Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tips and tricks for replacing water pump? Avensis 1AZ-FSE

ulflun

Hello!

I'm about to change a water pump on a Avensis. I've managed to remove the four screws on the pump pulley on the water pump without the special tool. However there is not room enough to get the pulley out. I also managed to get all screws out from the pump without one, in the bottom. It's very tight with space... and I don't seem to reach/get to it. Do you have any tips of getting at the last screw?

I looked at the manual but it does not give me any clues. Do you have any ideas?

image.thumb.png.49569844f4e4ce02715f19a8761865b0.png

Thanks!

Ok guys so I managed to get the pump pulley out after removing a bracket bolt (for the ABS?) that was blocking the pulley to come out some millimeters. Then I managed ro reach the last bolt to loosen the water pump (after loosing the starter a bit). Last thing now before removing the whole pump is to remove this cable mount attached to the pump, its a PITA. Same type of cable mounts that is mounted on the starter. Super stiff plastic and I will probably need to destroy it to loosen it. I will now pause and try loosing it one more time.

So this operation is probably doable without going through the wheel area. Would be interested in hearing whats best practise.

1332353715_20220313_1210132.thumb.jpg.ad2033e43fca71486b319c28f8f49416.jpg

20220313_121024.thumb.jpg.caa8cd8d2910d5e7701d08fb5ee7b489.jpg

• Like 1

I cannot advise or add much more part from being briefly covered in the Haynes manua,l for the Mk1 T22 with the same engine. Having replaced the water pump on my 1.8 Valvematic, I can say it is not too difficult with right tools. Also removing the access panel covers in the wheel arch may help. The differences are the water pump and pulley are one unit, and the tensioner is manual for the Valvematic engines, with the auxillary belt only going around four pulleys. 
Anyway, well done. 
Here is my post for the Valvematic engines.

• 6 months later...

For follow up - It worked!

Right tool is key (as always)... I bought a long pair of plyers to de-attach the cable on the pump. Tight space, but re-assembled everything and it worked. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ulflun said:

For follow up - It worked!

Right tool is key (as always)... I bought a long pair of plyers to de-attach the cable on the pump. Tight space, but re-assembled everything and it worked. 

The trick is to have either the right tools or be very innovative, especially when dealing with tight spaces. I now have a set of long aircraft spanners, that I used to change a noisy pulley on a Honda Jazz. 

YouTube can be your friend too. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links