterday, they had 4 litres of Castrol Edge LL 5w30 full synthetic for a bargain £21. I bought it immediately but then went on line and found some conflicting information. Some say this is not suitable for my vehicle others say as long as its 5w30 its fine.  I'm worried because I don't want to use the wrong type of oil as I only do an oil/filter change once per year. My car is a 2012 Yaris 1.4 diesel with DPF 

0001099_castrol-edge-5w-30-ll-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.jpeg

images.jpeg

What does your owners manual recommend?

• Like 1

See:

For a diesel with DPF oil should be 0W-30 or 5W-30 C2 low ash. The photo of the back of the oil container doesn't enlarge enough to see whether the oil you've bought is C2.

it says c3....does this surpass c2 in the same way brake fluid dot4 exceeds dot3? thanls

15 minutes ago, Kmac888 said:

it says c3....does this surpass c2 in the same way brake fluid dot4 exceeds dot3? thanls

Best to Google it and you will find plenty of information. C3 has better protection at higher temperatures but may not be interchangeable with C2, it will depend on manufacturer recommendation. Check owners manual and if in doubt best to return and buy the one that is exactly your spec,£ 20-30 savings against engine rebuild or replacement, although I don’t believe it will cause any issues. All is up to you. 

From what I've seen C2 engine oils achieve better economy than C3 engine oils by reducing friction in the engine. So you may find using a C3 has an effect, possibly minimal, on fuel economy. 

thanks google is full of conflicting information I don't have an owners manual but even if I did the information would be 10 years out of date 

If it says C2 then you should use C2.  Often C2 will be marked as suitable for Peugeot and Citroen. e.g. PSA B71 2290

There will be no issue, don't worry yourself.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

There will be no issue, don't worry yourself.

thank you all for the advise much appreciated 

thank you all for your advice. I have now bought some carlube R-tec23 which is a "c2" low sap fully synthetic 5w30. I still have the Castrol edge and was wondering if I can use this in my partners Yaris its the same year as mine but a 1.3 petrol. The manual says it prefers 0w20 but 5w30 is an alternative. The weather in the UK isn't cold enough to warrant a 0w.....what do you think?

The ACEA specification for C3 engine oil states:

"ACEA C3

Same as C2 except for HTHS > 3.5 and without Fuel Economy performance.

Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and petrol engines, with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life." Would have thought it will be OK to use in the Yaris rather than not use it.

The Yaris owners manual will say that 'the preferred oil is 0W-20. 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.'

Incidentally, Toyota has been using 0W-20 engine oil in it's Optimal Drive petrol engines since 2008, and has moved onto 0W-16 for some since 2019. The latest Yaris uses 0W-8. 

Our i20 uses 0W-30.

would you use the Castrol edge 5w30 in the petrol yaris (2012) or should I go for 0w20 

I'd use it rather than not use it.