Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of leaving this forum

FORBES

22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

... also these two categories cars can go over speed bumps at higher speeds, something typical for London and London driving style...

You'd think so, but literally every SUV driver seems to crawl over speed humps here!! It's maddening when you see some gigantic whale boat car go from 40mph (in a 30-zone because of course) down to like, 2, just because of a speed hump, then fly off again. Or tailgate me down said road, only to suddenly disappear from my rear-view when we get to the speed humps because I don't bother to slow down (as I'm already going at an appropriate speed, also 15's! :naughty: ), but they slam on the anchors because they all have 23-million-inch rims so if they even look at a speed hump or pothole they risk a pinch puncture. What's the point?!

10 minutes ago, Centaur said:

Maybe we should all drive a Mini to ease congestion, save the planet and avoid upsetting those that dislike SUVs?  Have you, though, compared today's nice, 'small' Mini alongside an original one....?!?!

Oh god no, I hate those even more than I hate SUVs! Again, don't understand why they are so popular! They are so ugly! And they suck! The handling's awful, the space inside is a joke, they're not efficient, the ride sucks, they are unreliable as smeg... why are they so popular?!

• Like 1

Something to do with cake?? :confused1:

• Haha 3

The reason my wife and I went for a SUV was purely space, the ability to have a substantial dog crate in the rear to house our fairly large lurcher and still have enough passenger room to take the my in-laws out for the day, often with the dog tagging along.  That was six years ago and life has changed so very much, the dog has aged so much that, while we still walk him twice a day, his days of jumping into the back of the SUV and running around the forest is really behind him.  The same could be said for my in-laws, no they never used to jump into the back of the SUV or run around the forest (while not since I have known them) but now in their nineties they do not walk very far.  Trips to the the local garden centre are the norm along with the increasing number of visits to the doctor or the hospital.  So our lifestyle has changed and the requirements of the SUV have gone hence our recent swap of the SUV to an Aygo, it was either that or give up driving altogether. 

The SUV was not a Toyota but a Honda CRV, so what interest would I have in a RAV4 and why would I visit the RAV4 forum, well my brother owned a RAV4 until recently and I have a real interest in what others are doing in their life.   So there are other reasons for following other forums other than just ownership.

I can't say I follow a tremendous number of forums but I have followed a number in the past,  not only related to motoring but also computer generated art which is another love of mine.   Some I left very quickly as they were more orientated in personal attacks and flame wars than anything else and life is too short to waste time with such things.  What they all had in common was that the topics had a tendency to drift but that is not surprising when you think of it, life is the same.  I recently met up with a with a couple of people I used to work with and we had a meal together, the number of topics covered in the few hours was immense and the conversation drifted off topic and back on again a number of times, why should threads be any different.

What you get from web sites such as this is very much up to the individual, personally, I see it very much as a lending library where you have mass of information at your finger tips that you can pick up and put down to your hearts content.   I have not been here for more than a few weeks but I have already found this to be a pleasant and easy going place to visit.  My questions have resulted in some quick and detailed responses and I have gained and great deal of knowledge in the field of Aygo ownership and also the wider aspect of Toyota Ownership, what it there not to like?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Every forum I’ve ever been on drifts and not only because of me 🤔😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

So to get back to the topic in question  - thinking of leaving this forum.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why are you thinking of leaving Mike?? You seem to have been here forever 😁

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Why are you thinking of leaving Mike?? You seem to have been here forever 😁

No, I'm afraid you're stuck with me for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Guilty as charged! :laugh: 

I just tend to look in the 'latest posts' and jump in with both feet if something looks interesting, without even looking at what forum it's in :laugh: 

But there is a lot of cross-pollination, esp. with engines (Did you know the original RAV4 has the same running gear as a Celica GT4??)

You keep posting wherever you like buddy. Until old Putin arrives here with his tanks enjoy a free country and the right to voice any opinion you want. 

PS the new Yaris Cross is gorgeous get one of those.. Baby RAV4 haha!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

No, get a C-HR 😀

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Big_D said:

No, get a C-HR 😀

Actually, I really wanted one for my wife, but they are too bloomin expensive!! Even used they hold a lot of value for a long time. 

• Like 1

Too true Rav Rob, but they are lovely and worth every penny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Something to do with cake?? :confused1:

A lemon drizzle cake is awaiting my attention accompanied by a strong black coffee.

