Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of leaving this forum

FORBES

I joined to find out things about the rav4 hev. Which I have ordered but it seems to me most topics go off topic very quickly or they are about the phev. Call me old school but I open the car door get in the seat put on the seat belt press the start button put it into drive and of i go. The range says 400 odd miles till I need to fill up. Yes it very expensive just now but so will electricity soon. and that does me for at least 3 weeks no faffing about with cables or apps just good old fashioned common sense. Now 1 of the topics have gone off topic going on about Russia. Come on the governors of this forum this is a rav4 forum nothing else. Rant over. Would it not be better to have a separate forum for the mk4 and mk5 rav4 instead of having to wade through everything 

Edited by FORBES
  • Like 3

Ignore the waffle, there is a lot of good stuff on here if you look

• Like 4

I used to read majority of posts but not now. Sooooo many of them are about ordering-delivery times of vehicles, that gets rid of a load, probably over half. Then I sift through others and may or may not browse.  Life’s too short. 😁

• Like 1

Joe is right, read the posts you want and skip the rest, once more it’s personal choice.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I used to read majority of posts but not now. Sooooo many of them are about ordering-delivery times of vehicles

I agree and I have been as guilty as most maybe worth having a new order section? to help tidy up the other sections.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger_N said:

I agree and I have been as guilty as most maybe worth having a new order section? to help tidy up the other sections.

Mike (FBalls) can just bin them all.  😎
You get the car when it arrives.

Topic drift is one of the frustrations and fun of forums such as this. Many topics also cover the HEV and PHEV. Lighten up a little and go with the flow, there is a lot of good information on this forum. 

• Like 5

Can't say it bothers me, if it drifts to somewhere I'm not interested in I just stop reading it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FORBES said:

Would it not be better to have a separate forum for the mk4 and mk5 rav4 instead of having to wade through everything 

Separate forums for the different marks of models has been raised previously. Some members already have difficulty navigating the separate model forums, let alone sub-dividing these into marks.

We have contributing members who own earlier marks than the mark 4 and 5, so presumably would need separate forums for the marks 1 to 3.

If we were to do this we would have to do the same for the other models - eg. 2 for the Aygo, 4 for the Yaris, potentially 12 for the Corolla (though workably just 6), 2 for the Auris, 3 for the Avensis, 5 for the Rav4, 4 for the Prius, etc,

Plus separate ones for the Aygo X, Yaris Cross, Corolla Cross, and forthcoming BEV's.

Do we also have separate forums for HEV's, PHEV's?

As regards a new order section - again should that be one for all models, one for each model or what? 

The Club did go through a re-vamp last year, which tidied things up.

5 hours ago, FORBES said:

Now 1 of the topics have gone off topic going on about Russia. Come on the governors of this forum this is a rav4 forum nothing else. Rant over.

We have a small moderating team (2) who do this on a voluntary basis, have other lives to live (including work) and, to be honest, we don't have the time to go through the various forums to delete old topics.

We do allow a degree of variance in topics, and yes, we could police topics more rigidly, but I for one, am not convinced that is what the majority of members want.

If members no longer find the forums useful, they can opt out if they wish. It is their choice.

• Like 8

There is a lot of useful information here on all models.

And very knowledgeable members who are very helpful and kind in their replies to queries.

And yes sometimes the conversation drifts a bit into non car related subjects, but I embrace this as a positive,of course we are all different but I don't think of it as purely an information bank, but a connection with like minded car enthusiasts.

If it was rigidly restricted to car q & a it may not have the genuine helpfulness and friendliness of the members.

Maybe stay awhile and enjoy the social (albeit virtual) side too.

🙂

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

There is a lot of useful information here on all models.

And very knowledgeable members who are very helpful and kind in their replies to queries.

And yes sometimes the conversation drifts a bit into non car related subjects, but I embrace this as a positive,of course we are all different but I don't think of it as purely an information bank, but a connection with like minded car enthusiasts.

If it was rigidly restricted to car q & a it may not have the genuine helpfulness and friendliness of the members.

Maybe stay awhile and enjoy the social (albeit virtual) side too.

🙂

I second that Paul

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Do we also have separate forums for HEV's, PHEV's?

What might be useful is a separate sub-forum for PHEV topics in general which cuts across and apply to all PHEV models - charge point installations, charge point operation, charging networks, charging cables, electricity tariffs for PHEVs etc etc.

As forums go, these are probably the most polite and lightly moderated that I has used over 30 years experience. If I want to find something specific I use the search function which reduces the need to trawl the site.  Quite impressive that it runs so well with only two mods.

• Like 3

I find the topic drift amusing, there is even some chap who comments who doesn't even have a RAV4, he has a Yaris and hates SUVs like RAV4.... funny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ZZYGY said:

As forums go, these are probably the most polite and lightly moderated that I has used over 30 years experience. If I want to find something specific I use the search function which reduces the need to trawl the site.  Quite impressive that it runs so well with only two mods.

Agree, I was on a forum (for caravans) that was closed down entirely due the aggressive behaviour of some members! 