Topic drift ? I like it 😎

Hello Cyker, you may remember my previous posts about coming from a Honda CRV to my Tsport.

The Honda was bought with the intention of motorway journeys to Cornwall and maybe Spain too , stuffed with camping gear and a 12 v fridge.

The comfort and ease of getting in and out (old and creaking) was a plus too.

However, circumstances can change very quickly and it soon became redundant when my journeys changed to running around town and even around the corner to the pharmacy 500 metres away.

The diesel 2.2 with a turbo on it and accompanying dpf and other emmisions gubbins resulted in me taking  it on a 10 mile run just to go round the corner in order to get the engine hot enough to keep it healthy.

So the Tsport is ideal for my current use ie nipping around town and the odd longer run , but I can point out that the Honda huge as it was returned around 40 mpg as opposed to the Tsport which returns around 32 mpg.

I have now realised that I am drifting from my own post, never mind the topic.🤪

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Too true Rav Rob, but they are lovely and worth every penny

Steady!! for the wife (spending our own money not the employers) lovely doesn't come into it! haha!

I still managed to buy her a brand new compact SUV (same size as C-HR) with lots of nice things for less than Toyota want for even a basic dinky Yaris. She is happy enough.... but I digress....

• Haha 2

That is the one downside of Toyota hybrid'ing all of their cars - It has brought the price up quite a lot! I never thought I'd drop nearly 25k on a car, never mind a Yaris :eek: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

Steady!! for the wife (spending our own money not the employers) lovely doesn't come into it! haha!

I still managed to buy her a brand new compact SUV (same size as C-HR) with lots of nice things for less than Toyota want for even a basic dinky Yaris. She is happy enough.... but I digress....

I'm spending my own money too. And we need to stay on topic

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

You keep posting wherever you like buddy. Until old Putin arrives here with his tanks enjoy a free country and the right to voice any opinion you want. 

Tried the Yaris Cross - the sharp crease at the cill which catches your  calf muscle - well it was a no from me...........................

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:55 PM, FORBES said:

I joined to find out things about the rav4 hev. Which I have ordered but it seems to me most topics go off topic very quickly or they are about the phev. Call me old school but I open the car door get in the seat put on the seat belt press the start button put it into drive and of i go. The range says 400 odd miles till I need to fill up. Yes it very expensive just now but so will electricity soon. and that does me for at least 3 weeks no faffing about with cables or apps just good old fashioned common sense. Now 1 of the topics have gone off topic going on about Russia. Come on the governors of this forum this is a rav4 forum nothing else. Rant over. Would it not be better to have a separate forum for the mk4 and mk5 rav4 instead of having to wade through everything 

I get what you're saying. Personally I think there should be a separate forum for the PHEV maybe, or one for current models only. I've only been here a year myself with my Excel AWD Hev. The good news is your miles to go should be over 500 rather 400.😁

The good news is your miles to go should be over 500 rather 400.😁

Yes but will still work out the same as only a 43 ltr tank on the lexus 

• 2 weeks later...

Surely for drift you should go to the AE86 forum?

Badoom-tish…

• Haha 2

This topic has drifted way off course 😀

On 3/12/2022 at 11:01 PM, Rav Rob said:

I find the topic drift amusing, there is even some chap who comments who doesn't even have a RAV4, he has a Yaris and hates SUVs like RAV4.... funny!

It takes all kinds 😃 variety being the spice of life 👏👏

• Haha 2

On 3/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, Cyker said:

You'd think so, but literally every SUV driver seems to crawl over speed humps here!! It's maddening when you see some gigantic whale boat car go from 40mph (in a 30-zone because of course) down to like, 2, just because of a speed hump, then fly off again. Or tailgate me down said road, only to suddenly disappear from my rear-view when we get to the speed humps because I don't bother to slow down (as I'm already going at an appropriate speed, also 15's! :naughty: ), but they slam on the anchors because they all have 23-million-inch rims so if they even look at a speed hump or pothole they risk a pinch puncture. What's the point?!

Oh god no, I hate those even more than I hate SUVs! Again, don't understand why they are so popular! They are so ugly! And they suck! The handling's awful, the space inside is a joke, they're not efficient, the ride sucks, they are unreliable as smeg... why are they so popular?!

It could be that they are regarded as a fashion statement, for instance “The Chelsea Tractor”😂🤣🤔

• Haha 2