• Haha 1

It was suggested some time ago that topics specific to the the PHEV should be titeled PHEV - xxxxxxxxx.  However, many of the features, construction and general questions relate to both the HEV/PHEV models and I think this might limit the feedback and discussion if the PHEV was split into a separate thread. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

I find the topic drift amusing, there is even some chap who comments who doesn't even have a RAV4, he has a Yaris and hates SUVs like RAV4.... funny!

Guilty as charged! :laugh: 

I just tend to look in the 'latest posts' and jump in with both feet if something looks interesting, without even looking at what forum it's in :laugh: 

But there is a lot of cross-pollination, esp. with engines (Did you know the original RAV4 has the same running gear as a Celica GT4??)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

I don't see anything wrong with him or this point of view. Why would someone own an object which they don't like. I don't think i like SUV either (so RAV4 was out), wanted Corolla but lack of space was an issue, so settled for a CHR which is a crossover. You can always ignore topics you don't like. I give lots of credits to mods, they are just two of them, do voluntarily, and they are doing fantastic job. 

1 hour ago, Spo2 said:

I don't see anything wrong with him or this point of view. Why would someone own an object which they don't like. I don't think i like SUV either (so RAV4 was out), wanted Corolla but lack of space was an issue, so settled for a CHR which is a crossover. You can always ignore topics you don't like. I give lots of credits to mods, they are just two of them, do voluntarily, and they are doing fantastic job. 

The C-HR is an SUV - Toyota market it as such: https://www.toyota.co.uk/suv/ ... 😜

TBH the label "SUV" has become a pretty meaningless marketing tag - hating anything just because it is labelled an SUV is a tad mindless. A gas guzzling 4x4 that never does anything more that the school run and a trip to the supermarket is a bit 'silly', but a C-HR or RAV4 hybrid really don't fall into the same category.

The C-HR is a excellent car BTW - my wife has one. I tried to interest her in the Yaris - another excellent car - but it was "too small and tinny" (she wasn't taken with it at all). She loves her C-HR - the C-HR is "just right".

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority to be fair, as almost everyone seems to want an SUV/Crossover/4x4 these days - The fact that even Toyota have SUV'd all of their cars (The Corolla, the Yaris... Even the Aygo! The AYGO!!! :eek: ) just shows the trend.

<rant>

My main gripe is that often they are just worse than normal cars - slower, more expensive to run, can't see anything etc., and I don't understand why so many people want them so much. Is it just some psychological association that bigger is better?? My old Mk2 had the same high driving position and easy entry that people cite as a reason for getting an SUV, but it was a normal car. And the amount of interior space of a lot of SUVs and Crossovers is far worse than it should be - One of the reasons I didn't get a Hyundai Kona EV back in the day was the rear passenger space was ridiculous - Worse than my Yaris Mk1, Mk2 or Mk4! But on the outside it's massive compared to all three of those!

It's what I consider the backwards-TARDIS effect :laugh: 

And they are just so *big* now - The RAV4 is the size of an old Landcruiser! I still remember it as the original crossover/suv like the jimny - If you ever see a modern RAV4 one parked next to the original you'd be like woah... that has put on a lot of weight over the years :laugh: 

The other thing I don't understand is why so many people choose such massive vehicles to drive around *in London* - I could understand arguments for the extra ground clearance in the countryside, even if half of them are incapable of actually going off-road or AWD, but London?? The most congested city in the UK?? They are constantly getting stuck when two of them come from opposite directions in a side road, and of course neither of the drivers knows how to reverse (Because London drivers suck) so they just get stuck there looking at each other like they're trying to use The Force to move the other person out the way. Oh well, the one good thing is I can snipe a lot of parking spaces they can't fit in to :laugh: 

So yeah, speaking of topic drift...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I feel I'm in the minority ...

Well, yes, since most of the legitimate posters on this RAV4 forum have chosen to drive RAV4s - because they need AWD, because they need the space, because they need the easy access or because they just want one!

😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I meant in the general world view of things, and not just in here, but good point! :laugh: 

Crossovers and suv typically offer more interior space for the same or smaller footprint in comparison with saloon or estate cars, plus the higher seating position gives owners a fake feeling of security over standard cars and also these two categories cars can go over speed bumps at higher speeds, something typical for London and London driving style. There is no worse place to drive a car in uk other than London and particularly east, south east, north east  and central. Mpv or cars like Vw id3 should be the ones who replace suv and crossovers as these also offer same or even better practicality  over standard cars while remain smaller and lower than suv, these are the ultimate shape of the future and probably will come back. 

Maybe we should all drive a Mini to ease congestion, save the planet and avoid upsetting those that dislike SUVs?  Have you, though, compared today's nice, 'small' Mini alongside an original one....?!?!

31 minutes ago, Centaur said:

Maybe we should all drive a Mini to ease congestion, save the planet and avoid upsetting those that dislike SUVs?  Have you, though, compared today's nice, 'small' Mini alongside an original one....?!?!

Or better still, why not walk.

I bought my C-HR (considered to be a SUV) because I liked the look of the car and it was full of safety features. No other reason. 

Now this is really off topic !!